Poll: Which Service is “Most Important?”

Military folks love nothing more than a good service rivalry. This is silly because, obviously, the Army rocks the most. (Wait – did I say that out loud?)

A Military.com story hit at the issue again this week, reporting that Americans believe the U.S. Army and the Marines are the most important to national defense, followed by the Air Force and the Navy, a Gallup poll indicated.

Agree? Disagree? Take the poll.

Amy is the editor in chief of Military.com’s spouse and family blog SpouseBuzz.com. A journalist by trade, Amy also covers spouse and family news for Military.com where she is the managing editor of spouse and family content. An Army wife and mother of two, Amy has been featured as a subject matter expert on CNN.com, NPR, Fox News, NBC, CBS, ABC and BBC as well as in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal and Washington Post. Follow her on twitter @amybushatz.

27 Comments on "Poll: Which Service is “Most Important?”"

1. Wait, you meant that's silly because whoever controls the oceans controls the world, so obviously the NAVY rocks the most right? Yep, I thought so ;)

2. I like how the Coast Guard has once again been forgotten. There are FIVE armed services…

• We still love the Coast Guard! The more I learn about the jobs they do, the more impressed I am.

• Were you also aware that they were right up there in Viet Nam like the big guys? And like all American Servicemen/women women they served and died bravely and proudly. My husband and his fellow G. I's spent time in China Beach with them.

• Go Coasties!

I think people forget it's one of the five armed services, but they probably do because it isn't within the Department of Defense since it is part of the Department of Homeland Security.

• And what are the other two uniformed services under Tricare?

• I don't know that being "under Tricare" is their defining characteristic, but the other two uniformed services are the United States Public Health Service Commissioned Corps and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Commissioned Corps. I had known about the PHSCC, but I didn't realize that NOAA had commissioned officers until my husband and I met one at a local harbor festival. His job sounded fascinating.

• Were always forgotten…..

• We (the coast guard) are forgotten most of the time. We put ourselves in harms way every day just like the other armed services. Its sad the uscg does not get more recognition

• Tim Corcoran | February 4, 2013 at 4:53 pm |

The Coast Guard isn't really part of the military. Mostly boy scouts scouting US waters for drug interception. It just turns out that it is a federal job kind of like the boarder patrol.

3. I think all services are equally important. As for the Navy, well, I'm just partial.

Remember, 70% of the world is water.
    And 80% of the world's population lives on/near that water.
    And 90% of the world's commerce travels by sea

…. all policed by the United States Navy. No Navy wouldn't just be a detriment to the American people, but it'd upset the entire world's shipping lanes.

4. SemperSteen | June 24, 2011 at 6:15 pm |

I'm not arrogant enough to claim the Marine Corps is "most important," but this branch is definitely something special. Marines simply get the job done and look damn good while doing it.

On a somewhat related note, I would highly, highly recommend everyone watch the documentary series "WWII in HD" on instant netflix. On top of being a very moving and intense series, it really shows how all the military branches worked together to lay waste to the Axis powers. The power of the American military as a whole is staggering.

5. SailorMade | June 29, 2011 at 5:07 pm |

All 5 branches are equally important, No one, not even spouses know just how much work is done by each branch, My husband is a Sailor, my father was a Marine, my sister was Army, and my Godfather was a Coastie! They ALL RAWK!!!!!!

6. If you think the ability to control the high seas and ensure free trade and force projection is important, than the Navy.__If you think the ability to sustain operations on land both here and abroad in order to gain and hold the ground against the enemy is important, than the Army.__If you think the ability to strike hard, fast and precise around the world is important, than the Airforce.__If you think the ability to deploy anywhere on a moments notice with the intent to strike the enemy in the air, sea or land, than the Marines.__If you think the ability to protect our waterways and coasts against enemies both large and small than the Coast Guard.__If you think all of these abilities are important, than you need to start looking past this question.

7. stupid question

8. Anyone who wants to see women in combat haS probably never been there.

Most women have seen Combat when their convoy has hit an IED.

This is the same as saying thAT WACS and NURSES in London during air raids in WW2

became qualified as combat jnfantrymen.

The fate of any woman captured alive is unthinkable.

• Amen to that – couldn't imagine a wife or daughter in that situation. This whole thing has resulted from a few libbers who have screamed loud enough to screw it up for all females. Women are not physiologically nor anatomically the same as men and that tends to reduce their effectiveness in infantry combat. But it is not politically correct to say that even though it is fact.

9. This question was probably put out there by someone who has never served. After 20 years serving in the USAF and working side by side with members of every branch, including the USCG, we are all a piece of America's resolve, doing whatever mission we have been given. As for women in combat, they are already there, maybe not in the actual combat laden career fields but they are there. If women meet and complete the exact training standards, without any deviations, then they would have earned the right. But, we all know the military is not perfect, there will be someone out there who will take it to another level to make it extremely hard for them. I have the upmost respect and admiration for all my military brothers and sisters, past and present.

10. I think this poll was put out for a little fun, nothing more then playful rivalry. Every branch of our Military are contributors to the safety of our Country. With that said Go Army! Lol

11. This is political. All services are there for a pupose

12. Anonymouse | March 2, 2013 at 12:38 pm |

All service branches are equally important. How they are employed/deployed is sometimes not very bright; that's not the decision of the branches but of the political chieftains that control them.

13. When given a mission and the US Military is allowed to accomplish it without civilian and press interference we hit on all cylinders like a well oiled machine. Any of you remember Gulf Storm, Gen Norman was placed in charge and assembled a staff and they planned each operation as a team, the press had their daily briefing and were not imbedded with the troops and creating stories. When the go order was given it was kinda like watching a precision machine. Yes, we fuss and argue amongst our selves like siblings but when push comes to shove we usually come together as a family. I am a retired Msgt,USAF 3 tours in Nam. Second tour there I was assigned to an Army Air Field. My Base in Thailand(Utapao) supported the rescue of Merchant Ship Mayguez and the Evac of Saigon and Cambodia. My shop had men on the ground in both Saigon and Phenom Phen supporting the airlift. Everybody has a job to do and I believe we all do it exceptionally well.

14. William Goward | May 25, 2013 at 10:48 pm |

It takes all arm forces working together to keep this Nation STRONG and we are all brothers that ban together the women made Great nurses and suffered the pain of watching the results of WAR from the dead to the wounded warriors they nursed. SOMETIMES THEY CAN ONLY HOLD YOUR HAND AND try to understand Yes we are a Great country and I salute this day of all branches of the service. Vietnam veteran wound warrior.

15. Completely agree! I'd drink to that!

HOOAH! ;)

16. And just think,they be thinking they all that, and they still having to hitch a ride! oorah Gotta love our boys no matter which coos they wear, and the marines gotta lot of colors in their wardrobes these days. Much PRIDE and RESPECT coming your way.

17. MCPO USCG | May 30, 2012 at 10:58 pm |

I noticed that you were unable to get any part of the Coast Guard for your trophy.
    Semper Paratus