POLL: How I Met My Spouse

We thought it might be fun to find out where you met your spouse– and what better way than a poll! Go ahead and select how you met your spouse from the poll options in the sidebar to the right, and then check the stats below.

For those of you who need to take the poll 3 or 4 times…um…should we include a ‘which one?’ option?

Jacey Eckhart
Jacey Eckhart is the former Director of Spouse and Family Programs for Military.com. Since 1996, Eckhart’s take on military families has been featured in her syndicated column, her book The Homefront Club, and her award winning CDs These Boots and I Married a Spartan?? Most recently she has been featured as a military family subject matter expert on NBC Dateline, CBS morning news, CNN, NPR and the New York Times. Eckhart is an Air Force brat, a Navy wife and an Army mom. Find her at JaceyEckhart.net.

63 Comments on "POLL: How I Met My Spouse"

1. We went to college on different coasts, but met as college freshmen while he was on winter break, visiting some high school friends. One of them had become my roommate. We kept in very infrequent touch, basically whenever we happened to be at the same event and were tagged in photos on Facebook afterward.
    About five years later, I was in his college town for an internship and asked for advice on things to do and see. He suggested a few, invited me out for coffee while he was in town, and that turned out to be our first date! A year of long-distance, a couple months of living in the same town, then a year-long deployment, and now we're newlyweds dealing with deployment #2. It may get lonely sometimes, but I wouldn't trade him for anything.

2. I'm surprised you don't have "online dating" as an option! That's how I met mine! =)

3. I'm engaged to be married in 261 days … aka … as soon as possible after fiance gets back home from deployment! He and I met online and I know one married couple in his squadren that also met online as well as another engaged couple and one couple that is currently dating!

Perhaps this should be a new option on the poll!?

• Note … we did of course date, fall in love, and get engaged in "real life" … didn't want there to be confusion there!

• My husband and I met online last April. I came out here on a leap of faith fell in love and we got married right before he got deployed. I am excited for you and dont even know you!!!

• Thank you! He’s perfect for me, even if I only get to have him in “real life” part of the year!

4. I met my future wife at a Christmas party my younger brother chided me into attending. He was in high school and I was home on leave from Boot Camp in San Diego. It was a great party. I went to my first duty station and we corresponded the whole year before deciding to get married. I traveled back from the Azores space-A on 30-days leave. Great honeymoon all around the West (from Boulder, CO). Then I went back to the Azores to finish the tour. We’ve been married now for 49 years (this August).

5. we met in highschool, got married before he left for basic (no kids) and have been together for over 17 years

• Breanna Crowley | March 27, 2012 at 6:29 pm |

I am in high school and I am a junior and met my true love. We have been together for almost ten months. We both love each other dearly. After I graduate I am going into the Navy for four years. I am terrified that he is going to meet someone when I am away. I just have to trust him and I do. I know it is going to be really hard to be away from him for so long time. How hard will it be and how do you get through it and be able to focus on your work?

6. Internet…started chatting, then phone calls, then the first date – here we are, almost 9 years later, 6 1/2 of which married…

• same here we meet on line then talked on the phone for 6 months then met and spent 2 weeks together. and we have been married 9 years . 4 deployments and all.

7. Kirsten spear | March 15, 2012 at 5:07 pm |

I met my husband at work we were both correctional officers for the county jail. We became very good friends however were both married at the time so we just remained friends with no hope of it ever being anything more. He then changed jobs and became a police officer and got divorced I also changed jobs oddly enough to being a 911 dispatcher and also got divorced. We then decided we would try dating we went on three dates and were married with in the year. We have been married for two years with two wonderful boys.

8. Through an arranged marriage done by our mothers who worked together. We were set-up by our mothers. His mom saw my picture on my mothers desk at work and my mother did not care for my off again, on again boyfriend at the time. So, they both plotted and decided to give their match-making skills a try. My mother came home and told me that her friend's son was going to e-mail me and to "be nice, he was away in the military and just wanted someone to talk to." Well, trusting my mother and being a military brat and sister myself I thought we were going to be pen pals. Little did I know, a romance would blossom and we would be married a year later living our dream come true. Perhaps, mother really does know best!

9. My wife and I met in September 1977 at Norwich University, the military college in Vermont, both of us were members of the Cadet Corps. I was a junior, she was a freshman. Our 1st date was the following February, got engaged that July and were married in June '82…

• My husband and I met at Norwich in 1990, but were just friends until 1995 when we started dating. We were married in White Chapel in 1997. He is currently deployed, but will be home on R&R for our 15th anniversary.
      Just wanted to share with another Norwich couple. Congrats!

10. We were Gulf War pen pals (the first Gulf War). Twenty years and counting!

11. athenacollette | March 15, 2012 at 7:41 pm |

My husband and I met when we were in 2nd grade after my family returned from an Army tour in Bamberg, Germany. His family were refugees from Thailand. Living in such a small town, 5000 at the time, everyone got to know everyone. We have been married now over 16 years.

12. I was a TV News Reporter covering the build up to the Gulf War in Saudi Arabia and he was a 1st Lt with the Marines.

13. We were both in the same platoon put on a task together. We clicked right away, but were just friends for several months (I had a boyfriend). After the boyfriend PCSed and that relationship ended we started hanging around together more often. I have to admit it wasn't the most romantic thing (as neither of us are the touchy, feely, romantic type), but we pretty much just decided one night to get married. That was over 17 years ago.

14. At an ROTC party in college. But we were just friends for 5 years before I saw him in a new light. LOL.

15. I met him when I was in college but I didn't meet him in school! I was at a Saint Patrick's Day party and my friend's room mate's boyfriend had three of his friends join him at the party…. one of which caught my eye and now fast forward four years later and we are married!

16. Heather H. | March 16, 2012 at 5:32 pm |

I met Jeremy after sending an email to support the troops sponsored by a news station in San Diego. We became email pen pals while he was on a West Pac and exchanged pictures and a few phone calls. While in Australia he asked me to fly to Hawaii to meet the ship and hang out. I declined due to college finals and because I thought it would be weird. So I ended up meeting his parents in San Diego the night before homecoming and meeting him pierside the next day. We got engaged a month later and married that fall. Its been 8 years now!

17. I was flying out to visit my sister (also a Marine) in San Diego. He had been in town in San Antonio for a family wedding… And we locked eyes at the San Antonio airport. Later… I was sitting at my gate and noticed him looking my way. When it was time to board… I was A28 and he was A29 on a southwest flight…. So we stood in line together to board. I noticed his haircut and got the courage to talk to him and asked if he was a Marine. 1 flight and 3 hours later… There was an unbreakable connection and we both just knew this was different and special. I'd never connected with anyone like that before. He asked me for my number, and that was it. We got off the plane together– and I knew it wasn't the last time I'd see this man. He is the love of my life… And we just finished a 6 month tour in Afghanistan (my first since we have been together) and I'm so blessed to have my Marine home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Our college had a physical fitness requirement, and you could take the first year of ROTC to fill the requirement but not commission. I procrastinated that requirement until my senior year…and met my husband when he was my ROTC student instructor :)

19. We met in high school when we were 17 — we're both now 42. You do the math…..LOL!

20. Met my wife as a young (Skinny) LCpl in the Corps, she was a Senior in HS, graduating in a couple months. We met at a skating rink while I was stuffing my face with a banana split; her Mom actually made for me, she was the concessions manager!
    First date was a week later . . . married 6 months later, and we have been married for almost 27 years!!

21. I was newly assigned to a ship, (USS Bryce canyon AD-36), and automatically went to the mess deck. One of the other mess cooks offered to set me up with a date for the ship's Christmas Party. (1960) It didn't seem like a particularly bad idea, She was beautiful! We became friends, dated, and were married in June 1961.

22. Met her at church two weeks after I got to my first assignment after basic training. We will celebrate our 48th anniversary on June 6.

23. Bryanna S. | March 20, 2012 at 9:24 am |

I met my spouse at…. traffic court lol. He was in Navy DEP at the time and got an earlier court date so that it wouldn't mess with going off to bootcamp. Later that day we bumped into each other in school. We have never even seen each other at school before! Apperantly we were ment to be because we kept running into each other even after that! We stayed strong all through boot camp and decided to get married during A school. Now we are our first PCS together. We never would have thought we would be thankful for a traffic ticket- it changed our lives for the better! Rest assured though, we drive much more carefully now.

24. Home on pre-deploment leave and saw a blonde, big breasted woman with a short skirt of the times step out of her car across a parking lot while helping a friend move into her new apartment. Walked over and struck up a conversation, dated for a couple of weeks, went off to Jungle School and then Vietnam. Came home from RVN on leave and went directly to her parents home in N.VA and her father found me asleep on their doorstep at 0530 where I had been since 0300 not wanting to awaken their household. I tiredly stood introduced myself and told him I wanted to marry his daughter. A few days later returned to Vietnam. Came home and nine months later married the school teacher. Married now for 40 years.

25. I selected "other" for the poll, although HE was at work…we met at a Toys for Tots event in Ventura, CA. He was stationed at Port Hueneme. Two deloyments and 1 beautiful daughter later, we've been married 5 years.

26. My husband and I met on an airplane. We were flying in from two different northern states and shared a set of seats on a small plane. We immediately clicked and were married 3 months later and couldn't be happier.

27. Met her in a bar in Olongapo City Philippines, dated some, lived together, married 2 yrs later. Had 3 wonderful kids. Ended up being married 24 yrs before she passed away.

28. Gospel choir class and he said he didn't REALLY notice me until it was the fall season and I was coming straight from soccer practice in my grass stained and sweaty soccer gear. (true love ;o] ) We broke up for about 6 years, but God's will be done and we got back together and 6 months later got married. =o]

29. gokumonster | March 20, 2012 at 8:36 pm |

I met him in college through my anime club. I was vice president and friends with the other officers when we decided to play risk. We didn’t have enough players so a friend called someone over to fill a spot on the board. He came over and I hated him! I told my friend I didn’t want to see this guy again. 2 months later we were friends and 5 months dating. Didn’t work out the first time around and we went separate ways, but stayed friends. We got back together over a year later just before he left for UPT at Laughlin. He requested Japan for PCSing since we both love anime and video games ( those were our long distance dates) and proposed in Okinawa.

30. I met my husband at our church youth group when I was 13. We dated, married 6 years later and have been married for 4 years now.

31. If it were the last 5-10 years, it would have been on-line. They didn't have that 25 years ago, so we used a "Singles/Dating" magazine and service. It definitely worked. 25 years married, 23 years Active Duty Army, and some 12 household moves!

32. i Met My Husband When i Was in Middle School, the 8th Grade and he was in High School, 9th Grade.. On our AFB they had a Teen Center where we all hung out when we didn't have anything else to do to stay out of troube.. We Became Good friends and started developing feelings for eachother but in highschool we were both dating diffrent ppl.. He went off to College and returned a year later when his Mother got sick and we started dating then.. It's Been 5 Years with almost 4 of them being Married… We Have an Amazing 2yr old son!

33. A fellow co-ed softball player brought him to one of our games as a new player. Seven months later he asked me to marry him and eight months later we were married. We will be married for 21 years this August.

34. Misty weber | March 22, 2012 at 8:06 am |

My husband and I met on the highway. Here is the story. I was in Myrtle beach for my girlfriend birthday so that Sunday we were going home. (We are from Greensboro, nc) so anyways we are on the highway going home and this black mustang get beside us and it was a car full of guys and we were a car full of girls. So we ride beside each others for 40 mins and keep looking at each others but never exchanged glances. So we had to get gas I told my friend Brittany to put in front of them and maybe they will put in to. Well they didn’t they kept on going. So we get gas and are like whatever. We get back on the highway and 2 exits before we had to turn off a black mustang comes out of nowhere. They get beside us and we start smiling and gigging like 19 year olds do. So I flashed the drive my number with my hands, he called me and we followed them back to apple bees at camp lejeune nc. We have been together ever since. He is also from jersey and im from north Carolina!!

35. We met online while he was on deployment, and we still havent met. He will be home in september! Cant wait.

36. My husband and I met through my mother. My mom was at a night club, my husband tried picking up on my mom. She told him he was too young but I have a daughter ifhe would like to meet her. My mother and her friend both pulled out pictures of their daughter. One of them being me. Well he picked up my picture and I met him the next day. After 3months we got married. Herewe are 23 years later. Very much still love him.

37. My husband and I met when I was 10 and he was 8 and 1/2 at a neighbors pond party, (they had a pond on their property). We didn't hang out b/c of the age diff. (big deal then), but in high school he asked me out. We went out twice and he had car trouble both times,and i had to have my mother come pick me up. I didn't go out with him again until years later when he was home on leave for the holidays.. We've been together ever since. We're each others bestfriend, lover, and spouse, we tell each other everything. He retired in 1996, but just like the one women had said, we also shared each others day and job understanding what each did for work etc. We'll have been married 29 years next month.

38. I met him in Sunday School and were introduced through a mutual friend who had met him half-way across the country when he was in flight school, accidentally met him on the Saturday night before and invited him to church where she worked. We were engaged 6 weeks later in the summer, married that Christmas and have been married over 55 years. We have 4 children and 5 grandchildren. We both finished college after his first tour in Japan – I got there the summer after we married. I wasn't sure I would recognize him, but I did! I highly recommend meeting people in church or school where somebody really knows who they are. I was just 21 and he was just 22 when we married. It seems so young now, but I am glad we grew up together before we had kids. Later in life he earned his MD and I earned a MLS, after we had a family. Not easy, but worth all the hassle.

• What an encouraging story! I met my husband at church and we were married quite young, but the decision is easy when God makes it so very clear you were meant to marry that person :) We've been married for only 4 years now and just had our first child in Japan, but I cherish the fact that we have entered adulthood together and have grown and matured together. I wouldn't have it any other way!

39. Paige Brooks | March 28, 2012 at 8:45 am |

I met my husband the weekend after Thanksgiving Holiday. It was at his grandparents house, and I know them because of our local community association. He had just gotten out of boot camp and had brought one of his best friends with him. We ended up hanging out the whole weekend, the 3 of us, and during the whole time, they were competing to who would get my number first. After he left, we rarely talked, but I always tried striking up a conversation now and then, just because. Then one day we just started talking constantly on the phone, and telling each other everything about ourselves and our lives growing up. He asked me in a text to be his girlfriend on January 2nd, just after the New Year (2011) and I said yes. We went on our first date January 9th, and we've been together ever since. He proposed on December 10th, while I was visiting him in Virginia, and we got married on our anniversary January 2nd, 2012. He is currently on his first 7month deployment, and I'm finding it very hard, but I know that in my heart of hearts, I can do it, because he's worth everything I have to offer in my life.

40. Paul Henderson | March 28, 2012 at 9:03 am |

I am from England, I met my wife on a train station in Huntingdon, she was lost and asking for directions, she was an avtive duty Air Force at the time, after starting a friendship that lasted over a year I gave up everything I had came to America and married what is now my best Friend of 10 years.

41. I met my wife to be in the army. She was a nurse(RN) Lieutenant and I was a PFC.Our families were from the same towm but we did not know each other.October will be our 50 anniversery.Five children and 18 grandchildren and one more on the way plus one great granchild on the way.We agreed when we got married if we got into an arguement one of us would leave the house. I smelled a lot of fresh air!

42. Katheryne M | March 28, 2012 at 1:37 pm |

I met my husband in a duck pond here in northern Ca. It was the first of the year, I loved to hunt, he was a friend of a friend who met us out there EARLY in the morning. He had just finished with basic and AIT, we lived pretty far apart from each other but started talking and even though he was getting ready for his tour to Iraq,we still stayed strong; got married just before his deployment and have been here ever since.

43. I was 16 and he was 19. I saw him working at the target and said, "Hey, do you come here often?" He laughed and I gave him my number. We had a great friendship, but dating was off limits because of the age difference. Eventually, being pressured from his mother, he broke ties with me. I was devastated.

Then my first marriage imploded (I got married right out of high school, bad idea) and the day before my divorce was finalized I ran into him at Wal-Mart.

…..awkward…..lol it was four years since we spoke, and we were bumbling through that how have you been conversation. He asked me for my number and the rest is history. :)

44. lessieissel | April 3, 2012 at 10:11 pm |

How do I meet a military man (nice, handsome) for a spouse? That's a dream….

45. Mike and Helen | April 12, 2012 at 3:37 pm |

In Febrary, 1941, I was on the Union Pacific Challenger on my way from San Diego to a Navy assignment at the Naval Aircraft Factory in Philadelphia. On the same train was a Scandinavian cutey returning to Duluth MN after a winter break.We met, shared our "been there, done that" stories. For the next five months we corresponded and chated on the phone. On my way back to San Diego I went to Minneapolis where we decided our relationship was ripe for marriage. So, on June 11th, 1941, we became hitched! I took my new bride to San Diego where we set up housekeeping. It was great until December 7th (Pearl Harbor) when I found myself off to war in the Pacific. A Navy carreer as a Naval Aviator had us on many assignments over the years, raised two children and after retirement went on to many other endeavors. On June 11th, 2012, we will be celebrating seventy one (yes, 71) years of a great partnership. Every time we hear that train whistle in the distance, we look at each other and smile.

46. We met at a Crossfit gym in Chesapeake, VA

47. I would like to hear of stories of people who ended up marrying people that their parents ended up setting them up with? Would love to hear please?

48. helga barden | November 20, 2012 at 4:47 pm |

We were both assigned at a small AF base in Germany. I was behind him at a place to cash a check.
    I recognized his name as being a new arrival. Our eyes met & I initiated some small talk. He was so
    handsome & polite. He asked me for a date about a month later & we clicked from the start.
    We married once we were both out of the service for 33 years until he passed away.

49. I met mine online and we have been happily married for 6.5 years

50. My husband and I met at Texas Tech, too. I was sleeping on a bench in the courtyard of Holden Hall when he came outside with a friend. Ironically, it was his friend that asked for my number. I gave it to him, but didn't return his calls. It took 2 months of seeing each other 3 times a week (we had separate classes at the same time in Holden Hall) for him to finally ask for my number. He called me that afternoon, and we had our first date that weekend… dated for 3 1/2 years before getting married, and it was another 7 years after that when he joined the Army. We've been married 10 years! :)

51. I'm really happy for you, your story bought tears to my eyes!