Should Spouses use Military Discounts?

I remember the first time I heard of a military discount. “Are you military?” the little clerk folding clothes into my bag at the store asked. “Yes,” I said. “If you show me your ID I can give you our 10 percent military discount.”

Mind blown.  A discount? Just for being a military family member? Heck yes!

It never even dawned on me not to say “yes” to these wonderful treats. I quickly learned to start asking at stores if they had one. I figured it never hurts to ask. And that 8 or 10 percent off is just a little way that I knew businesses in America hadn’t forgotten that my husband was out there fighting for their right to sell stuff. Three cheers for capitalism.

It wasn’t until last year that I realized that some spouses not only aren’t comfortable with asking if a store has the discount, but they say “no thanks” when it is offered. They say the discount isn’t really for or about them – it’s for and about actual servicemembers.

I can see where they are coming from. Perhaps they think that even a discount may potentially give off a sense of entitlement – something I have no intention of communicating. Or, maybe they think “I didn’t serve – no need to thank me.”

And then there are the people far on the other side – those who love discounts so much that they wait until a discount and military freebie heavy day, like Veterans Day, and strike while the iron is hot. In honor of the day at least 18 chain restaurants offered free meals to anyone with a military ID, while many retail stores offered additional discounts. Everything from shoes to mattresses is discounted. Some people love these so much that they go, in my opinion, way overboard. I’ve even heard of people ordering the free food as takeout, hauling it home and freezing it for later.

In my personal opinion, using the discount as spouse that a store already offers (or politely asking if they have one – and, if so, taking advantage of it) does not cross a line. If the discount was only meant for the servicemember and not his dependents, they would not accept dependent IDs. Just like when someone finds out I’m a military spouse and says “thank you for your sacrifice,” I politely respond “you’re welcome” – the discounts are meant as a sign of thanks.

What do you think?

Amy is the editor in chief of’s spouse and family blog A journalist by trade, Amy also covers spouse and family news for where she is the managing editor of spouse and family content. An Army wife and mother of two, Amy has been featured as a subject matter expert on, NPR, Fox News, NBC, CBS, ABC and BBC as well as in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal and Washington Post. Follow her on twitter @amybushatz.

93 Comments on "Should Spouses use Military Discounts?"

1. Considering that my husband is the one who works and everything I buy is with the money he made, I don't see an issue with accepting a military discount at a store. Just because I'm the one at the store buying wood flooring for our home doesn't make the purchase any different than when he goes to buy the same wood flooring for our home.

• I must reply on behalf of my wife of 32 yrs who sacrificed along with me in my twenty years service to Country. This Saint endured just as much if not more than I can possible imagine. When I look back to the 1970's when we met & married I don't know how we did what we did on my pay! This woman managed a household with two children and still worked outside of the home. And doing this as an immigrant service members wife (South Korea). Although separated, at times for years, this woman kept us all together. She moved our household when I was not available to assist, attended school activities when I was away, and a multitude of other things. I believe she, as well as myself, deserves a Military discount at every opportunity she can. And almost twenty years removed from service (US Army) she still sacrifices. YES….All family members deserve this discount!

• That's how I feel about it, If I'm buying for the family I feel it's alright to take because It's for him I'm just the one out getting it for him. When I go out alone I never ask though.

2. I agree. My husband may be the one doing the "real work", but I'm the one buying him clothes, food and everything else. If they want the discount to only go to servicemembers, then they'll say so. Otherwise, we all are making sacrifices on this journey. For me, it's not living near a good mall, ahem…

P.S. Amy, you rock! :)

3. I was a milspouse before I became a dual mil family, and I had no issues either way with accepting a discount. I always asked, never complained. Like many have said, that military income is supporting the family and as a spouse you're typically shopping for the family's needs or working within the family budget. Like you said, if they didn't intend for it to be for dependents, they'd only accept CACs.

4. From the other side of it, if the stores include dependents AND they can afford to give the discount, then I think we should accept the discount.

I believe too if you are buying lets say a pair of 4 inch heels and a slew of nail polish, no matter how pretty it makes you look to your servicemember, I'm convinced taking the discount is not in the spirit it was intended!

5. I am not a service member, nor are either of my parents. Two of my three uncles served, my grandfather (on my dad's side) was discharged due to pore vision, and both of my mom's parents served. My little sister married a "Military brat" (their words not mine), and I have a nephew in law that is currently serving. And many friends that have served or are serving.

My sisters mother in law buys diapers at the PX for her grand children.

My niece is a single mom as her husband is overseas. Her sacrifice is tangible she may not be in harms way but she willingly gave her husband to the service of our country. And if she wants to use a offered discount to buy 4 inch heels I'm fine with that, I'm fine with if she uses a discount to buy yarn to make goods and sell them. (I do not know if she does these things but I am okay with it)

I think anything I can do to make the life of a service members family better I am for. I would rather shop at a place the offers a discount to military families then one that does not.

LL I get what you are saying. I however think that if the spouse is buying something they would buy anyway and it is for personal use there should not be a problem. It is helping the family and I think that is the intent of the discount.

I will say that I think it is wrong if they buy the heels with a discount to sell on Ebay or something like that. That is taking advantage of the offer.

6. BIG TIME DISAGREE!!! Only the White and Blue I.D Cards should get the discount. Just because you are a spouse doesn't afford you the right for a discount % at a business for MILITARY, YOU ARE A CIVILIAN. Spuses really PISS me off, they all try to live thru the RANK of there spouse. BS!! That's like saying If I was a GS employee for either 1 day or 29 yrs on the job with "zero" military service I should have the benefit to shop at the commissary, get gas…ect

• So, after my husband has worked a 14 hour day, he should do all the shopping for himself and our household so that he can get a discount. It's alot easier to send me to purchase things with his money and to obtain the discount that is offered. That way he has some free time to relax and do things he would like to do.

• Go to the BX, you don't need a discount on shoes at pennys.

• Aarty. You must not visit AAFES; the major inventory items are on racks filled with GORDO SIZES, they do not go for FASHION. And as for "shoes?" Not to mention Lancome or the more up-scale cosmetics, nor hours of operation, nor any particular concern with management of inventory; the mantra is "tax savings" and not "dollar/benefit" as previously in their penchant for PASSPORT clothing that is inferior to discount houses on the economy. And this issue boasts they are a major employer of military spouses? As one having shopped monthly at AAFES for years, the personnel are top notch; likely pay is below market, and on top of that, they are the gracious recipients of "consumer complaints;" "management" of AAFES is an oxymoron! The standard response is something like "we didn't know you were coming;" why didn't you phone to request the normal and ordinary purchases items, like those of the managed inventory of all retail and supermarkets!

• The Spouses are the ones that stay home when the other is deployed. They should get a discount. Maybe if you were in their place you would understand. Both husband and wife are in the military, my son-in-law is in the Air Force and works long shifts and my daughter must shop for the family. Do you think the duty spouse has time to do all the shopping? NO, you need to learn what is going on before you open your big mouth. Also they do not get paid enough to do what they do and put up with the moving they have to do to do their jobs. They use to have the BX or PX which gave them a break in he price but no more the prices are about the same as in the Civilian stores.

• Obviously, you aren’t married. If you are try telling that to you your partner. I would hope they’d leave. Obviously, you don’t appreciate their sacrifice.

• LogicThinker | November 18, 2012 at 1:21 pm |

Curtis, either you are a grammatically challenged internet troll, or your perspective is of ignorance. If you were in the military and had a civilian spouse that you loved and could recognize her sacrifice along with yours, your opinion would change. Or… if you were a spouse of a military member, you would feel differently. I know you disagree with my comment (If you understand it), but that's ok. Like I said, ignorant perspective.

• Its a marketing tool. They don't care about the military member. If you're overseas you get gas and all the other stuff if you're sent there as a civilian employee. You also get the benefits in certain very remote US locations. I was at a place that had nearest off base anything was a 40 mile drive. And I spent a lot of days as a civilian where I never saw the sun come up or set.

• Susan Freemyer | November 19, 2012 at 10:44 am |

When you work for Walmart or other Retail businesses, they give you a discount card for the employee and their spouse & children to use. Is that spouse living through some unseen "rank" ? Big businesses offer discounts as a Marketing tool for loyalty. When you are a happy consumer you will tell at least 10 friends about the great services/goods that you received. If you're unhappy you will tell even more people how unhappy you are. You can look at it in a negative way or a positive way.

• SFC Stahl Retired | November 19, 2012 at 10:30 pm |

Must be single. The miltary wife is just as much needed as are people who whine because you are self centered. I hope someday you get married and see just how they are needed. GET A LIFE.

• I understand what you're saying Curtis, and to a point I agree with you. After 10 yrs Marine Corps infantry (yes, married during last enlistment and tour in Iraq) I still shake my head at some of the things I hear. We signed up for this,it's our job and if you married into it you either accepted the life or were ignorant to its meaning. I knew that I would be deployed a minimum of 6 months at least every 18 months or possibly more frequently, then of course the obvious potential of not returning. My wife and daughter never expected anything and never even bothered to drive to the base to get an ID. If your spouse was a trauma surgeon that saves lives daily and works crazy hours, would you ask for a hospital ID? They probably see more devastation and family strife over a career than most military perso ever will. yes they are compensated well but they put a lot in to get to that level. We chose a different path and shouldn't expect to be treated differently. So if you see a guy with kids bouncing on his lap at Shamu stadium and his wife is prodding him to stand(as usual) when they ask Vets to rise, the reason is he knows what he did and thats enough for him, it was our job.

• I am seeing many more stores, hotels, and other retail and service facilities that offer a military discount that are starting to offer "service" discounts which includes Firefighters, Policemen, Emergency Responders and a few other civilian careers which place the employee in danger just as much as the military. I salute these companies! And yes, I am a former Marine married to a retired Marine and we utizilie military discounts and always say "thank you" to the merchant as well as tell all our friends what a great company such-and-such is for being military- (or service-) friendly to refer more business to them.

• So, if they never got a ID then that means they had no health care?? As we all know, that is a big "benefit" for the military and if they didn't want to accept anything "free" then they should have received that and have paid out of pocket for theirs. I have no problems accepting a Military discount. My husband is either out to sea or working all day to go shopping. If they only wanted the service members to get a discount then they would say it. They offer discounts for a reason.

• MarineWifeNavyVet | November 20, 2012 at 2:42 pm |

I would have to disagree with you Curtis!! We as Family Members – Especially Wives, are the ones who are sitting at home,holding down the home, sending the kids to school, paying all the bills, worrying about our husbands… Why should we not use the “Military Discount”? We earned it right along with our husbands! Especially if we were with them their entire 10-20 year career… If you have not been in the Military or a Spouse, then you really do not know what it is like to go through a deployment, let alone a Combat Deployment, or the stresses, the not knowing… Being both parents full time, working full time, going to school full time, volunteering full time for your spouses Unit, and doing all the things to keep the house in order (to include cooking, cleaning, kids homework, paying bills, sending care packages)… I think we as Military Spouses who support our Service Members deserve the Discount as well…

• Military Widow | November 20, 2012 at 4:17 pm |

Excuse me Curtis!!!!! Many of our Military spouses have sacrifice alot by having our husbands deployed. We are left to care for our children. Run the household, worry when our car breaks down. Most important of all is worrying so much if our husband will return. Yes we are deserving of any military discount. My husband served 22 1/2 years in the military & died with cancer while serving. He died at 40 years old on his birthday. Am I deserving of any military discount. " You damn right" I appreciate everything the military has done to help me & others.

• Well Curtis, all I have to say is shame on you. My husband spent over 20 years in the Army and during that time he was gone more than he was home. I raised my daughter almost entirely by myself and that was back when no one gave discounts. I sure could have used them. There were many nights we only had mac and cheese for supper because we only got paid once a month. Try budgetting for 30 or 31 days on a military pay check! Most refrig's did not have enough freezer space and purchasing a freezer then was out of the realm of my budget. I learned to become quite self sufficient, but it was out of necessity not because I wanted to. I say if they can get a discount, Go for It! Wish we had them back when my husband was serving!

• Its for the benefit of the family of the service member, they are not always in a position to purchase something they need, so let the spouse purchase with a discount.

Just a dumb statement, you have issues.

• Well .. thank you for "weighing in," otherwise no one would believe that are those with those attitudes that were ever allowed in THE MILITARY, which has always honored "spouses" as those "non-volunteers" contributing so much to their active duty spouses and their missions; like who "baby sits" when active duty are deployed. "Spuses" PISS you off, eh? "They all try to live thru the RANK of there spouse." Really? Do they perhaps contribute to the career performance of THEIR spouses who can concentrate on the mission and not worry about welfare of families in their otherwise dedicated "missions" not of their chosing? BS? A GS UNION PROTECTED "EMPLOYEE?" You equivacate that to the demanding rigor of Military Service within any branch of THE ARMED FORCES? And you imply they should participate in "Military Entitlements?"

• Actually a Postscript to the above: Curtis. Your thesis is laughable. War and Peace? Wull .. were there UNIONS, there would be dedicated "work hours," "lunch hours," "specified break time," and "living wages" at "OVERTIME." Not to mention "comfort zones" of bedding, food, air conditioning/heat. Consider those complications of "duty" and "effectiveness" of "battle" on real turf of "combat zones." Again, thanks for sharing there are dolts as yourself.

• Curtis:
      Not all of us military spouses live through their rank, i don't. But i do take discounts because my husband and I are ONE! Our family is ONE! When he is deployed, I have a lot to deal with, as he does. I am not living through him at all. When i get a discount, it makes my husband happy because that saves us money, not just me. He feels appreciated when either of us gets one.

• Did your spouse leave you and take some benefits with her? Tis the season to be jolly and you sound so very bitter. I truly hope you can find some happiness in your life before it's too late. I am for the spouse taking the discount and I am speaking up as a widow of a 21 year Vietnam veteran. My husband recognized my contribution to making his home life easier and would encourage me to take advantage of all military discounts offered to me.

• Get over it… You really do have some deep issues… Where do you get your comparison from….You just a DUMMY

• Wow Curtis. Seems like you just cut your leg and jumped in a shark tank. Anyhoo. Some places offer their discounts only to the Service Member, others choose to extend that discount to the spouse and their kids. Until you walk a mile in the shoes of a dependent, giving your life to the employer of your spouse, then perhaps you should not give your uneducated opinion.

• You are SO WRONG! that is why the dependent card gives the dependent SPOUSE be it wife OR husband the right to shop in the commissary, use the exchange as well as the medical facility on base. In the eyes of the military the entire family is serving and deserves the use of ANY AND ALL BENEFITS and that includes any discounts that outside businesses might wish to extend.

In my case, my husband gave his life for this country of ours. I am not "pissed" as you have put it, that people like you exist, or that you might actually hold a military ID card in YOUR hand. But, after my sacrifice, don't tell me that I don't deserve to be using one either.

7. You deserve the discount, Thank you for making it possible for him to serve. A happy home makes for a focused service person.

8. john giantonio | November 18, 2012 at 12:25 pm |

absolutely, the spouse is more then likely buying for the military spouse ,so it ultimately goes to him/her ,that's the way it should be !!! and it's not like the military are getting paid millions !!!

9. Military spouses put up with a lot of crap. Family separation is hard on everyone. My wife cared for my children while I was doing 6 deployments, 6 field exercises and multiple schools. All spouses don't pretend to have rank. I've only noticed that among the officer wives. Spouses sacrifice also. Give them the discount. They earned it.

• I agree with you, Eddie. My mom was an Army Wife for the first 20 years of marraige. Then, she sent her twins off to serve as well. She took everything the Army threw at her and always landed on her feet. Praise God for that. She raised 3 boys, finished college, ran a in-home state licensed day care in 2 different states, and PCS'd overseas all by herself. Dad was gone for various reasons for more than 30 percent of my formative years…and that was without deployment to an active war zone.

I also agree with your comment about he O's wives being the ones that primarily used their husband's rank to justify themselves. Mrs. Clark was the exception to that. She did her husband proud(Gen Wes. Clark).

Those establishments that are offering the Mil. discounts know that the service members often can't physically be there to use the discount, and allow the dependants to use them. The ones that only let the member use it are only jumping on the bandwagon to claim that they offer discounts to Military too.

• Your spouse was not issued in your seabag. If he/she did not want the ardouis life of the military they could have said no to the I do. They are not military…just camp followers. Also, look at the E7/8/9 wives they are as bad as the senior "O" wives.

• Not a camp follower. I am a spouse of a service member. I am a scientist and engineer. I am one of those people that does the research and produces the technology that keeps you guys and gals safe down range.
        This respect thing goes two ways and if you are going to give any then you don't deserve any.

• Excuse me I am an E-8 wife and I never put on airs and think I am better than anyone else, I know a lot of Officer wives that are the same. There are some snobby spouses I agree, but you cannot generalize like that.

From a damn good "Camp Follower"

10. Being a veteran and now a dependent spouse, I think I can speak on this issue with a unique perspective. Military discount should be offered and accepted by military spouses. These discounts are meant to help the military family, not just the military member themselves. As has been pointed out many times already the spouse is the one who is most likely to be doing the shopping for the family because often the military member is unavailable to do so. Even if the Active duty member is at home, their schedules are rarely flexible enough to allow for the majority of household tasks, not to say some don't manage exceptionally well when needed (single parents, etc.), and therefore spouses often take on the majority of household purchasing. These discounts are an effort of local businesses to honor Military and ease the burden of financing a household on pay that is not equivalent to the civilian pay scale. I support all military spouses in taking discounts when offered and asking if one is available if not offered. Thank you to all our Service members, past and present, and their families who sacrifice right along with them.

• Totally agree. I mostly use it at Home Depot and the like to help me repair the house so we can sell it when it is time to PCS. In this down market, the house needs to be perfect to be sold.

• I completely agree. I was in the Military. Now I am a Military Spouse, I do the shopping, he doesn't have the time to Serve this Country and shop too!

11. SFC Stahl Retired | November 19, 2012 at 4:13 pm |

I am retire d Army and feel that if a spouse should be allowed the same benifit the the spouse. Rememmber they hae to sacrifice almost as much as the service menber. It may not be in combat but they sacrifice also to support them no matter what. Those who are against this should join the military and see just how hard it is on them. My wife was with me for 20 years of the 21 I served. I was married in 1970 and went to Vietnam for year . She has never once complined about me me gone. When i went to Germany the first time she had to fly over there with three kids between 5 month and 4 years old and to she and all spouse's think it's easy try it. Better yet join and see why they earned the discounts. Don't bitch untll you walked in there shoes.

12. I just retired and I think the dependent spouses deserve the same if not more for their,often thankless, job they do. Couldn't have been as successful without her.

13. I would be upset if she did not.

14. I can't believe this is even a question. A spouse is the military, they suffer every day along side their husbands and wives. This question is a product of the liberals who have never given anthing.

15. You are doing nothing wrong – the stores give the discounts as it generates a lot of repeat traffic. Free markets and commerce are wonderful things!

16. As a service member I agree that military spouses should be allowed the discounts and thanks that their respective husbands or wives recieve in uniform. For one when we are married we are 1 family not 2 persons per se and my spouse represents me and I her, but more importantly without my wife doing "her service" for our family and others, I can't do my service for our country, so even though she is not "under oath to defend the Constitution" she is still a service member in my book and should recieve the same respect, recognition, and thanks as a uniformed member……Just my 2 cents.

17. This is disrespectful. My wife is a disabled vet, we both served. She gets mad when sometimes she has to walk with a cane, and someone who MARRIED into the military gets a discount. Being the spouse of a stress magnet (Like firefighter.cop.logger etc.) Does NOT MAKE YOU ONE! There are plenty of distressed and honorable spouses that are not married to military, you are special, but you ARE NOT MILITARY!

• Let me get this straight frank. The vet contributes his/her money to the family and because it happens to be his spouse who is shopping at the moment the discount should not be used therefore he/she should pay more? Maybe your real message is that only dual mil families should get the benefit….is that what you are saying? Your disabled wife gets vets benefits and access to vets resources. What does the mil spouse get… career and no career based benefits because they PCS all the time.

The only thing that comes across is you and your wife's bitterness. It seems from your post that you think the spouse and children and thus the service member should pay more because they (spouse/children) don't put on the uniform. Way to look out for your brothers and sisters in arms Frank.

• Hey dummy, did you ever consider that the majority of married couples SHARE the bank account, and that every penny the spouse can save on their purchases saves money for the soldier?

Both of you need to chill.

• Frank. Perhaps you have not had the personal experience with a "Notice of Casualty" and the successive official letters of empathy and condolences always re-assuring of the gratitude of a Grateful Nation and your earned respect as a MEMBER OF THE MILITARY FAMILY.

• I am a disable vet and my husband is still active duty. I have been a dependent over 16 years. I would not be offended at all, if a married into the military gets discounts. When you are married, you are one. Whether you are a vet or married to military you are part of a family. I love my military family. Do I expect discounts, No! If they give it, sure I will take it…he serves the country and I serve him. The discounts are for his service and to help him. So discounts help him, when his family members receive it too! Any place that has given military discounts, seem to do it with pleasure. I appreciate the fact they recognize me as a family member to give discount to me or ANY military spouse. It show me that people appreciate my husband. It always warm my heart that companies care about the military and their families. The military life has ups and downs and I wouldn't change it, with or without the discounts. Also for those above that state spouses wear their husband ranks it does happen from the airmen to an officer spouse. I wouldn't stereotype. I am an officer spouse and my husband rank is just that, it's his rank. I try to be kind to everyone, whether an airman or officer spouse. People need to stop being bitter on both sides.

18. The only thing that irritates me is (when I was working in retail) was when I had a military spouse (husband was an O-5) buy over $100 in baseball equipment for her 5 year old only to find out that we offered a 10% military discount at our store AFTER she purchased, so she returned everything and re-bought it so that she could get the discount. To me, that is absolutely ridiculous. I am a military spouse, and yes, if a store offers a military discount, I would use it, but I would never ever do something like that!

• Agreed. That is just tacky.

• Gah! Retail is an honorable profession but does not attract genius in all cases; you cite your own testimony. There was nothing whatever dishonest in the honorable transaction in the first place; and to return the items for re-purchase on legitimate terms and conditions extended is just plain financial sophistication. Increasingly all the major home supply stores offer the "Military Discounts" as do many other establishments inclusive of auto repair and they PROUDLY post the extension of MILITARY COURTESY.

19. Most of the discounts are minimal but are still graciously accepted by myself , a military spouse. In my opinion the discount comes as a way of the business saying ,"thank you. I dont understand all the hostility behind a spouse getting a discount. AND it is up to the business to accept or deny dependents.Some businesses will even say "active duty military only". The way i see it is if they give a discount Yayy! if not, no love lost. I have never asked, unless im with my spouse BUT if they ask me i always say im a dependent because that;s what I am. Those spouses who act like they are in the military may act like that because of all they sacrifice by being a spouse. They are right there dealing w/ everything in the household. How can they not feel apart of the bigger picture (their spouse serving). Also since the spouse is out serving, he or she more than likely does not have time to shop, the civilian spouse does. Discount or not discount, spouses will still shop. But to those who offer a discount, it is still nice to know businesses don't mind sacrificing a little to say thank you and in the process gain some business.

20. Since a Republican senator is now talking about the "duplicative" nature of the commissary/PX system, it looks like on-post shopping will be taking a hit and military families will have to go where the civilians go to shop. Having a military discount will take the sting out of no longer being able to use the benefit of shopping near home and enjoying the military's buying power. Don't ever be afraid of taking advantage of a military discount… pretty soon that's going to be just about the only benefit of service that your family will be able to enjoy once the cutting is complete. The schools are next on the chopping block.

• This is a point that may have been made elsewhere but not in my experience to date. Once was we had extensive dispersion of military installations on the validity of the premise of security from attack as opposed to regional and local focus as convenient targets. With base closures, there are few areas really boasting the military installations replete with the Commissaries, Exchanges and even Military Treatment Facilities. And mainly locations on the Southeastern coast and in the vicinity of Washington DC. In CA, there are few and far between making patronage a contest of mileage and cost and comparable savings having dwindled with what many may cite as totally inefficient management of dollar/benefit products and services; one Commissary opens at 10 a.m. when market supermarkets are nearly 24 x 7, The Exchange opens at 9 a.m. or so and is never stocked! Major cosmetic products were once ordinary and standard; no more. Pet supplies at savings of cost plus taxes and the 60% of pet families nationally are not a high order priority of the exchanges.
      Fairness would be to re-assess these "benefits;" and fairly compensate in terms of "pay and allowances" for all.

21. Here is what confuses me….. 4 u that DONT Think WE the Military Wives do not deserve the discount or want to put conditions & stipulations on what we purchase, take this as food for thought; THE BIBLE says when WE enter into a marriage, WE BECOME ONE…. now while I understand that I DO NOT and DID NOT Physically serve in the Military – I/WE deserve the discounts plus more for what we sacrifice…..but YOU wouldn’t be able to WALK A CITY MILE in my shoes let alone a lifetime…… WE sacrifice more than you will EVER BE ABLE TO UNDERSTAND…..EVER!!!!…. We are entitled to medical benefits, continuing educational benefits, but you have a problem with us getting 8-10 percent of food and retail items? GIVE ME A BREAK that’s ONLY TAX anyway!….

22. We sacrifice so much more as a spouse that the 10percent that you are bitchin about! That 8=10% PALS IN COMPARIONS…. to what we go thru……our children have questions constantly about their father/mother/service person, and We THE GOOD ones are lonely! Not for sex but just for his/her presence in the home, whether good or bad,,,, we sacrifice during the HOLIDAYS like NOW when our children and other family member are HAPPY we have to put on a HAPPY FACE while covering a HURTFUFL HEART…… our husbands miss MILESTONES in our children’s lives( i.e.… Births, Deaths, babies taking first steps, speaking their first word, they miss graduations, birthdays, weddings, grandkids being born and such……….. YET you are BITCHIN about 10percent which isn’t going to make or break ANY OF YOU….

23. So until you have understanding of the Sacrifices & Struggles, have the FAITH, STRENGTH & RESILIANCY and posse the ADORATION and LOVE that WE have to have EVERYDAY, don’t EVER TALK about what we DON’T DESERVE, because while you are with your Family getting fat on turkey –U REMEMBER THIS…….. MY HUSBAND, SON and FATHER are fighting for you to eat YOU REMEMBER that my children are WITHOUT THEIR FATHER, UNCLE & GRANDFATHER….and remember YOU READ THIS POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. I see nothing wrong in excepting a discount offered by a business to anyone who has a military ID. I think it is honorable of a business to offer anything to military persons (and their dependents). They don't have too. They want too. I don't like to think of supporting my husband at what he does and taking care of our children as a sacrifice or serving along side him just because he is in the military. I see it as meeting my obligations and responsibilities of being a wife and mother.. That being said, I do see the argument that military spouses are serving and sacrificing. I do this because I love my family and I don't want my husband to worry about what is going on at home. When he is gone, he as enough to worry about. When people thank me for what I do, as a military spouse I always respond by saying thank you but I am only doing what any other wife and mother should be doing.

25. If Reservists get it, spouses should get it.

26. I see nothing wrong with taking the discount. As a matter of fact I will be using it for the holiday as I travel out of town.

27. The pay in the military isn't really that much. Anything that amounts to saving can be really helpful.

28. Amy, As a retired servicemember I've always felt that the discount was meant to benefit the military member. So, how would it be any different if my wife or son used the discount? Doesn't it still benefit 'me'? It benefits my family which, especially during deployment, eases my mind that my beloved wife is using our resources smartly so that they will go farther. I think that a spouse, or dependent (I know, non-politically correct term) child, using the discounts for things that are needed is just fine. After all, my family sacrificed all those same holidays and family times when I was on watch or deployment as I did.

Jeff M

29. Spouses should get discount cards/ID Cards for military bases only for whatever they need, whether its the commissary or exchange stores. This has been a talk for some time on the executive level, but the policies and orders get shot down. The discounts off/on base should be priveliged for Military Troopers ONLY, whether your Active Duty or Reservists. They’re cutting back on cuts for commissary and the exchange stores for all branches and closing them down 1 by 1. I like hearing all these excuses on how im deployed, i work 12 hours a day. FYI your in the military 24 hours regardless what branch your in. Didn’t you all get the memo that your signficant other has a difficult job and will miss majority of your life whether he/she does 4-20 years or so. There is MOSs that don’t get deployed at all. I work among officers and NCO’s who have been in Active duty for 15-25 years and never done 1 tour overseas. Now the rest of the MOSs are deployable .Bottom line the discounts are used for Military Troopers not SPOUSES. Being medically retired and working among wounded warrior and families we all need to help each other regardless of ranks and politics. Spouses I do understand your struggles, take advantage of it, but don’t abuse it. You all have a great Thanksgiving!

30. Yes, it’s acceptable. Military spouses make sacrifices everyday especially ones with children and their spouse is not always around, you take the place of two people. I say go for it, it’s a way the community gives back and we keep them in business by returning for more merchandise. I am a veteran and currently a military spouse.

31. what is the meaning to this question? for sure, for sure! if you have been in service as a spouse, and i mean service too, because like it or not we deal with sooooo much garage, and the need for understanding of what WE do to support the military, why should anyone deny a small thank you for ALL we do? after 24 years plus of duty ,I think I have done my share. During these years I've feed and hosted young Marines, helped rise funds for balls, and ironed uniforms for burials, so 10% is nothing but a small thank you. God bless the miliray and all who love this country.

32. The wives have an ID card and should benefit from the spouse's service! They are as much a part of the military system as the soldier! The money they spend is usually the only paycheck so indirectly, the solder is paying for it anyway! Families suffer the most in the military!

33. @ Curtis and others with similar thoughts…..

I have three questions regarding your comment:

1) Besides our wives taking care of everything on the home front, which allowed us to focus on our jobs, are you suggesting military spouses are not deserving?

2) I am 80% service-connected / disabled and, though I'm now a civilian, we do utilize these discounts. Are you suggesting I should not be able to accept these offers?

IF SO, how much more sacrifice do you suggest spouses and disabled vet's pay, in order to be allowed to accept these discounts?????

34. We all (active, reserve, retired, spouses, etc.) need all the help we can get.

35. There is absolutely NO doubt that spouses should use military discounts when available. I served 2 years in the Guard and 20 years in the Navy and I can tell you my wife served right alongside me. There is as much sacrifice on the home front from spouses as there are on the lines. Sometimes I think it may even be harder in that she had to adjust her life for my absence while still having reminders around keeping her aware of me. I had to adjust as well but immersion in my job had its distracting benefits. If a military spouse is thanked for their service, believe me they earned it. On a side note the money saved from the discount is money from military pay and so……

36. I take the discount, nothing wrong with it since I hold a military ID card, for what we as service family members put up with not a big deal. Money is usually tight around here and we need all the help we can get.

37. stop the dependent term and use family memberthe dark ages are gone

38. My husband is the spouse(he is a vet too) and I know he takes the discounts offered but if they don’t offer then he doesn’t ask. He takes care of our 4 children and 2 grandchildren (their father was killed in Iraq, mom not in picture). I do deploy often I believe that all spouses should take the discounts. It helps with the day to day things diapers are expensive!

39. Member/Spouse | November 27, 2012 at 6:49 pm |

You want the discount? Join. You don't have a Military ID you have a dependant ID. Know the difference.

40. I don't see the problem. Military families are a whole unit and when one is deployed, they all deal with this. My husband is happy to know that I get discounts, he feels the appreciation from it. We are a team and when something affects one of us, it does the other as well. So military spouses should absolutely be able to get a discount. We sacrifice with our spouses, we have stressed during deployments (a different type of stress, but it is still hard either way), and we are ONE family unit. What effects one, effects all! That is how it works.

41. I'm a Gulf War/Somalia time formerUS Marine, served 8 years to the red white and blue and my beloved country. I never married when I was in the Corps. I have this to say, military wives are entitled to whatever any given business offers them. There sacrafice is a great one having there military member overseas in harms way. Taking care of everything on there own, bills, kids, house, and any number of things and having to worry constantly which way there loved one is coming home (battered mentally, physically, maybe in a body bag.)It takes a special woman to do this. MILITARY WIVES I SALUTE YOU! STAND BY YOUR SERVICE MEMBER! TAKE ALL THE DISCOUNTS YOU CAN GET! My opinion is this topic is silly at best a makes me mad. Support your troops and there families here at home. PERIOD!

42. This story didn't even need to be written. You can't begin to place a value on a military spouse. The knowledge that there's somebody back home who loves you and is keeping all the other aspects of your family's life in order is a national asset, well worth recognizing.

43. Here's some food for thought….yes, as a spouse, I take the military discount without guilt and admit to looking for special offers for military families. However, one thing that I firmly believe is that each offering is a kindness and you must pay that kindness forward. I donate to organizations that help militarynfamilies, Ive done fundraising for families in need, and when I find an amazing deal I buy several so I can donate them.

44. As a retired, 25 years, service member I have to say "Yes" my spouse as well as all spouses have served. Maybe not in the combat theater but certanly everywhere else. I have always felt that spouses almost always get the short end of the stick. Going into combat is far simpler (more dangerous) than than raising a sometimes single parent and sometimes dual parent family. Anything that says "Thank You" to them has been well earned.

45. David Sobel | March 29, 2013 at 12:31 am |

I hope the guy who thinks that our spouses do not deserve discounts is sitting down because I do not want him to fall down and hurt himself after reading my post! First, I am a disabled veteran rated at 100%, my son from my first marriage wanted to go back to college so I asked my DAV Officer what help was available. He asked me for the SSN's for my children All my children even my step children. There is 4 total. We filled out the paperwork and he provided a booklet describing the benefit they would receive from my disability. As it turns out only 3 of the 4 kids took advantage of the benefit which was $33,500 per. child over four years tax free! My son graduated Suma Cum Laude with a 4.0 in Computer Engineering, my two step daughters graduated magna cum laude with education degree's and teach grade school with one specializing in teaching special Ed students. What will it cost me? How about my life as I will die way too young and will miss so much! In fact, I almost died two weeks before Christmas last with a Stroke. So even when we stop serving in uniform and they use you up and send you home you are still giving them their pound of flesh!

46. Use it or lose it. If nobody accepts the discounts then they will cease to be offered. I never understood this mentality. Or the well you should have said no to I do? Really so put a rule stating military members aren't allowed to get married. See how well that goes over………I am a bit different than military spouses because I knew my then boyfriend, and now husband before he became NAVY, like in high school. So after 6 years of dating I am told I should have said no when he proposed because he entered service? Those same people would have ripped me apart for saying no to a service members too which I find hilariously hypocritical. I got my bachelors degree in education before I even married him, so no educational benefits for me needed or wanted (who grows up wanting to be a dental hygienist anyway?) since MYCAA those big deal educational discounts only covers associate degree or short certificate programs for dead end near minimal wage jobs. We moved across the country from anything and anyone I know to a state with massive layoffs in my field after leaving a STABLE well paying job to be with him. I had to not only learn new grocery stores but a whole new state and a whole bunch of NEW everything. Searched for a job for almost a year and faced discrimination because it was obvious one doesn't move across the country unless one is affiliated with the NAVY. After working several crappy jobs I got a job paying HALF of what I used to make at a Base preschool and worked my way up from a flex employee to full time teacher to now a department lead…..NOTHING was handed to me and because of LACK OF SENIORITY due to my being a milspouse I never get any of the major holidays off and this while working on base. I finally started an accelerated one month course (12 total) at NATIONAL UNIVERSITY for my masters which offers discounts for those working through the NAVY and I AM PAYING MY OWN WAY THROUGH when I put my foot down and refused the NAVY to deny me this as well. So I work 9-6 Mon-Friday then come home and cram for school (5 months of materials into one month) and even then my fields were limited since I had to be online since WE MIGHT MOVE AGAIN and transferring credits is a bitch. So please tell me I don't sacrifice anything by being with my husband, tell me I don't miss my family during big holidays, tell me I didn't cry after seeing my mother after 3 years of accumulating vacation time in a job that is only flexible vacation wise for locals that don't have to fly home. You people that say that are the reason why I want to punch you because you haven't walked in any milhouse shoes and yet you judge. I've been told I would cheat on my husband because of being a milspouse, funny how the other way around is more prevalent in the military. So I will take my discount and you can shove your petty ignorant comments back down your throat or I hope a milspouse does it for you.

47. Dale, I guess you need to enlist and "Swear to defend your country" every four years since you think the military is so rewarding. You civilains have not a clue as to the sacrifices we make for you and your freedom. Try living in a sub for 6 months not seeing the light of day the whole time. It goes on and on – you are pathetic!!!!!!!!!!!!!

48. Uh … the flowing degree of ignorance as to your topic has this particular contributor questioning how is it you are on this site to begin with? A "high school grad" may well benefit from the opportunties to upgrade personally and professionally; but officers are required to hold at least a Baccalaureate Degree; there are numerous options to progress through various sources of educational qualifications. Furthermore, the caliber of resources of our Armed Forces is such that there is stiff competition for promotion, two pass-overs for promotion and OUT. As to all those "freebies:" from Day One who knows what the future holds; a plush fun assignment or one to the boonies or some horrific battle zone as those endured by the military having served in Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan and God knows what the future holds. There are 2.5 Million Federal Employees more likely to die on the job than be fired or laid off. 25% earning $100K and up!!! They have a UNION. No qualifications required; job security. Think about it.

49. I was enlisted twice and I agree with Dale. Quit being a troll and actually argue a point if you disagree.

50. Well for your information D.J. I do NOT "need to enlist" I DID that 4 times for 22 years.

I have plenty of "clues"

When is the last time a sub deployed for 6 months and was submerged the entire time?

I have two brother in laws IE guys maried to my sisters, both recently retired, one a B-1-B pilot, he spent 24 years at Ellsworth, never transferred, never "deployed" in the traditional sense, bombing missions to Iraq and Afghanistan with maybe a one night lay over "on the way home." was never away from home other than going to the occasional school for more than a week. owns a million plus house that the government paid for with 20 plus years of BAH. the other a B-52 pilot who spent 26 years at Barksdale, same thing.

Plenty more like that out there.

51. what if he doesnt come back……sorry for the misstake

52. Thank you for recognizing what's important to our service members and families – time together and tight budgets. If we are ever in your neighborhood we will be sure to look up Blue Horizon Lodge, for I appreciate your goodwill!

53. WOW… how refreshing to hear this from a business person. Thank you for being so kind, generous, gracious, and grateful for a military families sacrifice. It is always nice to get a break from the high cost of doing anything away from home. I second what some one else wrote… if ever we're in town, we will do business with you instead! My husband, (the active duty member), feels weird getting a discount or asking for one, but I am trying to break him out of his shell 'cause it's hard to make ends meet on one income with 3 kids.