So the shoe has indeed dropped.
Two days ago we learned that it is time for my husband to once again go play in the sand. Knowing it was coming, we weren’t all that surprised and are faring better than if it came out of the blue.
The painful part: it ain’t happening for months.
Driving around last night, every song on the radio flat-out pissed me off. “Blow Me (One Last Kiss)” by Pink?” No. No one last kiss. How about “blow me one more kiss”. Yes. Much better.
“50 Ways to Say Goodbye” by Train? Oh, I have a feeling there will be more than 50. And Victoria’s Secret will have proof.
“Glory of Love” (yes, that Glory of Love from the 80’s) by Peter Cetera? A song so cheesy, that wine should be served, but during an emotional time, can make the most stout-hearted milspouse tear up a bit
So, might as well delve in deeper and think of other song titles either the active duty member or their families will not like during a deployment. I’ve compiled a list of my un-favorites:
1. “I Heard It Through the Grapevine” by Marvin Gaye. Let’s not have a reason for anyone to have a grapevine , okay?
2. “One More Day” by Diamond Rio. Diamond Rio … you sang a beautiful song. But I won’t be listening to you at anytime in say, oh, the next year or people will have to peel me off the floor.
3. “My Immortal” by Evanescence. Holy depressing song, Batman. Shoot me now.
4. “My Life Would Suck Without You” by Kelly Clarkson. Ye-ah. Let’s not even travel down that road, hmmm?
5. “Lovin’, Touchin’, Squeezin’” by Journey. Really … do I need to explain why this song sucks?
6. (And if you can’t be with the one you love, honey) “Love the One Your With” by Crosby, Stills, & Nash. Another one I shouldn’t have to explain.
7.”Leaving On a Jet Plane” by Peter, Paul , and Mary. P2M … you know I am probably your biggest fan under the age of 72, but you will be put on the back burner because I don’t want to hear you don’t know when you’ll be back again. You will be back. And on the promised date.
8. “Don’t Cry Out Loud” by Melissa Mancheste. So freakin’ sad I can’t stand it:
Don’t cry out loud
Just keep it inside and learn how to hide your feelings
Fly high and proud
And if you should fall, remember you almost had it all.
Might as well throw in the theme from Ice Castles. Curse you, Melissa Manchester!!
9. “All By Myself” by Celine Dion. Celine, no need for the fist-to-chest pound action … I know I am alone. You … you are not alone with your huge mansion(s) and staff to wait on you. So shut-up.
10. “Right Here Waiting for You” by Richard Marx. Good gravy, pass the tissue. No, the entire box.
11. “America the Beautiful” by Katharine Lee Bates. Gets me every time.
12. “Far Away” by Nickelback. Never thought I’d have Nickelback on any list, but goes to show what a sappy song will do.
13. “The Promise” by Tracy Chapman. This one hurts, mainly because it was also our wedding song. But it, too, will be out of rotation around our crib, so I don’t become dehydrated and need an IV from crying.
What do you think belong on this list of songs to avoid prior to and during a deployment???