Dear Army: Why Isn’t our Birthday Cool Like the Corps’?

I’m a proud Army wife, so I know when Army people get excited about stuff.

Examples of things that are a big deal to Army folks: no longer wearing the beret all the time, the move to nine month deployments, the time one of our unit’s majors punched one of the colonels in the face.

Example of something that do not seem to be a big deal: the Army’s birthday.

This week is the Army’s 237th birthday. That was news to me. Why? Because no one invited me to an Army birthday party. No one offered to feed me Army birthday cake. And if they sing “Happy Birthday, dear Army” I’ve certainly never been a part of it.

One of the fancy things about SpouseBuzz is that I get to hang out (at least virtually) with people from all five military branches – including the Marine Corps. And I’ve noticed something about those Marine Corps types: their service birthday, which is in November, is a huge – and I mean HUGE – deal.

They have a party. The spouses get to buy and wear a fancy dress to the birthday ball. They eat cake. And I’m not entirely sure about this, but there might even be singing.

Why don’t we get to sing?

Now, I know the Army hosts a birthday ball here and there across the country. Extra important people get to attend and wear their fancy clothes.  But I am not extra important. And I have never been to such a shindig.

But in the Marine Corps you don’t have to be at all special or anywhere near sober to attend the party. You just have to be interested.

In High School only the really cool kids got mega parties thrown for their birthdays every year. And since the whole world is a microcosm of High School I wanna know – is the Army just not as cool as the Marine Corps? What’s the deal, Army folks?

P.S. My husband just informed me that the Army’s birthday IS a big deal. “If there wasn’t an Army birthday there would be NO AMERICA,” he says.  (I’m not entirely sure what his point is with that). OK. So why don’t we get to party?!

See this thing these good looking folks are standing in front of? That would be a TANK made up of CUPCAKES. And that is cool. A cupcake tank? Common. Top that, Leathernecks! Now, as MANSpouse Wayne would say, go make us a sammich.

Amy is the editor in chief of’s spouse and family blog A journalist by trade, Amy also covers spouse and family news for where she is the managing editor of spouse and family content. An Army wife and mother of two, Amy has been featured as a subject matter expert on, NPR, Fox News, NBC, CBS, ABC and BBC as well as in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal and Washington Post. Follow her on twitter @amybushatz.

165 Comments on "Dear Army: Why Isn’t our Birthday Cool Like the Corps’?"

1. SemperSteen | June 11, 2012 at 8:02 pm |

"the time one of our unit’s majors punched one of the colonels in the face."

Pictures or it didn't happen.

• Amy_Bushatz | June 12, 2012 at 11:53 am |

Can I show a picture of people looking sad because they were relieved of command? ;-)

2. Because our Chain of Command & unit Commanders don't observe tradions as they should, we have units I. E.: 1st ID, 3rd ID, & 2nd ID That have more battle Honors than the whole usmc, but the mc didn't get big time until WW1 before that they were sea goin MPs that had captured John Brown, only cause they were commanded by an Army Officer, Col. Robert E. Lee, anyway blame it on leadership & its a damn shame, I reckon the Leaders are to worried about their careers.

• That's really impressive, army. You army people really deserve a birthday.

• Hmmm….nothing before WWI…really? Except, only to name a few, The First Barbary War 1801-1805; The war of 1812; The Battle of Chapultepec, in September 1847; Spanish–American War (1898), Marines led American forces ashore in the Philippines, Cuba, and Puerto Rico plus about 25 other battles. Maybe you should read a book or two instead of playing video games.

• GunnyTeufulhund | June 14, 2012 at 3:58 pm |

Well said brother.

OOh Fu$k^ng Rah.

Like the saying goes. The few the PROUD. Plus the fact that we are the only branch of the military "born" in a bar. (Tun Tavern Phil.PA 10 Nov. 1775) . Maybe that is why we know how to throw a really great party and like a good brawl.

Semper Fi to all my brethren.

• Please dude…asking an Army guy to read is like asking a Marine to put on a Navy uniform….it ain't gonna happen! (Unless crayons, pictures and cookies are involved). Semper Fi!

Here is the truth about the Lying Marine Corp History.

• Grunt0311 | June 15, 2012 at 7:46 am |

I checked out this A. Scott Piraino. He's big time anti-Jew. Says there were less than 300k people killed by the Nazi's in concentration camps. He says Gaddafi was a "very smart and insightful leader". He's a conspiracy theory nutcase, and Mr. Eatmybutt is going to take his word about the Marine Corps history?! Get a life Eatmybutt! Piraino goes on about conspiracies just about everywhere. Some of his stuff might have some truth to it as many conspiracies do have, but his credibility on the history of the USMC is zero! Oh, did I say he was a nutcase?
          We all know there are problems in this world and things happen behind the scenes that we aren't told about, but that doesn't mean it's all a big conspiracy by the Zionists to stir up the world into a massive war.

• Piranio was a MARINE CORP OFFICER! That anti-jew shit is slander and lies like your corp history. You guys can't stop lying…

CHECK OUT THE DATES ON THE FIRST TO FIGHT BS , the army is there first! How about the fact.that the devil dog story its a fabrication. A culture of lies, built by liars.. any one can double check the info and dates collected in this. ITS ALL TRUE!

• Hey grunt, whats wrong "you can't handle the truth"

Marines a big bitches like everyother bully on the play ground. Once the shit hits the fan the bravado fails and they run with their dicks in their hands.

Army=1 year + Deployments
            Marines=6 month vacations

Whatever.. do the math bitches.

• Mad ghost | June 13, 2012 at 9:29 am |

Hey shitbag, or shotbag or whatever, you just displayed the exact reason why army traditions aren't as big deal in the Army, you don't know your history, learn your history first and leave the corps history to Marines, your ignorant comment about corps history is just as bad as you not knowing your own!

• Seriously, shotbag. Why did you feel the need to tear down another branch of the US Military on this subject? That says something serious about your psyche.
      What the subject at hand does say is something about the pride and tradtion of the military branches. Could it be possible that maybe, the Marines are way more proud of their branch, and its traditions? Just saying.

• Well look at this way there are two battle fronts you have the enemy attacking from one way and the army attacking from the other. I was personally attacked by a army sgt driving a lvls and I was med retired thanks to him. Every time we did training with the army some one either got shot by a fellow army member or didn’t know how to use a rifle causing other service members harm. So don’t take it the wrong why Marines will always be better because he can take on the two battles as for there would be no America if it was for the army that’s a joke if it was the army that was the only force fighting we wouldn’t be where we are now we would be speaking another language!

• ArmyandAirforceguy | June 14, 2012 at 10:17 pm |

Wow, pathetic chest beating libel. You don't even deserve a response. I hope a real Marine NCO with respect for other services puts you in your place kid.

• Here a link for the liar to get his facts strait…

• Grunt0311 | June 15, 2012 at 7:52 am |

And if you believe all of this you're a sad excuse for an American. This article is written by A. Scott Piriano who thinks that Zionists are the source of most of the world's problems, and that Muammar Gaddafi was a "very smart and insightful leader". Har Har if you're going to swallow of the crap put out by this guy your life is a "har har" by itself.
            Study things on your own, and don't think that just because someone says something that you agree with that it's correct. In short…..grow up and think for yourself.

• Check the dates. Double check the info. Admit the truth that the Marines abandoned 8th army and they WERE NOT first to fight 95% of the time.. you can't read anything but your typed sad lies. Your pathetic brain washed trash Grunt and you can't face the facts.

"grow up and think for yourself." and drop the Corp doctrine. YOUR BETTER THAN NO ONE

• robert hughes | June 16, 2012 at 12:09 am |

Tis hard to be humble when you're numbah one!Doggies are doggies and will never be on top!
      Bob Hughes USMC

• Mustang Major | October 8, 2012 at 7:43 pm |

Well, see, now there's an example, shotbag: 1st ID, 2nd ID . . . wth kind of name is that? In The Corps we say Second Marine Division . . . and instead of a jumble of numbers or alphabet soup , the 10th regiment, Second Marine Division, is "Tenth Marines." Has a dang ring to it, don't it lad? It's how you think of yourself. It's like when Chesty made his Marine shave at the Frozen Chosin. "How can I expect them to fight like Marines if they don;t look like Marines?" He said. Attitude, man. Starts there.

3. Semper fi | June 12, 2012 at 8:30 am |

We are a Corps of traditions. Every day we are reminded of how big the shoes are that we walk in. I don’t think the other services teach (indoctrinate :-) ) the history like the Corps does. And when it’s just you and your buds way the hell out there with little or no support, you remember that you aren’t the first Marines that have done that. Like I said….some big shoes to fill….

And of course any reason to party !!!
    Semper fi

• Couldn't agree more, they even instill this history into the spouses. I took at least 10 classes (over 11 years) on the history of the Corps, and one full day was dedicated to Chesty Puller, and rightfully so. I have yet to see a history lesson offered from the Army, in the 5 years we have been with them. My husband still doesn't know when the Army birthday is.

4. armywife&civilian | June 12, 2012 at 8:55 am |

Anyone can get registered to attend the Army's birthday ball. Tickets do go fast, however, so you have to be ready to purchase when it's released. This year they announced through their Facebook. Usually the local garrison hosts Army birthday events that not only the Soldiers, spouses and civilian employees are invited to join in, but also the community. We don't sing happy birthday Army, but we do take pride in singing the Army song for this occasion. :)

• In the last two years, we've attended: 2 Army Balls and 1 each of the Air Force, Marines, and Navy. They're all distinctive and unique…and yes, we have all the services represented at our Army balls as well. I guess it helps that we're a large joint HQs.

• Amy_Bushatz | June 12, 2012 at 11:55 am |

Meh I sang the Army song with gusto at a change of command ceremony the other day. And at a graduation a few months ago. I need a different song for the birthday or it doesnt count ;-)

• robert hughes | June 16, 2012 at 12:11 am |

Just what in hell is the 'Army Song'? Perhaps 'Bug Out Blues'?

5. Why cuz Marines are the "cool kids"

• Gordon - 11B2P | June 13, 2012 at 10:36 am |

No! Just Arrogant!

• It is easy to be arrogant when the MC is just this dang good!

• GunnyTeufulhund | June 14, 2012 at 4:11 pm |

@ Gordon-11B2P
        Then please explain to me just exactly why it is that our boot camp is longer than anyone else . Or why we are the only branch of the military that will never have to go through boot camp again if we choose to join a different branch down the road. (such as Marines joining the Navy in order to tryout for the SEALS. Although why would anyone do that when there is Recon.) NOBODY joins the Corps and is not required to complete the 13 wk boot camp.

The pride of accomplishment and esprit de corps we carry our selves with is not arrogance. It is however hard earned and well deserved.

We may bust balls with our fellow branches of the military but, we do not need to disparage them in order to set ourselves apart from them. Semper Fidelis YEMX

• Gunny….you are wrong on 2 points…you can read about it in, # 1. during the Korean war…there were Marines fighting that never set foot in Marine Boot Camp
          .# 2…after being out of the Corps for 11 years, I had to go through Army Basic @ Ft Knox…

• GunnyTeufulhund | June 14, 2012 at 10:57 pm |

I was unaware that there were Marines (after WW II) who had never crossed the parade deck. I would of course expect that there were Marines who opted to remain in the Corps after WW II. Thanks for the knowledge.
            As of the time of my EAS (1987) the no Boot camp was the rule. Also, when I was in my last year of re-enlistment eligibility (39yrs old at that time) a good Army buddy of mine wanted to recruit me into the Army. (recruiters everywhere are the same even if they were your best man. LOL) At that time the "no Boot camp" rule was still in effect.
            I stand corrected. I still get Sgt. Grit but often don't find time to read all the content. If I didn't put their catalog in the head I wouldn't have time to read that either.

• If you ask an honest marine they will tell you that if they don't buy a ticket for the ball, they will be put on a detail to set up and clean up the event or will be working that day or the weekend.

• I never bought a ticket to the Marine Corps birthday ball; they were free. And no one checked to see who was there. Most Marines went.

6. Carl Milkowski | June 12, 2012 at 11:11 am |

Actually, the Army B-day is very hot in all areas of the country. I live close to MacDill AFB Fl. where the Army Ball is a BIG DEAL attended by all service branches. Since I'm a former Marine, I also attend the USMC B-day Ball and I can say that the Army's celebrations are more than equal to the Marines each year.

I think the Marines put out much more propaganda then does the Army so it only seems like they have a more robust celebration. You have to remember that the Marines feel a little suppressed since they really did nothing in the way of fighting when our country was being borne during the Revolutionary War and then again when we were at risk of breaking apart during the Civil War.

Finally as a current Soldier, I would disagree with the ArmySGT post above and say that Soldiers are way more cool then Marines.

• PoorJealousArmy | June 13, 2012 at 12:12 am |

Dude…'when our country was being BORNE'??? If you really are a soldier, you are an embarrassment to the army, because you are not too bright.
      Please stop lying about being a former Marine, your misguided and incorrect post makes it obvious that you were NEVER a U.S.Marine, you are probably just a 'wannabe'.
      If you so much as attended Marine Corps boot camp you would know better than to post such inaccuracies about the time period 'when our country was being borne'. Dummy.

• My, my, such hostility. Coming as it does after mostly cordial inter-service needling, it is particularly jarring. The minor spelling error, which was most likely an inadvertent typo, does not support the vicious nature of the attack on the individual's intelligence and truthfulness. We shall avoid making similar inferences about you from your triple run-on sentence.

• I have to agree in part with Poor army about Carl's post … NO former Marine would write a paragraph like his second one. And when I say that i mean NEVER. Even if you hated the Marine Corps and got out you wouldnt write a paragraph like that.

Now to the point at hand, Spent six years in the Marine Corps and five in the US Army… It wasn't until I was studying for the sergeants board did i even learn when the Army Bday was, and that was 2 1/2 years of being in. I was stationed at Fort Sill and it aint a small base not once in the 5 years i was there did i ever hear of a Ball for the Army's Birthday.

7. The simple answer to the question posed in the article, is that the Marine Corps embraces and indoctrinates Marines at the earliest point of their careers (ie, recruit training/boot camp) in the traditions, legacy and accomplishments of the United States Marine Corps. It is a vital part of our training, as we learn that how we fought in the past, influences how we fight in the future. The Marine Corps Ball is an opportunity for all Marines (regardless of rank) to get together, observe an historic day in not only the Marine Corps' history, but also US history and enjoy the same tradition that generations of Marines in the past have observed.

• You have it exactly correct, Sgt Funk. And I'm an Army guy.

• And to get raging drunk! I don't know how many times I'd see uptight officers and SNCO's getting wasted and partying with the Non-rates and NCO's. That's quality bonding time and one of the few times a little fraternization is encouraged.

I may not miss a lot about the Corps, but I certainly miss the parties, oh the parties.

8. A Marine till I die | June 12, 2012 at 5:24 pm |

Why do you think the Marines are called "The Few, The Proud, The Marines"? We do not have the Dozens or so Divisions that the Army has, nor do we have a "Continental Army". As Sgt Funk stated above, we are tought from the 2nd day in the Corps all about the history of the Marines. The 1st day, the second you step off the bus, is hell day for the DI's to scare the civilian ^&** out of us. We started as small compliments on board ships to protect them from raiders. Every Marine, of all ranks, are one and the same, with Each One being a Grunt first above all else. The ribbons we wear, We Earned. They not handed out by going to schools or learning how to cook, but for Fighting for our country and the Freedom of others, no matter what our MOS is. Being a smaller military branch, we are much closer together. We have a saying like no other branch, "Once a Marine, Always a Marine"! That is a feeling of Pride, that no other military unit in the world has.
    Lastly, our Officers Corps do not look down on those who have not graduated from a big named Military Academy.
    Semper Fi!

9. This 'Army Birthday' thing is nonsense. I spent 22 years in the Army and we NEVER celebrated our 'birthday'. In fact we used to poke fun at the Marines for their birthday lunacy. And now you tell me that this sillyness is spreading Army-wide? Will somebody please tell me when we are going to stop trying to be the 'little Marines'?
    We used to have pride in our own branch of the service, we didn't have to imitate anybody else to establish a sense of pride.

10. It's really easy to explain why. The army doesn't have Balls. The Marines do

Semper fi

Sgt D

• Ooh-Flipp'n-Rah!

• Grunt0311 | June 15, 2012 at 8:05 am |

You can't be serious about calling this the truth. Did you check out the sources? Have you researched this issue yourself? Are you instilling your own prejudices into this article? It appears that you've not checked out any sources. You haven't researched the matter yourself, and you certainly are instilling your own prejudices into the article.
        Why are you so bitter against the Corps? Were you rejected by them?
        Both branches of the military have amazing histories to be proud of. There's been a lot of mud slinging that's not necessary going on with too many of these comments, and it looks like "facts" are getting more and more distorted. That's what happens when people put their own prejudices into a "debate". This whole thing has gotten way out of hand. The lady asked a simple and honest question at the start about why doesn't the army have a birthday ball like the marines have. How did it get from that to "the populist wordpress" distortion written by a conspiracy theorist who hates the Jews?

• Grunt0311 | June 15, 2012 at 8:09 am |

PS: Fthejarheads, did you ever think that maybe this Scott Periaino just might be working for the Iranians?! Maybe he's a conspiracy general sent on a mission by our own government to undermine the confidence of the American people by getting the army and marines to attack each other! What about that possibility Fthejarheads?

11. Richard Woodall | June 13, 2012 at 3:01 am |

It does not mater what Branch you served in. What matters is YOU served YOUR COUNTRY! I served in the
    Marines 1971-1975. Be PROUD that served your Country !!!! BRAVO ZULU

Semper FI
    Sgt R

12. We should all be proud of this privilege and honor to serve in this great nations uniform. Not one is better then the other, when this nations youth have shed and gave their life's blood and their tomorrows while in the uniform they so desired to serve in.

I have served a tour in the Army & three tours in the Marine Corps. I can honestly say that there are many Army personnel former and active who are equally as proud of their service as us Marines are of ours. The issue here is leadership. It has to start at all levels from NCO's all the way up to your staff officers, without this mentoring to foster the kind of institutionalized motivation & pride you'll never feel the kind of spiritual awakening and excitement every time something special such as a day to honor your services Birthday or any historical event related to the birth, growth, and success of a great institution such as the United States Army.

Yes the Marine Corps is a very small organization when compared with the Army…as small as it is, its fanatical about it's history, it's achievements, and the sacrifice those who ware the eagle globe and anchor have made. This can never be forgotten. Marine Corps history is drilled into every recruit, you cannot become a Marine without understanding the Corps history. Mind you the Corps has it's own culture, just like all the other branches….The difference is that it's fostered, nurtured and guarded with a pride unmatched.

The Army owes it to their Soldiers past, present, and future to do the same.

You'll always here it said that there's no such thing as an EX -Marine…you never give up the title when you no longer ware the uniform Why! because it was earned. Your never called a United States Marine until you earn the title by successfully completing Marine Corps Boot Camp.

Semper Fi

13. Wood, SGT | June 13, 2012 at 8:29 am |

I didn't join the Army to party, I joined the Army to kill people and break things.

1966 Veteran of the 25ID

14. Traditions!
    Think of the Corps Birthday Party as a Wake… an opportunity to remember ALL Marines who have wear our uniform to remember thier brothers from the decades long past as well as Pride as knowing that not everyone can be a Marine

15. Corporal of Marines | June 13, 2012 at 9:41 am |

…… also on the Marine Corps birthday Marines, past and present, make personal phone calls to their distant buddies that they served with and catch up on all things that took place during the past year. This call is expected and one call can go on for hours allowing both parties to discuss "the Corps", family, and friends.

Semper Fi

16. SemperFI0331 | June 13, 2012 at 10:18 am |

I served 10 years in the Corps and am now serving my country in Army, my comment will be based on what I've experienced so far not on some fairy tale I heard, I'm sure there are a few units out there that take Army traditions such as the Army birthday serious, however I've yet to meet any. It's not about who's the cool kid on the block, or about a party, or about propaganda like some of you have stated on here, It's about sharing a common bond, a bond that sets us apart from the civilian population, a bond that is exclusive to the members of its organization. During the Marine Corps ball there are three very important things that take place, Gen John A. Lejeune's birthday message, The cake cutting ceremony, and finally the presentation of the oldest and youngest Marine in the unit. This is a tradition that has been embedded in every Marines brain housing group. A service member must understand his past and observe traditions of the brothers that have gone before him in order to continue to carry the torch proudly. Without tradition we are no different than corporate America. The Army like the Corps has a rich tradition of defending freedom, however most Army basic soldiers have no clue of how rich and empowering that knowledge is, and I've experience this first hand as a former cadre at an Army Advance Individual Training school. It is truly sad that most chain of commands I've encountered so far in the Army do not observe Army traditions as much as they should, and what disappoints me the most is that NCO's in the Army are worst about it than their joes, I've seen it, I've heard it and I've lived it. I tried to instill a sense of pride in my platoon about Army traditions, however this is not an easy task since it doesn't take place during the enculturation process in Army basic training. My last unit cancelled the Army Birthday Ball celebration, reason being, " not enough soldiers from the top down wanted to attend" SERIOUSLY!!!! I was speechless. I continue to serve proudly, but take it from this old combat hardened veteran, we as leaders need to instill pride and sprit de corps in our young Soldiers, Marines, Sailors, and Airman from day ZERO, it will make your current organization a fearless and unstoppable force!
    Former USMC SSGT
    Current Army SFC

17. Semper Fi!!!!!!!!!!!! OOOORAH!!!!!!!!!! God I love being a Marine.

• Proud Army CWO | June 13, 2012 at 8:08 pm |

Thank God that you do. At least (hopefully) that it will keep you out of the Army. Your a perfect example of the "brain washing" that truly makes a Marine a Marine. I've spent 23 years in the service and have known several "Marines", and damn near everyone of them were so "brain washed" by the corp that they could barely function. OH, Sempa Fi to you too..

• Hunter of Gunmen | June 13, 2012 at 11:53 am |

What part of " Birthday" is confusing you, the birth or the the day? Your comment makes no sense, although true its pointless in your argument!

• Hunter of Gunmen | June 13, 2012 at 12:00 pm |

What part of " Birthday" is confusing you ? The birth or the day?, your comment makes no sense, although true, it's pointless in your argument.

• SABOT10

As a Marine we understand that the United States has an Army (ground), Air Force (Air), and Navy (Sea). So therefore our existence as Marines (Air, Land, Sea) depends on our ability to capture the hearts and minds of the American People through gallant action in battle and to do more with less money than the other branches. The day we can no longer do that is the day the Marine Corps disappears and as you stated, some in the other branches have tried to get rid of us. It was the American People that saved us. So, in order to create warriors capable of performing the deeds necessary to maintain our existence the Marine Corps instills a pride in the history and traditions of the Corps in every new recruit so he/she has the guidance of past Marines to help make decisions for the future and to never forget the warrior ethos and that our purpose is to FIGHT AND WIN BATTLES on Air Land and Sea. So that is why the Marines take such pride in their birthday, traditions, and Corps. I hope you take this not as a rebut to your comment but as a lesson to better understand Marines and their crazy behavior that borders on a cult like devotion to Corps. – Semper Fi. SSgt Keith

20. Sgt. Rock | June 13, 2012 at 1:21 pm |

Well there sure are alot of Marines willing to post yet very few Army. History belongs to the US ARMY, with some Corps guys in-between. Now for some history. The US. Continental Army was created on 14 June 1775 by the Continental Congress. Think US. ARMY when we Americans fought for "Independence". American Revolutionary War, from Britian/UK., The War of 1812 the second war against the British. The United States Air Force? The Army Air Corp. The dress blues including sabers, orginated in the US. Cavalry,1800s. The Mexican–American War which gave us California, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, Wyoming and New Mexico. The Spanish-American War, Philippine-American War, Boxer Rebellion. The first snipers? US. ARMY snipers. Airborne, US. ARMY. Marines win battles, Armies win WARS! Leaders? General George Washington. Theodore Rosevelt. General George McArthur. General Dwight D. Eisenhower. General George S. PATTON. The Marine Corp. came from the British, as early as 1664 with their NAVY. Don't underestimate the rich history of the US ARMY and compare it with the Marine Corps. The US ARMY made this country free. No Marine Corp. back then. The US. ARMY settled this country from Camp Lejeune to, Camp Pendleton before they were camps. Nuff said.

• Hunter of Gunmen | June 13, 2012 at 2:21 pm |

You are way out in left field with this, although true that is not the issue, it was never about who's history is richer, read the top of the page and should get you back on topic, you seem a little confused about what the original question was! Your welcome , you Army boys always lost in the sauce, but I got you battle!

• Sgt. Rock | June 13, 2012 at 3:55 pm |

Don't think so slick. The other posts by marines were also off topic. Or did you not read them.
        Comments about uniform and, leadership or, high ASVAB score etc.. Typical gyrine. Shoot his gun off before puttin the bullets in first or, in your case puttin two and two together. Posts can only be so long in text and as I said its a history comment on Army history and pride.
        Don't worry though you can catch another marines battle..

• Hunter of Gunmen | June 13, 2012 at 4:03 pm |

Your such a follower, oh hey by the way I too can get on the Internet and list historical events to make myself sound smart, but I rather come up with my own thoughts, rookie!

• Sgt. Rock | June 13, 2012 at 4:51 pm |

Or tell us Army boys we are always lost in the sauce.
            Can't say hoorah. Have no brothers in arms.
            Or how "The ribbons we wear (Marines), We Earned. They not handed out by going to schools or learning how to cook". Or, "The only way for the army to improve from the cesspool that they had become after Vietnam was to imitate the Marines". etc..

Only trying to make the point that although the Marines, do cool, on their tradition we Army don't deserve the insults. Just because we don't party like the Marines on their anniversary doesn't mean we haven't pride for the uniform or, Service we gave and or are giving.

As I said, the Army could do better, but no low blows and, pot shots at the Army.
            There are some good ARMY NCOs and officers and a few bad ones. But don't dump on the whole Branch because you met a few bad apples and call it funny. I ain't laughin.
            As you said, stay on topic.

• Hunter of Gunmen | June 13, 2012 at 4:57 pm |

• Just_a_head | June 13, 2012 at 6:37 pm |

If I am not mistaken most of the comments that you are pointing out were said by an X-soldier not a former Marine.

• SGT 278th ACR | June 14, 2012 at 1:43 pm |

Good posting, but it's General Douglas McArthur… not George.

• Oh, the one that said, "If I had another division like the First Marine Division, I could win this war." And I thought he meant George. :)

• As far as the historical pissing contest, I will simply point out some inaccuracies in your statements. the Army and Marines are close to the same age, only months separate their inception. And Marines during the War for Independence fought also, just on ships not on land. And if you want to get precise it was the militia's (With some help from the French) who won the War for Independence, considering the Continental regulars were a small force at it's inception.

The Marine Corps dress blues come from 1798 when the Secretary of War authorized dark blue uniforms edged in red (For naval ties) and many elements such as the high collar and quadrafoil come from the original Continental Marine forces. (For Snipers see, Carlos Hathcock)

And many of the wars you mentioned featured prominent use of Marine forces. Size was the only limiting factor in Marine involvement in those wars. But that's not to discredit the Army in any way.

If you're upset with the rhetoric used by other Marines, using that same rhetoric back doesn't say much about you as a soldier. You and I know the rich history of the Army and there is no reason why it has to be a Marines are better, Army is better conversation. We are brothers in arms, we fight the same battles, in the end all that matters is that we look out for each other, kill the enemy and do our job. I never cared if it was an Army chopper or a Marine helicopter, just as long as the helo arrived.

• Use spell check a few times that was more ****** up than a left handed football bat. First snipers they were called sharp shooters, a sniper wasn’t thought of until way later because gorilla warfare wasn’t in place then. Last of all they have been trying to disband the Marines since they were formed in 1775 and it has been seen that if we lost the Marines we would lose our country

21. John Plunkett | June 13, 2012 at 2:06 pm |

Sgt. Funk, (supra) stated it most succinctly.

• Sgt. Rock | June 13, 2012 at 2:53 pm |

No arguement.
      To the orginal point of the article. The simple answer is, I don't know why.
      Cadet "Army Officers only, need attend", I guess.
      Just can't stand it when the Corps. constantly dump on the Army cause we don't say semper fi., or hoorah., or when we wore those Olive Drab dress greens. But we too served proudly.
      A salute to the Corps. for shining on their Corps. birthdays. Army could, do better.

22. Regardless of which service honors their birthday better, the USMC puts out much more pure propaganda than does the Army. The reason is they need the support of the naive public to keep their corpse (sic) alive. As we write this, the USMC represents 44% of the Dept. of the Navy. No other nations Marine Corps is anywhere near that large and the Marines are always terrified that they will be cut back to look like the Brit's where the Royal Marines represent only about 13% of the Royal Navy.

For those of you who posted to the contrary, it is very true that the two war’s in which this country could have been destroyed, the Revolutionary War and the Civil War, the Marines did very little in the way of fighting so in effect, they owe their existence to the Army and Navy.

The small battles that Marines fought during the War of 1812 and against the Barbary pirates were notable only because they were fighting for the first time in our nation’s young history and in many cases the Marines were led by a Naval or Army officer’s.

• Don't you ever disrespect the memories of my brothers who have passed and paid the ultimate sacrife, your probably some paper pushing pogue that has never served with men on the battlefield regardless of branch of service, I've shed blood on the battle field with a joint task force and we all bled red, white, and, blue you ignorant child!

• I'm not even going to reply to the first part of your post because it's downright insulting. The Corps and Corpse remark is totally unwarranted and only provides evidence for what those Marines stated (mistakenly so) above you. Secondly, No other nations Marine Corps DOES as much as the U.S. or includes an Airwing component as the U.S. military does so making a comparison is a folly.

The War of 1812 was NOT the first time the Marines fought. The Marines fought during the War for Independence as well, as sharpshooters and rifleman on ships.

If you're going to make an argument about "who did more" especially during the American Revolution then you need to recognize that the militia's is who did most of the fighting during the AR and that the French had a large hand in turning major battles. The Continental Army was very small at the time of the AR. The Marines started off as a small elite force, if you want to know why they had smaller foot prints in early wars, look no further.

The Marines don't owe their existence to the Army anymore than the Army owes it's existence to the Marines. (They owe their existence to Congress, same as the Army) The Marines during both wars you mentioned were very small forces but that doesn't discredit their contributions as you'd imply. They support and are apart of the Navy, so to argue that the Navy somehow responsible for the Marines existence is a folly because the Marines are APART of the Navy.

Again those battles are not notable for being the first time Marines "were fighting" but because they are examples of the first time Marines were used as a ground expeditionary force. They did plenty of fighting before then.

Personally the presumption that one service is better than another is simply empty rhetoric and should have no place in a discussion about armed forces. It does a discredit to all those who served in the armed forces now and in times past.

• The Marines saved the doggies butts in Korea for they were about to thrown intothe seaof Japan by the North Korean Army. They lost a major general who was captured (Gen Dean) their 555the Arty Bn lost ALL their weapons 105s 155s prime movers. What a crew. The soldiers were known as Bug out Bunnies. The Marines were known as the 'Fire Brigade' stopping up the holes the Army made when they'd 'Cho-gi' Hey at least they got rid of those stupid berets!

23. Former U.S.M.C | June 13, 2012 at 6:49 pm |

How crazy that a story asking why the the Marine Corps celebrates their birthday and the army does not would cause so much hate and discontent from the Army side. Yes there has been slander from both sides but read the first few replies and see who started it. So we as Marines are proud of who we are. We celebrate our traditions, we celebrate or fallen brothers, and most of all we celebrate being Marines. To start a flame war over which service is what, and how the Army is everything and the Marine Corps is nothing is beyond pathetic. Small minds and morons tough behind a keyboard. I know a lot, and have been to war with some great soldiers, to the ones posting above me you are not them!!!

Semper Fi

24. ArmyVet2007 | June 13, 2012 at 8:27 pm |

To be perfectly honest, the units I served in while in the Army were too busy either 1) training to deploy to a war zone or 2) deploying to a war zone. We didn't have the time or the inclination to throw birthday balls and all of that. On occasion we might have a giant cake at the DFAC or something like that, but we were too busy doing our jobs otherwise. __That said, that doesn't mean I or my fellow soldiers lacked pride in our Army. If you think that just because we don't attend balls so we can throw up on each others' shoes every single year, that this translates into a lack of pride and respect in our branch of service

25. CoolPaPaDra | June 13, 2012 at 9:03 pm |

Don't you know what ARMY stands for :

Ready to be
    Yet !
    Retired Master Gunnery Sergeant, E-9 1972-2002 ,Vietnam, Cuba , Beirut, Desert Storm/Sheild Marine
    OOH RAH ! Semper Fi ! Do or Die !

• Fair Game | June 14, 2012 at 6:55 pm |

ARTOMY? Hmm, nice one. Try again.

Wow, really classy there. Way to represent your corps. It seems that the majority of the posts here are by Marines who love to insult the Army. Arguments can be made back and forth, but true professionals don't belittle another service branch. Pride is one thing, and ribbing is ok, but to completely bash another service goes against what any of the services represent.

Oh, and CoolPaPaDra, acronyms exist for all services.

or how about

Doesn't feel good when it gets thrown back at you does it? With that aside, try to be respectful and professional, Gunny.

• Michael Stetler | April 1, 2014 at 1:30 pm |

Gunny isn't affected by those stupid comments or acronyms in the least. Why? Because he knows, as well as you and all other soldiers, that you are so disappointed in yourselves for not having the courage to join the Corps!!! It takes a special breed that has no fear and wants to be the best to become one of the Few and the Proud!! Anyone who says differently or tries to argue the point is not only lying to everyone around them, but to themselves as well. You know it, and I know it. You can keep pretending all you want. We all know the truth!

26. SP4 Michael Milligan | June 13, 2012 at 9:34 pm |

No one seems to me remembering the true purposes of the Army and the Marines. At inception, the Marines provided a quick response force carried on the fast means possible at the time, SHIPS! Thus their affiliation with the Navy! They made the initial beach landings. As transportation allowed, the Army was able to relieve or fight along side of the existing forces. Armies are large, they take time to move. The Marines are meant to be small and swift. Each has its own purpose even though the lines are now blurring with the modern form of warfare.

Personally, I will salute any man in any uniform who know the sounds of incoming or the sight of tracers floating toward them. Any day of the week, month or year. SALUTE! Wear your Service and Pride openly. Never again should any Service be subjected the abuse of Vietnam, Cambodia or Laos.

SP4 Mike Milligan

27. GruntUSMC | June 13, 2012 at 9:38 pm |

All I know is that when the bullets start flying, it doesnt matter what uniform and bells and whistles(or lack thereof) you have on. All that does matter is performance on the battle field. My few experiences with any Army Soldiers in combat were positive. Having an Army tank leaves it’s post without being called for support to assist with holding security on Route Michigan after an ied attack and staying by my side for a few hours only having 6 Marines and two humvees they made a world of difference for me that day so thank you to the Marines who are true to the traditions and to the Army for standing asking side me in battle.

28. Bridgestone | June 13, 2012 at 9:40 pm |

I’ve chewed a little dirt with members of all o the services, active and reserve. Even saw some Coasties in the desert over there.

Our differences are what makes the nation need each unique service. Be proud of that. While I feel a little interservice rivalry is healthy, trying to belittle members of a different uniformed service IS NOT!

As far as the Army Birthday…it was never a big deal when I spent 5 years with 10th Mountain Div. Even less of a deal while deployed, although there WAS cake at the DFAC.

As far as military history…I know a fair amount, but other than one of my leadership development courses as an NCO, the Army hasn’t taught me any of it.

29. GruntUSMC | June 13, 2012 at 9:41 pm |

sorry typo meant beside not asking. I am just Marine Grunt

30. Okay, I have read the comments here and some comments are very good and some are just down right ignorant. My take on the whole thing is that the Army just doesn't stress the birthday like the Marine Corps does. Size has nothing to do with it since it is the responsibility of the individual units to raise the funds and arrange for their celebration. I am a retired Marine and have been deployed during the birthday a few times but the command always went out of the way to find someway to make it special, at least get people together for the traditional reading of the messages and presenting of oldest and youngest present. And before you try making this an Army vs Marines thing, I am not the one to pull that on. I spent 4 years with USSOCOM and served with the Navy, Army and Air Force. As I sit typing this I have two burial flags on display in front of my from my father and uncle who both served in the Army. While with SOCOM I had the privilege of serving on their Joint Service Color Guard. Don't get me wrong, there was lots of poking fun at each other's service but we were all brothers under the uniform and you come at one of us you had all of us to contend with, regardless of what service they were from.

Semper Fidelis

31. armyguy123 | June 13, 2012 at 10:20 pm |

Scanning thru all the BS fodder back and forth I didn’t notice if the original question was answered. JBLM has their Army ball on 15 June.Not sure what installation you’re on but I’d bet

there is one being held locally. Just need to talk to the right film… start with your installationCSM

32. Another point not yet made: There is a reason there are Marine, Navy, and Air Force Memorials around the Nation's Capital . . . but no US Army Memorial. There is a reason there are US Marine, US Navy, and US Air Force Museums . . . but no US Army Museum. Allegiance in the other Services is by indoctrination to the overall Service. In the Army, allegiance is (mostly) to Division-level units or Branches. There are 1st Infantry, 82nd Airborne, 25th Infantry, and 101st Airborne Memorials among many others, and there are Museums for those Units. There's the Quartermaster Museum (Ft Lee), the Infantry Museum (Ft Benning), the Artillery Museum (Ft Sill), etc. A movement is underway to create a "US Army Museum" at Fort Belvoir but the going is slow . . . all the good potential exhibits are already in Museums at various Divisions' or Branches' home bases. For the Army to get its own national-level Memorial or Museum . . . and indeed its own BIG Birthday Ball . . . will require a wholesale retraining of the Army mentality. It's not a wrong approach . . . just a different approach. HOOAH? (Actually, HUA … Heard Understood Acknowledged)

33. Sgt. Benson | June 14, 2012 at 12:13 am |

(sigh)…Okay children, you can stop squabbling now. Let's address the central underlying issue, shall we? What constitutes being "military", and what makes a "military" individual, a "United States Service Member"? Is it the ability to stop a bullet? No, anyone can do that. Is it the ability to kill? Nope, even the worst shot in the world, can get lucky. Is it a uniform? Nah, even McDonalds has uniforms. Is it going off to war, on behalf of the US? hmm…nope, mercenaries can do that. Maybe it's ceremonies? Wait, no…every fraternal organization had that. Wait, maybe it's marching!? That cant be it either, middle school bands can do that. I got it! Maybe it's the medals and ribbons and badges! Nope, all that and all the "commemoratives" etc…can be bought and worn, same as all of our uniforms too. Maybe it's the "lingo", must be the way we talk, and yell motivational stuff like "oorah", "hooah", "ooshah"… Wait a minute, that sounds like a tuberculosis ward. Maybe it's following orders? No, anybody can do what they are told. Giving orders, that's got to be it right? Nope, even a fool can tell somebody to do something. Then
    It must be for the King's/Queen's honor! Oh, right..we already told the monarch what they could do in their crown…and where to shove the scepter afterwards. Okay folks, we're running out "stuff" here. So…it's not what we wear, how we talk, not gender, not race, not obedience, not skills, not what class of society we are a part of, not riches, not poverty, not death, not glory, not obligation, not for social outings, not for the "fine" accommodations we've all endured, not for shopping privileges at PX/BX, not for cool tatoos, not for bumper stickers, not for college money, not for bonus money… We've peeled many layers off this onion. Being "military", isn't a tangible thing, is it? From musket and frock coat, to M4 and body armor… Tall wooden ships and the roar of cannons, to running silent beneath the waves with enough nukes to slay millions at a time… From fighting upon the surface of land and water to fighting in the skies above… The answer is elusive, isn't it? What makes the US "military member" unique? What makes us, US? Obviously, there have been, there are, and there will always be those among the US military, that should never have been there, some even manage to make rank and a carer of it. Where am I going with this, right? What, we who belong in the military(any branch, even the Coasties), is at the inner most core of our being. It's has been given numerous names, and described at length… It's that part, down deep inside, hidden even unto ourselves… Words used to describe it, by others, after the fact…often include words and phrases like: above and beyond the call of duty, act of valor, conspicuous gallantry, courageous, steadfast, bravery… These words, and many more, describe that intangible part of us, that makes us a military family… You can't bottle it, you can't teach it, it can't be duplicated or reproduced. It is that part of humanity, only found in a small portion of us… Like the firefighters who died on 9-11, running in towards a burning nightmare, while everyone else ran away. What makes us US Service Members…we go where others fear to tread, we do for others what they can not, or will not, we give up creature comforts so others may have theirs, we give up our liberty so others might have it, we do no less than offer up our lives upon the altar of freedom prepared to die, if need be…to preserve the freedom of others. We give selflessly, for others. We burden ourselves with the oppression of psychological trauma of death so others will never know what it is like. WE GIVE OF OURSELVES, WE SERVE OTHERS, WE ARE THE DEFFENDERS OF FREEDOM

34. Grunt0311 | June 14, 2012 at 1:00 am |

By the way Mr. Mueller, the marines do not owe their existence to the army or the navy. It was a decision by our government to put marines on navy ships to help defend them. It's nonsense for you to make such a statement. There's no logic in it.

35. ClearedHot | June 14, 2012 at 4:22 am |

I liked that comment about Rangers wanting to be Marines when they grow up.

Actually if that were true, why would the Corps send a Marine to Ranger School?

Chew on that fact for a minute, before you post another poorly thought out comment.

• Marines go to Ranger school just for additional training. That doesn't mean the marines are less trained, etc. Several other units send troops to ranger school too. There is a good bit of cross training between the services. What's the big deal? We're all in this together.

• Ranger School is a leadership course open to all branches of the military. You don't have to go to Ranger School to be a Ranger.

36. ClearedHot | June 14, 2012 at 4:24 am |

I liked that comment about Rangers wanting to be Marines when they grow up.
    Actually if that were true, why would the Corps send a Marine to Ranger School?

37. didn't help that the politicos "stole" the day and call it Flag Day

38. The Marine Corps cares more about looking good rather than being good; waaaay too focused on close order drill, officer-centric hierarchy, and stripping floors.
    On the other hand, the Army has diluted the very fabric of Soldierly ethos; it has degenerated into socialized welfare. CSMs "graduating" from the SGMs' Academy at Bliss can barely speak English…let alone read or write in their "common" language. The majority of senior NCOs in the Army is overweight and has marginalized themselves to the point where their officer counterparts will only allow them to perform bed and haircut checks.
    When CSA Chandler was the SGMs' Academy Commandant, he was personally in charge of the cycle of mediocrity that was perpetuated in his esteemed schoolhouse; great, now he is in a position to discourage promotion based on meritocracy. It is reprehensible and pathetic how the standards have been so diluted in the Army; they care far more about equality that specialization. Heaven forbid one should appear more competitive than another, so we will just eliminate or redact anything from their personnel file when it goes in front of a centralized promotion board that might make them stand out.
    So I ask you: What is there to celebrate?

39. MessTruck | June 14, 2012 at 8:07 am |

Unless thing have recently changed dramatically, the Army, especially here at Fort Rucker, does celebrate its birthday and other traditions. Even after I retired in 1993, I participated by setting up historical displays at the celebrations (never did figure out how to get my WWII field kitchen into the lobby of the Officer’s Club). In fact I still participate in celebrations and traditions like The Streamer Ceremony (June 22, Howe Field @ Fort Rucker) along with other active and retired soldiers. You just need to get in the loop and join in.

40. CutterJohn | June 14, 2012 at 8:40 am |

There would have to be new Army policy enacted to authorize FIPWIU (fun in public; while in uniform). Plus the new acronym would have to be vetted to make sure that it isn't already used by the Army. We couldn't possibly get that done until around the 250th birthday … maybe. Then a study group would have to convene to assure the public that little Timmy and Missy would not get into trouble and have any kind of "Harrassment" occurring while engaging in FIPWIU. A new piece of "safety gear" would most assuredly be required. Probably a sippy cup for our pretend beer. I would post a power-point presentation, but this forum doesn't have the proper security clearance.

41. Its a local chain of command committment. I have been in units that have thrown BIG parties not only for the Army's birthday but for the branches birthday as well. In fact we had so many ceremonies and formal parties that we would joke about not having cake after PT. That was a good unit that took prode in the Army at the Battalion level and all ranks invited. So I would bring it up through your FRG channels to your BN CoC that you want more formal events honoring Army traditions.

42. Army Cav 1SG | June 14, 2012 at 8:56 am |

Sometimes, when you are the little kid on the block you need to get louder than the bigs kids, MY Army saved many times the asses of Marines who thought they were John Wayne, look at Chosin Resovoir and Khe Sanh/Con Tein, ….. knwo who saved their asses, the United States Firsst Cavalry Division!!!!

43. What does most of this bull shit have to do with Birthday balls? I have been to many Marine Corps Balls and a Navy Ball on a Marine base. Marine Ball was the better of the 2 but the navy still had a birthday celebration on a Marine base. While stationed on a Navy base the Marines always had a birthday ball.And also recruiting commands have Marine Corps Balls in their cities

44. GunnyTeufulhund | June 14, 2012 at 4:00 pm |

First to fight and the last to go. Hard Corps is the only way we know.

• You know the whole devil dog thing was made up by an America reporter? Nice to have a culture built on lies.

• GunnyTeufulhund | June 14, 2012 at 11:16 pm |

Here's a little light reading for you in return.

In German grammar, a compound noun is always a single word, so using two words "Teufel Hunden" is grammatically incorrect. The correct German would be Teufelshunde in nominative, genitive, and accusative cases, and Teufelshunden only in the dative. In either form, the linking element "s" steps between the words. Examples:

Sie waren Teufelshunde. – they were devil dogs.
        Er war ein Teufelshund. – he was a devil dog.
        Er sprach von den Teufelshunden. – he talked about the devil dogs.

Furthermore, the word "Teufelshund" is unknown in the German language, and may possibly be an example of Denglisch. The nearest equivalent is "Höllenhund" ("dog of hell"), the German translation of the mythical Kerberos; a term that can also be used to describe a reckless and courageous person. All this suggests that the Marines were never actually referred to as "devil dogs" by German WWI soldiers

45. MGySgtUSMC | June 14, 2012 at 5:35 pm |

Battle for Iwo Jima
    "The battle of Iwo Island has been won. The United States Marines by their individual and collective courage have conquered a base which is as necessary to us in our continuing forward movement toward final victory as it was vital to the enemy in staving off ultimate defeat.

By their victory, the 3rd, 4th and 5th Marine Divisions and other units of the Fifth Amphibious Corps have made an accounting to their country which only history will be able to value fully. Among the Americans who served on Iwo Island, uncommon valor was a common virtue."

–Admiral Chester W. Nimitz

During the 36 day battle, Army boots on the ground–none that I've been able to find, Marine Corps boots on the ground–approximately 70,000 – 80,000, along with all the Naval Corpsmen and See Bees. After the island was secured, the Army then came ashore.

Army, just suck it up!! You'll never understand what being a Marine means. You don't have the IQ for it.

Long live the U.S. Marine Corps. Semper Fi !!!!

46. GradyPhilpott | June 14, 2012 at 6:37 pm |

"…is the Army just not as cool as the Marine Corps?"

To that "propaganda" crap, the Corps' reputation is a product of our performance on the battlefield and every other damn thing we do, including celebrating our "birthday."

The Marine Corps is more respectful of our sister services than any other branch of the service and to you, Jon Mueller, the Corps owes its continued existence to no one but ourselves and a bunch of friends in Congress after WWII.

Marines are well known for throwing birthday parties at their places of work and for their neighbors who have never been Marines or who will never be Marines or may have never heard of the Corps.

Esprit de Corps is what makes the Marine Corps different from all the other branches of the service and no one can bestow that on you, except yourselves, so if any member or former member of a branch of the service is wondering where your birthday party is, throw one!

Semper Fidelis!

47. Syvens pen | June 14, 2012 at 7:21 pm |

I've been to a few Army Balls and one Saint Barb's Day Ball as well. It came down to timing and my hubby's desire to see me dressed up and show me off. *laugh* I can say, however, that there was never any singing at these events and, generally, seating arrangements are cliche city.

So… what the heck, who's stopping you from throwing your OWN Army party? :) Go for it! And please take lots of pictures!

• Amy_Bushatz | June 14, 2012 at 8:24 pm |

ah ha! yes! maybe we will next year. any excuse to eat cake and sing.

• Syvens pen | June 14, 2012 at 8:50 pm |

Yes! Yes! My husband used to sing the *best* cadence songs for me back when they were allowed to be naughty. Sing those! Make it a BYOB & side dish thing and have it off post somewhere (park) so it doesn't ruffle feathers that don't need to be ruffled. Heck, now I'm thinking of doing that here!

48. It is wrong to compare the US Army to the USMC, it's like comparing oranges to apples, there have 2 different missions, any & all real Americans should honor & admire the USMC for thier streling record, my only compliant is from day one they indoctrinate MC recruits with propaganda slammin my beloved US Army, There is no way you can beat the record of folks like the 1st Cav, 101st & 82nd Airborne, 173rd Abn Bde, 75th Ranger Reg. 11th ACR, & the list goes on & on.

49. Famous quotes about the US Marines:

“C’mon you sons-of-bitches, do you want to live forever!” ~ GySgt Dan Daley at the Battle of Belleau Wood WWI

“Retreat, hell we just got here!” ~ Captain Lloyd Williams, USMC at the Battle of Belleau Wood WWI

“Of the Marines on Iwo Jima, uncommon valor was a common virtue” ~ Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz Iwo Jima WWII

“We’re surrounded? Good, now we can kill the bastards in any direction.” ~ Colonel Lewis B. “Chesty” Puller; Korean War

“The raising of the flag on Iwo Jima, means a Marine Corps for the next 50) 500 years.” ~ James Forrestal, Secretary of the Navy

“Tell that to the Marines!” ~ President Franklin D. Roosevelt after the attacks on Pearl Harbor

“Some people live an entire lifetime wondering if they’ve made a difference in the world, Marines don’t have that problem.” ~ President Ronald Regan

“Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They’re aggressive on the attack and tenacious on the defense. They’ve got really short hair and they always go for the throat.” ~ RAdm. “Jay’ R. Stark, U.S. Navy

“A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons.” ~ Admiral David D. Porter, USN

“I have just returned from visiting the Marines at the front, and there is not a finer fighting organization in the world!” ~ General Douglas MacArthur, US Army

“The man who will go where his colors will go, without asking, who will fight a phantom foe in a jungle and mountain range, without counting, and who will suffer and die in the midst of incredible hardship, without complaint, is still what he has always been, from Imperial Rome to sceptered Britain to Democratic America. He is the stuff of which legions are made. His pride is his colors and his regiment, his training hard and thorough and coldly realistic, to fit him for what he must face, and his obedience is to his orders. As a legionary, he held the gates of civilization for the classical world…he has been called United States Marine.” ~ Lieutenant Colonel T.R. Fehrenbach, US Army in “This Kind of War”

“Marines are about the most peculiar breed of human beings I have ever witnessed. They treat their service as if it was some kind of cult, plastering their emblem on almost everything they own, making themselves up to look like insane fanatics with haircuts to ungentlemanly lengths, worshipping their Commandant almost as if he was a god, and making weird animal noises like a band of savages. They’ll fight like rabid dogs at the drop of a hat just for the sake of a little action, and are the cockiest SOB’s I have ever known. Most have the foulest mouths and drink well beyond man’s normal limits, but their high spirits and sense of brotherhood set them apart and , generally speaking, of the United States Marines I’ve come in contact with, are the most professional soldiers and the finest men I have had the pleasure to meet.”

~ An Anonymous Canadian Citizen

“The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle!” ~ General Pershing, US Army

“The Marines have landed, and the situation is well in hand”. ~ Richard Harding Davis, war correspondent (1885)

“The safest place in Korea was right behind a platoon of Marines. LORD, how they could fight!” ~ Major General Frank Lowe, US Army

“Do not attack the First Marine Division. Leave the yellowlegs alone. Strike the American Army” ~ Orders given to Communist troops in the Korean War; shortly afterward, the Marines were ordered to not wear their khaki leggings to keep the enemy from immediately fleeing

“Marines know how to use their bayonets. Army bayonets may as well be paper-weights.” ~ Navy Times

“Panic sweeps my men when they are facing the American Marines.” ~Captured North Korean Major

“The Marines are careful, brave fighters…they were like hunters, boring in relentlessly without fear. I never heard a wounded Marine moan.”

~ The U.S. Army General Staff

“They told (us) to open up the Embassy, or “we’ll blow you away.” And then they looked up and saw the Marines on the roof with the really big guns, and they said in Somali, “Igaralli ahow,” Which mean “Excuse me, I didn’t mean it, my mistake.” ~ Karen Aquilar, in the U.S. Embassy; Mogadishu, Somalia

“We have two companies of Marines running all over this island and thousands of Army troops doing nothing!” ~ General John Vessey, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs

“This will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave” ~ Elmer Davis (1890-1958)

“Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.” ~ Omar Bradley

“To observe a Marine is inspirational, to be a Marine is exceptional.” ~ Unknown

“The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!” ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

“I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I’ll kill you all.” ~ Marine General James Mattis to Iraqi tribal leaders

“To observe a Marine, is inspirational. To be a Marine, is exceptional.” ~ GySgt Charles F. Wolf, Jr.

Enough said….

• Marines Gayer than AIDS

• What a jackass you are LULARZ. You know that's not true. Your feelings must be hurt. Grow up.

• MGySgtUSMC | June 18, 2012 at 12:25 pm |

Do we hurt your feelings little man? Go to the corner and suck your thumb; or, you can come outside and say it to my face, you simpleton.

50. Med Retired Lcpl | June 22, 2012 at 10:35 pm |

No matter where in the world Marines are at we will celibrate the Marine birthday. If we are in a combat zone, if we don't have a cake we will take a pound cake and use that. We are resorceful. The funny thing I notice is our army is like the brits army and our Marines are like the royal Marines. For our Army are fat and nasty, unkept. My brothers are disapline, in shape, and well dressed. You can point out a Marine a distance a way just like you can a royal Marine. We take pride in our corps. Most folks don't know this but everything in the my beloved Corps is about tradition. From our stiff necks, to our blood stirpes to the name devil dogs.

51. From an opinion as a soldier (both active and reservist) I think one of the things I notice is the lack of knowledge regarding not just Army history, but the U.S. History and traditions. When the 13 original colonies declared Independence, it relied on it's nascent Continental Army and militia group to fight for it's survival, thus both are in intrinsic. How can you expect the modern soldier to take any pride in the Army while having little understanding or knowledge of the U.S. Constitution?

52. WHO CARES!!!! The Corp is big on traditions, if you havent earned the title then shut it. All you know is what you have heard, read , or seen on history channel, and not lived it. I love my Marine Corp, and have some affection for all branches but i CAN NOT pass judgement on the others branches for the simple fact i have not lived it.

53. Maybe because they wanted to become leaders,As this moment they try to experience using this cap.But I like ii because it feels that this children are responsible for themselves.

54. Shaunna Novy | December 12, 2012 at 9:44 pm |

I got married on the Army's birthday :)

55. Some of the posts here are derogatory in nature. It is sad that jealousy or other motivations would lead someone, especially some with very little actual knowledge to lower themselves to denigrate a sister service. I served in the Navy for 4 before a career in the Marines and have spent much time with the Air Force and Navy during that career. I can't claim much time with the Army but some and I can say that I take pride in all our military services, their accomplishments and sacrifices. Each does a different mission and consequently does them their own way to suit their objectives and that is as it should be. I may offer constructive criticism on occasion if it is something I am well versed in but I make an effort to never be critical for its own sake.

56. Corporal Clark | July 25, 2013 at 11:29 am |

57. Retired Marine it took a time for the Marine Corps to get the ceremony ( which was before my time) to what it is today. The one thing that has kept it strong is we the Marine Corps have always remembered our history of our Corps. The Birthday is the time when we reflect on that and help feed the Esprite De Corps. Our past is our future. The ceremony is the oldest Marine passes his piece of cake to the youngest Marine in that you pass all the traditions that the past has made. Gen Lejune birthday message says it best when you read the 4 paragraph in his birthday message "This high name of distinction and soldierly repute we who are Marines today have received from those who preceded us in the Corps. With it we also received from them the eternal spirit which has animated our Corps from generation to generation and has been the distinguishing mark of the Marines in every age. So long as that spirit continues to flourish, Marines will be found equal to every emergency in the future as they have been in the past, and the men of our Nation will regard us as worthy successors to the long line of illustrious men who have served as "Soldiers of the Sea" since the founding of the Corps"
    The Army is such a large unit that they have unit events that mark its history of that unit, that's what makes the units strong. I have served with the Army in schools and they are good units and good solders I respect them but I can say they are not Marines I thank them for their service and will remain…..
    Semper Fidelis

58. ken badoian | July 22, 2015 at 4:02 pm |

Marine and Army Birthday celebrations, whoopee … The Marines learned their tradition form the United States Navy. Birthday cake, oldest and youngest, all the trappings of duty, honor, and courage. Also the Navy's CPO, SCPO, and MCPO'S celebrate the birthday of Navy Chiefs with a ball usually full dress.

I have been to the "Armed Forces" ball in Chicago…great event but usually Marines and Sailors are in full dress and the Air Force and Army come in their class "A" with bow ties and minature medals. Navy also has Nurse Corp, Supply Corp, etc. non line officer balls. Also the Navy has Submarine Balls which are great events.

All that said the couple of Marine Corp balls have been the most traditional.

59. Esprit de Corps. Semper Fi.

60. F. Saguing | June 12, 2012 at 11:37 pm |

61. Our promotion possibilities are pretty terrible. Our duty stations however, are far superior than a number of Army stations. We do have alot of hand me down equipment, but where the army relies on advanced technology, Marines rely on combat skills.

62. HAHAHAHAHa… i know you were trying to be funny but your not… let comedians be comedians.

63. I do believe I detect a little jealosy there, doggie!

64. SemperFI0331 | June 13, 2012 at 11:04 am |

Hey if your gonna say ignorant comments please don't ever put your rank, I'm having a hard time trying to change the reputation of ignorant SFC's as it is and well you buddy are part of the problem! Your comment sounds like the same crap I hear from ignorant senior NCOs in my unit now, I expect that lack of knowledge from joes, not senior NCO'S !

65. Seriously, PFC Young. Why did you feel the need to tear down another branch of the US Military on this subject? That says something serious about your psyche.
    What the subject at hand does say is something about the pride and tradtion of the military branches. Could it be possible that maybe, the Marines are way more proud of their branch, and its traditions? And I would contend that Tripoli, Vera Cruz, Chapultapec Castle, Samar, Belleau Wood, Guadalcanal, Tarawa, Saipan, Tinian, Iwo Jima, Okinawa, Inchon, The Chosin Reservoir, Khe Sahn, Beirut (twice), are pretty flashy in and of themselves. Dont you think?

66. I left Nam in ’68, left the Corps in ’69, spent 3 yrs in,…7 years later I did 3 years in the Va. Army Nat Guard, and in ’80 joined the Army. The Marines have” E sprit De Corps” Honor, Brotherhood, and Tradition. In Army Basic at Ft Knox, I had 30 days as an Asst D.I. because an SFC was taken off status for 30 days…slapping a trooper. This SFC had the worst platoon in the entire Company, when he returned I gave him the Best Platoon in the Company…WHY? Because I was, am and forever will be A US Marine. Once in Ft Bliss I tried to March an ARMY PLATOON, it was not MY Platoon…2 Marine PFC’s led by a L/Cpl put the platoon I was in charge of.. to total SHAME… I was proud of those Marines. I can’t put the Army down, ****…I joined the Army…and have a retired Army ID…but on my Ford pickup and my Lexus RX…out of a doz stickers, not one is an Army sticker….

67. GunnyTeufulhund | June 14, 2012 at 11:27 pm |

The Marine Corps may fall under the Department of the Navy but, never forget that we are the mens department.

68. And when the rangers grow up, they want to be Marines…only they don't have the cojones. Weak.

69. Fag

Read this and see if you are so proud. The truth will crush you like the arrogant bug you are.

71. MORONHUNTER | June 14, 2012 at 10:32 pm |

Hoyce Gracy teaches the Army its combatives. He is brazilian and never was a Marine. Your are an idiot!

72. Get over yourself Gunny. The Army's professionals are silent.

73. Neverfaithful | June 14, 2012 at 10:26 pm |

Read this about your lying CORP!

74. GunnyTeufulhund | June 15, 2012 at 12:07 am |

Is that the only source of information that you and Buttmunch can fall back on ? Try this on for size. I find the truth of which you speak to be as opinionated, editorialized, and biased as you id10ts are. If you took the time to read the whole ESSAY you would realize that this is an OPINION piece and the so-called facts and figures presented were chosen with the writers point in mind. Did you not stop and wonder why there is such a thing as "The National Security Act of 1947", which prevents any changes in the force structure of the Marines. Why is there no such provision for any other branch. Could it be because they were counting on the Marines to ensure that "National Security"? And the truth shall set me free. /wiki/History_of_the_United_States_Marine_Corps

75. Poser… fake.. Phony.. there were no devil dogs.. its a fabrication

76. First to fight..try first to lie… CHECKS THE DATES I DID! The Army showed up first 95% of the time. How dare you liars take credit for their blood and sweat. ROT IN HELL FOR STEALING HONOR FROM THOSE WHO EARNED IT RIGHTLY!

77. Marinesaregay | June 15, 2012 at 8:12 am |

I believe your a F@G

78. GunnyTeufulhund | June 15, 2012 at 2:20 pm |

I notice that you refer to the Army's blood and sweat as "their blood and sweat" . What branch of the military did you serve with ? Odds are you are a wannabe. If I am wrong and you have indeed served with the Army, why do you not take more pride in your service and include yourself by saying "our blood and sweat"? If I am correct and you have never served, please take your alligator mouth and tweetybird ass somewhere else and allow the men to discuss things amongst themselves.
    And yes there are many engagements where the Army was there first. But likewise with the Corps. Consider if you will that we are nautical, amphibious, aeronautical, and land warfare operators. If you focus primarily on land engagements, or air engagements, or naval engagements, then you have limited our scope. It is the fact that we take on multiple roles that makes us so unique. Did you know that when the Pony Express could not get the mail through due to Indian attacks, the USMC rode the Pony Express routes ? They did. And NO we are NOT trying to take credit from the USPS.

And as for lying I have never known the Corps to take credit for anything we have not accomplished.

79. GunnyTeufulhund | June 15, 2012 at 2:30 pm |

I choose to believe differently. And there is just as much documented information PRO as there is Con. However, I have no axe to grind. I am proud of my Corps and proud of our history. I also am proud of every branch of our military. I also learned long ago to NEVER argue with an idiot. He who does only makes himself seem like a bigger one.

Those who think themselves right in all things will never be persuaded to the contrary because their minds are permanently closed to all other thoughts facts and opinions.

There are two basic types of people in the world. Those who are smart enough to know they are dumb. ( recognize they do not know it all and are constantly seeking knowledge)
    And those who are dumb enough to think they are smart.

I tend to think you belong to the second group.

80. If it was a fabrication it was fabricated by US newspapers. There are several references to the name in newpspaers at the time of Belleau Wood. You can read them at newspaper but, you'll need to pay a fee. I've looked them up and posted some of the dates and newspapers in various places.

81. LOL! That's one of the problems, the Army doesn't teach history. The Marine Corps reminds you of all the valiant Marines who have gone before you and admonishes you to not let them down. The Esprit de Corps instilled in Marines is part of what makes them the world's best warriors. Drill teaches discipline, pride in your unit, and immediate obedience to orders while allowing the leaders to practice leadership and enjoy the pride of leadership. Everything in the Corps has a reason and the training is finely tuned to turning out warriors, not just fighters.

Matt Larsen is know as the father of Modern Combative Arts because he wrote the book on Army martial arts. And, yes, he was a Marine.

82. Posting this link reminds me of why politicians lie. If your policies are so good, you would tell the truth about what you would do and let the voter choose based on that.

If you want to post a link to a truthful article, it might be helpful to your cause, whatever that may be. Don't show your envy by posting a link which is entirely untruthful. Of course, since the Army doesn't teach history, I'll give you a break on that.