Poll: Commissaries Could Close Wednesdays

All stateside commissaries and most located OCONUS will be closed on Wednesdays starting in April if Congress does not find a way to avoid sequestration, the massive across the board budget cuts, according to a memo from the Defense Commissary Agency’s CEO.

The memo, which was issued Feb. 21, says that closures will make the commissary comply with the Defense Department’s decision to furlough civilian federal employees for up to 22 days. The weekly closures could last through September.

They’ll also be on top of any other normal closures. For example, many commissaries are closed on Sundays, Mondays or both already.

You can read more about the memo in my story on Military.com.

For shoppers the closures will be at best annoying and, at worst, cause family budgeting problems.

For example, the Wednesday closure schedule would have the commissary closed at least one pay day — May 15.

Would the commissary closing impact you? Do you think this is a cost cutting measure that should stay in play beyond sequestration? Take our poll to the right of the screen and see the results below.

Amy is the editor in chief of Military.com’s spouse and family blog SpouseBuzz.com. A journalist by trade, Amy also covers spouse and family news for Military.com where she is the managing editor of spouse and family content. An Army wife and mother of two, Amy has been featured as a subject matter expert on CNN.com, NPR, Fox News, NBC, CBS, ABC and BBC as well as in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal and Washington Post. Follow her on twitter @amybushatz.

230 Comments on "Poll: Commissaries Could Close Wednesdays"

1. While the closing on Wednesdays won't really affect my family since we don't live on base I have PLENTY of friends who it will impact IMMENSELY. For those that live on base here it is a 30 minute drive to the nearest non-base grocery store and a 30 minute drive back to base. We already our Commissary closed on Mondays and if the Monday is a holiday it is closed on Tuesday too. If this closure goes thru it would mean for our area that there will weeks where the commissary will be closed MONDAY, TUESDAY and WEDNESDAY….

• Walter Dixon | February 26, 2013 at 8:51 pm |
    • I live 20 minutes from our commissary in Germany. At first, it was a struggle to adjust because at our last assignment, we lived on base and only 5 minutes from the commissary. However, we managed to work around the difficulties by planning ahead. When I was a young Airman, the commissary was closed on Mondays. And, if it was a holiday, it was closed on Tuesdays, too. It would be much worse if the closure wasn't predictable.

• I remember those days. Ours was closed every Monday and Tuesday too if it was a holiday weekend. I think the biggest adjustment especially in Germany (We just got back state side) was having to shop at the commissary because the economy food was so expensive. As for being closed on a certain day it wasn't a problem because we only went shopping twice a month on pay day anyway.

• Good morning- I am a veteran and former military spouse. I wish I had access to a commisary. My thought: What will be the next benefit to close: medical, dental, ER, etc.?

• Tricare Prime option is being cut for those who live outside the Medical Facility mileage, aNd if a commissary is cut, don’t think it won’t effect your pay, disability or pension. Folks voted him in and forgot this deal that he brokered in Aug 2011… This is the tip of the iceberg and Sadly the Armed Forces and us Veterans are the Titanic!

Mr Obama wants to build the divide and drain the armed forces and middle class out so the people wiill bring the socialism ideologies to him; so Very sad a state our country is in

• plan! get your head in the game and plan accordingly! it's not rocket science! Geez, you need someone to do it for you?!

• I really do not see the problem, do you people actually mean to say you are at the commissary that often? We go shopping once a month, and then once a week or so for milk and bread which wont last a whole month.

• Mitch Dowler | February 27, 2013 at 8:56 pm |
      • That 5% tax is why we do not shop there. It is cheaper to shop off base where there is no tax. (For us down south anyway, that was not the case in West Point where we had to shop on base and pay the tax)

• SFC D Retired | February 27, 2013 at 9:57 pm |
    • SFC D Retired | February 27, 2013 at 9:57 pm |
    • Hank Gallegus | February 28, 2013 at 9:31 pm |

Grow up, plan. Geeezz, quit crying. Do you think you'll starve? What a bunch of babies.

2. I dont generally shop on weds anyway, but I will just plan ahead & make sure I have the necessary things like milk & bread, ahead of time.

• Here we are again with yet another broken promise to take care of those who server. When will this trend end? It’s said that America care for it service members and their family. How can we make that statement and now considering closing commissaries? It’s so easy to decide that saving money normally mean cutting military expenditure. These commissaries and exchanges server the average military family very well, granted some can stand some modernization at little cost. I‘ve suffered through this process already with the closure and relocation of a two major command post. This was an ongoing battle and depending who was elected focused on whether the bases stayed open. Anyway as I stated from the beginning this is a bad idea. Why not save money by not buying items the military has already told congress they don’t want are need. This would save billions of dollars, but most elected officials want their time in the sun with constituent around election time by saying I brought new jobs in the area with wasteful defense contracts on item not wanted. Never mind helping by increasing military pay compared to civilian counter parts. These are people who for whatever reason decide to server this nation and its way of life. Separated from family members and love ones, which we all understand when enlisting in the military. However remember this nation also made promise to take care of those who server faithfully. Closing commissaries is a breach of the contact signed by this nation. I could go on with much more but will stop here and hope that this bad idea will end just like it started. Quietly and slip into the night. From someone who cares.

3. It's not that I don't care. I don't shop there because I live too far away.

4. We can expect a lot of expired food on the shelves~ if the folks are not there to buy it, it goes BAD! See this all the time when there is a holiday and they are closed for two/three days in a row. Sad!!! Lots of waste~

• It's called write off, if it doesn't sell.

• From a financial perspective. But from a millions-go-hungry-every-day perspective, it is a HUGE waste of food.

• May as well close our store due to the empty shelves we encounter at Fort Rucker. Deca is aware but does not see the problem. I feel for the emploies but we wouldn't miss this store!

• If they can't buy it on Wednesday, they will just buy it on Tuesday or Thursday or etc…. People still buy what they buy, regardless of what day it is on! Close it on Wednesday… Heck.. close it on Sunday too. Or maybe they should just be nice and close it on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday… 3 day weekend for the workers and at least someone will have a positive boost from it… afterall, most of the people working there are doing it as a supplement to their family income, not as a full blown career choice!!!

• I agree, I've seen some shabby vegetables and discounted meats when this happens. Plus the overcrowding they don't staff for.

5. My commissary is closed on Mondays. It is also always busy. It doesn't matter if it is payday or not. Closing it another day in the week is going to be a pain because everyone will have to squeeze in. The shelves are always bare by the evening. I wonder how another day closed will impact the crowds and merchandise availability?

6. Carlos E Flores | February 24, 2013 at 10:14 am |

The employees will take the brunt of this as their take home income will be reduced.

• Carlos that's exactly the angle my Military.com story comes at this from. I chose to focus on the shopper's perspective in this post — but you can check out that story for the workforce perspective.

7. It will affect everyone who lives on Fort Irwin beings its 45 mins to the closest grocery store..

• We have been stationed there 3 times, soon to be 4 this summer. While it would suck, it isn't the end of the world. THere is still a Shoppette to pick up basic's on that one day. I was stationed there for the first time in 1993 when the Commissary was closed on Mondays. It was a slight inconvenience, but you deal with it.

8. Richard Foy Jr | February 24, 2013 at 5:14 pm |

I’m retired and live outside Ft Hamilton and New York prices in local supermarkets are outrageous and I depend on the commissary but, can deal with one day less as long as we still have access and same stock to chose from. Shame that you gave to your country/government and can’t count on the little things that make a difference. Commissary is a big deal in New York.

• We lived at West Point for four years and I agree you cant afford to shop off base there. One day being open though isn't that big of a deal though since there is no excuse for having to go shopping every day. and Thank You for your service.

9. My wife only goes to the Commissary a couple of times a month armed with her resupply list for the next couple of weeks or month. Since she plans her menus and food requirements ahead of time, the only impact a Wednesday closing will have is remembering that the Commissary is closed on Wednesday's.

The world will not end and we will all adapt.

10. What are they talking about ? I was told by many people that the commissary was self suficent the goverment doesn't pay to operate the commissary!! Another scare tactic

• The commissary is self sufficient …. except employee salaries. The commissary receives a budget for employee salaries. That is what is being cut here through furloughs.

• Amen brother or sister.

• d. shel… Yes, you are absolutely right, the commissary and the Navy Exchange is self sufficient, they charged a surcharge in every items you buy. This is President Obama's sequestration idea, he flip-flops blaming on the Republicans, because Republican disagree raising taxes to everyone. This is a very effective scare tactics by the Democrats. Democrats wants a never ending spending spree and you have to pay higher taxes to supplement it… Great!

11. The commissary on Parris Island is a big fat joke! Tiny, dirty, hours suck and so does availability of products. I only stop by once a month for non perishable foods and products. Customer service sucks now, I can just imagine how much worse it may get since the people working there will get less pay or less hours. Not don't get me wrong, not all the employees are rude, just most of them. Besides all that it is the only commissary available…I drive 25 miles one way to a grocery store that has better service and products, now that store is "worth the drive"!

• I am the same way… I use the Paris Island rarely… and only buy non-perishables there… the drive isn't worth it, my time isn't even worth it!!! I have just forced my self to pay more for groceries and buy locally or at Walmart. I haven't seen much savings from using the commissary at all. Seems I spend more at the commissary, than when I shop in town!

12. I thought the commissary's sales paid for their costs. Why would they be impacted by sequestration?

• I was under that impression as well, so to me it does not make sense. If it is so that employee wages are a separate part of the budget costs(?), which also does not make sense, the solution could be the suggestion that has been floated in the past, to allow our servicemen and women who are disabled to also be eligable to shop in the commissaries, thereby increasing sales and profitability. Does NOT seem like rocket science to me.

• The 5% surcharge pays for operating expenses such as paper/plastic bags, meat trays and shrink wrap, etc. Another portion of this surcharge is used to build new stores and renovate existing stores. All salaries except baggers are paid by Congessionally Appropriated [taxpayer] dollars. Exchanges are self supporting to include all associate salaries.

13. The typical commissary and BX prices are usually higher than your local Wal-Mart. Maybe its time to privitize these services.

• Completely depends on where you live – not true in Hawaii

• Totally true! Groceries are crazy expensive in Hawaii, to the point that they check IDs to get into all commissaries.

• You are so wrong! I admit a FEW items may be a "litle more at other places but if you compare prices on about 90% of things thew commissary sells you would be saving, unless you live many miles away and the fuel cost would come into play. The commissary benefit is one of the FEW left for our veterans and active military. It is obvious you never served your country!

• it is not cheaper if you figure in the tax they charge and the bagger tip. Unless you are over seas it is cheaper to shop off base. (I wont even get into the fresher off base) and before you say it we have 9 years, 2 deployments and 3 posts both conus and oconus.

• The were privatized when AFES took them over. They haven't been the same since. Used to be dependents worked all the base exchanges, and tho you didn't have a lot of choices, prices were about half of what you would find in any off-base towns. When AFES took over they brought in mostly their own people, many of whom had no experience with military. That may have changed a bit since then, but what hasn't changed is the high prices. It didn't take us long to decide if we had to spend that kind of money for groceries we were going to find a civilian market that had better product, especially meats. Since the change over began AFES has developed a strangle hold on the military and military families. You should all push back. Take back control of one of the few things you actually had a say about with the military.

• Melanie Bush | March 3, 2013 at 7:58 am |

AAFES hasn't taken over the commissary you just don't know what you are talking about.

• I've heard many people claim that, but every time I've gone to Walmart I find most of what we buy to be more expensive.

• Not true for me! I actually compared the prices of everything I bought at the commissary to Walmart, Food Lion, Giant, etc. EVERYTHING was cheaper, which was unexpected – I thought someone would beat the commissary…nope.

• Melanie Bush | March 1, 2013 at 9:09 am |

You are lying. That is just not true.

• Pretty harsh statement and really uncalled for. The prices checked probably were cheaper at the commissary. Overall, they are. If you use coupons and buy the specials to include the frozen meats they cannot be touched at ny commercial stores. Just this past week a grocery visit to the Publix in SC was at least 18% more than what we normally spend for the same stuff at the commissary. Some items are a third more. A few store brand items are less. But the big thing is the support the system gives to allow commissaries ro our military families overseas as well as those who live on post. The group purchasing and operation makes for a pretty good if not perfect program for military families. It would be a shame to let the oligarcs who run the grocery stores cut this out.

• Ken Stevenson | March 5, 2013 at 11:12 am |

That is a partially incorrect response. If you were to say that the Navy or Post Exchange is more expensive you would be correct, however that is because they carry high quality merchandise. The Commisary on the other hand is much more reasonable than Wal-Mart or most other discout gocery stores.

• Not so between my commissary and WALMART on most items. Probably the same for yours if you really check it out. Mine is a huge USAF Base Commissary…..super prices.

14. I can't say it will effect our family, we will just plan around it.

15. As with most, we can work around this closure. I think a better way to save the gov money would be to curb the excessive use of Air Force One and congressional travel.. The congressional performance is way out of control. Clean sweep is in order…..

16. It doesn't bother me personally, but I feel bad for all those employees getting their hours cut.

17. Military wife | February 26, 2013 at 8:52 pm |
  18. None of the choices for the answer in the survey reflect my answer or attitude. Who wrote this survey? It is not very scientific, and its results will be biased, unscientific, and will have a pre-programmed desired outcome Do I shop there? No. But I still care. I care for a couple of reasons. Reason 1, our troops are already working 12 hour days most days, if not more. They don’t have quite the leisurely life-style that their civilian counterparts enjoy., and any convenience we can provide them is much appreciated. Keeping Commissaries and PXs open is such a little thing, but it IS something to help them. 2, I care about the people who work there. I’m sure that they’re making as much, or even a little more than, their civilian counterparts in retail. But they too are actually working and earning what they get. It’s a part of their income and budget, which surely isn’t much at the individual level. They aren’t gouging the Federal Budget any where near the amount that the High Officials in Washington are. I’m a disabled vet, and haven’t had what I could call a vacation (leaving the house, let alone the state), in well over a decade (and the rate of inflation just keeps going up far more than is acknowledged in Washington). If the first lady cut her annual vacation plans just in half, that would probably save enough to pay all the salaries of all the PX and Commissary workers what little they might plan on ‘saving’ by making these cuts. Imagine if she cut out any vacation plans for an entire year. Now imagine if all the First Ladies didn’t go on world-class vacations for an entire decade (since the rest of us can’t, either). No, that alone wouldn’t reduce either the deficit or the National Debt, but it does point out just how little and ineffective the proposed cuts will be towards reducing anything.

• Jim — I wrote the survey. And it's not meant to be scientific. This is a blog, not the NIH. :-)

• LOL. That's funny!! Thanks, I needed that giggle. Peace and love to all of my fellow spouses and all other active duty families. If they do , in fact , "close" the Ft. Benning, GA commissary, I think a lot of hard working families would be adversly affected. There are some things that we just shouldn't try to cut back on and it's our military. This is what makes sure we all wake up as a free society. We can't afford to let the morale in our armed services drop. They allready make very little money for what they do. Let's get it together Mr. President.

• I agree and add this; none of us should pay one dime until all of the clowns in DC including the head Bozo and wife lose their pay and benefits until they fix all the problems they have created. No cuts in programs, increases in taxes or fees for us until they solve the issues they have created. It's simple! We should not have to pay for their mistakes!! They should!!!

• I agree with your comments. We said we would support the troops and their family. They protect us and we can not provide a little convienence. I too understood the commissary was supposed to be covering it self. What about privitization instead of closure?

19. I just love this…sequestration to cut spending. Here's an idea obama and friends…QUIT SPENDING MONEY YOU DON'T HAVE!!! What is so difficult to understand about this? Five trillion dollars in four years wasted in trying to pick up the economy that needed reset to begin with. Why don't we blame it on Bush and ban guns, oh wait, we're already doing that!

20. Since we moved to Texas where there is no tax on food we no longer shop at the commissary. Until they shut it down and hand it over to AAFES to run we probably wont be going back. By the time you pay their tax and tip the bagger it is cheaper to shop off base.

• If you really dont feel that you save money at the commissary it has to be the way you shop. NOTHING comes close to the commissary, even after you pay that "tax" (AKA surcharge) and the bagger fee…unless of course you tip 20+ dollars! Granted, there are some "specials" out there to entice you in the local food mart, but overall you can't beat the commissary – ESPECIALLY when it's the commissary having one of their sales! Not to mention the semi-annual "Tent-Sale". Add the fact that DECA takes all coupons…(which is a better way to offset that surcharge and bagger fee you seem so worried about)…it's untouchable in true value to include WalMart. It is truly unfathomable that you make such a blatant statement like that! Sheesh! The COMMISSARY is by far the best benefit we have left!!!

• Perhaps it depends on where you live. But if you would like to come to Fort Sam where were are now you will see that the prices and food quality is better at H.E.B. I would argue that H.E.B. can beat the commissary in both price and quality. I can back that up with my food inspector wife since it is her decision where we shop. Sure the sales are nice as is the tent sale but that is not the norm. If it makes you feel better to be like Obama and pretend the surcharge is not a tax that is fine with me but it doesn't change the fact that the economy grocery stores to not charge tax. So what I gather from your last statement is I should have to clip coupons in order to spend the same amount I would off base without coupons. The commissary would be much better off if it were not a GS operation because then the employees would not be over paid and baggers would be paid by the store and not the customer.

• Melanie Bush | March 3, 2013 at 8:02 am |

You food inspector wife doesn't inspect the commissary. This is done by the military. HEB is much more expensive than the commissary.

• My wife is a 68R Vet Food Inspector and she does inspect the commissary though she is now teaching the new food inspectors when they finish basic before going off to their future first duty stations.

• The commissary is NOT a GS operation. GS, or government service, is appropriated funds. That's why the government shutdown affected GS employees. It did not affect the commissary because their employees are paid from NON- appropriated funds. Two different funds. And they don't make a lot of money.

• That is kind of funny since the commissary was one of the first government agencies that closed for the duration of the shut down though it really has nothing to do with the fact that it would be better run by AAFES than DECA ! So perhaps in your wisdom you could explain why the manager at the Fort Sam commissary is a GS13? They are GS and it is why they got laid off one day a week and also why they were laid off during the full shut down.

In the future you might want to do just a little better research before showing you know nothing about the conversation. GS is both appropriated and non appropriated funds.

• Rolex, you don't have to be nasty. Just because in MY experience in the military for 56 years I have always understood that the commissary was funded by nonappropriated funds does not give you the right to disrespect anyone in the manner you have. You can kindly disagree and explain why you do so. I may not be as worldly wise as you, but I would not be as rude as you have been. I am not in the position to explain anything the government has chosen to do. Why sequester the military but still allow the unbelievable amount of funding for the first familly's vacations? Don't be so quick to judge others and try a little kindness.

• It was not my intention to sound nasty. I just found it rather funny that you commented how it is not a GS operation in capital letters (NOT) and yet it has been for years. GS positions are both appropriated and non-appropriated funds. As I said earlier in my post, my wife is a food inspector and inspects the commissaries among other places. It is how we know, they were furloughed with us and during the shut down they were non-essential and were off work those days, hence it being closed. Unlike it not being affected as you claimed. And for the record, a GS13 step 1 (that's a beginner), makes over 81k a year plus all the other benefits we receive as GS employees.

• Chief, I retired in 2007 from the USN and while stationed in Hawaii I shopped almost exclusively at the commissary because the prices were significantly lower than off base grocery stores. However with the exception of Naples, Italy, I really haven't had access to a decent commissary or NEX since I'm a submariner and the commissary in Groton was a joke, the commissary/NEX at KingsBay was a joke. The closest decent was wasn't worth the trip. I now live 55 miles from the commissary at NAS JRB Ft. Worth and I've shopped their one time and it's a joke as well. Our local grocery stores beat their prices by far. I have loyalty cards for our local grocers that are worth savings in the store and at the gas pump. To say that the commissary is our best benefit we have left is slightly skewed. There are many locations that the commissary is no better or slightly higher than the local stores. At least in Texas.

• …and you mention AAFES..like they're a great organization. THEY'RE the part of the problem. YOU have to find the best deals out there…and "hope" they'll match the price. Way back when they were truly out for the members, the BX would have the best price available – bar none! Civilians would beg for those prices. All the leg work was done…not any more…WE have to find the best prices…
      You seem so out of touch with reality…you can't substantiate ANY of your comment.

• I would not say they are the best but they would do much better than the commissary. They actually pay all their employees and they do not charge a tax either. Add to that that they are not GS employees and you have a better motivated group of people to serve the military. After all it is AFFES who sends their volunteer employees down range to man our Px's in a combat zone. A portion of their profits go back into the MWR program as well. the commissary doesn't give any of theirs. Did you know they do not even pay their stockers? The stockers actually work for the vendors and are paid by the pieces they stock. You are right about one thing in all your ramblings though. Gone are the days that it is cheaper to shop on base. We used to buy gas on base because it was cheaper, now it is cheaper to but it off base even if you count the 5 cent per gallon discount from AAFES. Here it is 3.52 on base and 3.45 off base.

• Melanie Bush | March 3, 2013 at 8:04 am |

I have worked for both. They are just completely different entities and trying to compare them is like comparing apples to hamburger meat. It doesn't work. By the way, they are not GS employees, you are right, but all that means is they don't have to pay them a living wage.

21. They get paid better than social security and have more benefits, why do they deserve any discounts on food…join the other ones struggling to make it!!!!!

• Because they, on a daily basis, put their lives in harms way to secure your freedom to post asinie statements on a topic you do not understand. It is a benefit they earned.

22. I still say why do they deserve a discount on food more than anyone else that is struggling??????

• because it was one of the inducements to make the service a career. Every thing we were promised is being eroded. No dental, no medical, no theater, now more limited commissary – and i's 135 miles one way to my nearest base. Not because I want to live that far away, but because I have parents in their 80s (including a career military father).

Can you imagine how unions would react if you were taking things away from them, like maternity leave,

Every time there is a shortage cause by the greed and stupidity in Washington, we get hit because they control out paychecks. It wuldn't be so bad if the whole country chipped in… but they never do.

• Dude, we suffer!! You come walk a mile in either my shoes or my husbands and tell me we don't suffer!! Seriously, the young active duty members are barely making above minimun wage, even with the all the "beni's" which are that much at all. Most of the young couples that I know with children are on WIC. How is that fair? We live over seas so we really do not have anywhere else to shop, with the exception of a few local markets but since I can't read Japanese, I am just guessing on half the stuff I buy. Shopping on the local economy is super expensive here as well! Depending on where you live in the states, Wal Mart is cheaper on some things. I always used the commissary to buy my meat and bought most everything else at Wal Mart when we lived in TX. On top of everything else the commissary isn't the only thing being effected. The DoDea schools will be as well. Do my children deserve a sub par education just because their Daddy has chosen to serve this country???

• Great Response David!!!
        And I'd like to add how would someone respond if they were to have manditory service like other countries do? Then they would feel this entitlement is theirs. Sadly, folks in America have moved to the "ME" movement and forget those dispite DC's political enviroment, troops are still following orders, leaving families behind and standing up for this country, when many just turn their backs and expect others to take care of it.

• Military Brat | February 28, 2013 at 12:54 pm |

There should be alot more benefits extended to the Military because they are the miniority. Less than 10% of the country's population are serving, or have served in the U.S. Armed Forces. Their families struggle as well.

• Retired CG CWO4 | February 28, 2013 at 2:02 pm |

I'm going to make an assumption that you are asking a question because you are clueless rather than the obvious fact that you are missing a couple of "ss" from your name. Where were you when our military retirees were sloughing the jungles of some God forsaken country? I can pretty much bet that you weren't struggling with them. What makes the narrow-minded think that because ANYONE else is struggling that those who are paying for the benefits they are receiving should have to take a reduction in ENTITLEMENTS that they have earned? These people worked, sacrificed repeatedly and yes even spilled a little blood in defense of this country and don't deserve individuals like you to repeatedly ask stupid questions not once, but multiple times. Get off of your "asteve" and put the uniform on yourself long enough to earn those entitllements and maybe you'll understand the answer to your own question. I'm sick and tired of the lame, sick and lazy sitting on their hineys and whining because someone worked harder than they did and earned more. You can't have steak on a hamburger budget. Get over it!

23. The typical commissary and BX prices are usually higher than your local Wal-Mart. Maybe its time to privitize these services.

• Its a benefit we were given when we re-enlisted, like medical care, free travel and some other goodies
      they used to keep us in the service. As with so many other government things, they sort of disappear
      as time goes on. But the pay scale was set because they had all these benefits. Keep the commissary,
      px etc. We drive 20 each way once a month b ecause prices are so high in stores in CA. Used to
      drive from Idaho Falls to Hill AFB in Utah, 200 miles each way, once a month, with small kids, it was
      essential to sustain life. They've b een good over the years, need the benefit, we don't get the big
      retirement bennies of the sand crabs, we have to save where we can. As to Walmart, good place to
      buy a lot of stuff but they do have a lot of junk.

• I agree, it seems as though the commissary on Fort Riley raises it prices around military paydays and it is not worth shopping there anymore. I live closer to Walmart so it is not worth the trip to travel across town to shop at the commisary.

• The commissary changes prices on the 1st and the 16th every month. The charge you cost. If prices go up or down it is because the manufacturers are charging the commissary more or less. It is a myth that the commissary raises prices on paydays.

24. Since we moved to Texas where there is no tax on food we no longer shop at the commissary. Until they shut it down and hand it over to AAFES to run we probably wont be going back. By the time you pay their tax and tip the bagger it is cheaper to shop off base.

• I agreed with you until you got to AAFES. When I compare the prices of items that they both sell, AAFES is (almost without exception) higher. That being said, my Target card with its 5 percent off makes grocery shopping cheaper, easier and a heck of a lot closer.

• If you are going to compare AAFES and the commissary you have to remember several things. 1 AAFES pays their employees by the hour and they are not GS employees. 2 AFFES does not charge tax on your purchase 3 you do not have to tip the bagger at AAFES. When you figure in the tax that the commissary charges, the bag tip and the fact that they are GS employees it is easier to see that AAFES would benefit the service members more. We currently shop at H.E.B. and Wal-Mart right now because neither charge tax or have you tip the bagger. So if you are going to compare prices be sure to compare the prices after tax and bagging fees are included then look to see who is more expensive.

25. Chaplain Arnie | February 26, 2013 at 9:40 pm |

Allen West could have gone a lot further in his naming communists. The democrat party has gone so deep into communism that they are eye to eye with the Stalinists and Lenonists. All we can do is pray for them.

26. When We are 18th in the world of nations you can thank our government dems and republicans. they all suck. I WOULD NOT RISK my life again for these jerks let them practice the art of surrender. I just found out the simple weed killer the military used on base contained the dioxins that made some of us sick. I was called agent white.

27. Well folks. Mid term elections November 2014. You PCS, TDY and other active duty stateside or overseas, get your absentee ballot request in early. Vote wisely.

28. I'm concerned for the workers, the ones who rely on the paychecks…!!!

29. This is just one more step to the total erosion of military benefits. Go ahead, spend half your life in the military and expect your "promised" retirement and see what actually happens. The government can change the law at any time and there is nothing you (or I) can do about it.

30. the commissery and BX suck……close them down …go to wal-mart………your better off then the base stores………….or are you that stupid……………….

31. sabrinacking | February 27, 2013 at 7:04 am |

I have alot of problems with the journalism in this article, starting with…I highly doubt the majority of the commissary work force is making 50k a year. My sneaky suspicion from the way the math was done (take home 500-600 a week) was that they are stating the cost of the employee to the organization, not the actual pay the employee recieves. Otherwise you are presuming a 50% deduction rate…slightly over actually, and that is ludicrous for someone at even a 50k payscale, even with no dependents and claiming 0, at 50k a year there is no way, you the employee are paying out 50% of your gross to deductions.
    Now, my presumption is we are confusing apples to oranges here…and the 50k is the cost to the employer of the employee. This makes infinitely more sense, since typically employees cost an employer almost 30% more than their actual pay. These items are incurred to the employer via insurance costs, traning costs, administration costs et all.

• sabrinacking | February 27, 2013 at 7:04 am |

I did learn something new in the full article at Military.com that blew my mind…cashier is a GS job? Wowsa.
      All deciphering aside…I'd like to know what percentage of commissary employees are active duty dependents. Many of the enlisted wives who work do so to avoid being on food subsidies with a lower ranking husband.
      Short of that…as far as grocery shopping goes…if you can not shop in the other days of the week you have more serious issues than the commissary being closed one day…and NO ONE should be living with only one week of food in their house at any given time anyhow…thats very poor disaster preparedness.

32. My Commissaries are open 7 days a week now, so taking Wednesday out is no big deal. When we were stationed somewhere where it was closed on Monday, that was a pretty big inconvenience. If it were closed on Wednesday, too, that would be hugely inconvenient. On the other hand, I went to the Commissary on Monday this week and came back with much fewer things that I expected because the prices weren't even competitive much less worth the trip.

• Alot of commissarys are still closed on Mondays except for very large military populated areas so 2 days a week is not good.

33. No big deal except for the people employeed there. Many will not appreciate the loss of wages.

34. dont care everything cost less of base anyway

35. That's the wrong question.
    The right question is, why would sequesture cause the one day closure?
    There are many other places to cut. But based on the responses so far, maybe this is the right one.

36. daniel toro vasquez | February 27, 2013 at 10:24 am |

me da lo mismo lo mas importante son los servicios de salud si se eliminan las comisarias y se mejoran los servicios de salud estoy de acuerdo 100%

37. I use to shop on Wednesday during the day after I dropped the kids in school but now we shop on Sunday afternoons. The mid week closing will not impact me but the sequester will since we will have less money to work with and we are already on a barebones budget right now.

38. Why are we cutting services that our troops (both active and retired) should be able to expect? Why are we cutting workdays; ergo, salaries of the little people when congress keeps getting pay raises? Why are we still giving grants to communities for programs they should be funding themselves? Why are we still building incredibly expensive equipment that we will probably never use? Why are we engaging in GSA contracts paying incredibly high prices for stuff we can get at 1/3 the cost downtown? Why aren't we cutting costs from the top down instead of from the bottom up? Why is Congress so occupied with passing dozens of bills to rename post offices, etc., instead of tending to the real business at hand (I know….I get the daily congressional record!) What are we really paying them to do?

39. Why not shut Congress down they are the ones SCrewing up this country????????????

40. You just learn to plan.
    When we were in Alaska the commissary was open 5 days a week.
    There was nothing else to replace it. We just learned to plan

41. If they have to do it, Wednesday is the right day. And the Post office should do this too (not deliver mail), NOT on Saturday but on Wednesday.

I'm retired and I live too far away from a commissary to use it regularly, but I cherished those times on active duty and in the reserves when I was able to use it. We did exactly what the first commissary manager I knew told us to do–buy the specials out in town, and the regular stuff at the commissary. It is still an important benefit for military families, and this should not be used as a wedge issue to spark wholesale closure of commissaries.

42. Don’t care. In 18 years of active duty I think I’ve shopped there 10 times. I hate the rude people and empty shelves in there around payday, I hate the surcharges and I hate the fact that they shove that “baggers work for tips” BS down your throat. I literally have to step between the bagger and my groceries just to take them to my car my self. It’s like an episode of American Gladiators!

• Do not know where you have been but I have never seen the empty shelves other than a Thanksgiving issue of inadequate stock of cranberries. And the baggers where I shop are very polite. I frequently take my groceries out if I have less than necessary for assistance. Try the commissary again and you will find a great attitude and good value and might save a buck. And think of the families who depend on this service who need it.

43. Theresa Wertz | February 27, 2013 at 6:30 pm |

It's not that I don't care. I don't shop there because I live too far away.

44. Yes I think this is wrong an I don't support this liberal adminstration treat our military like Rambo, when there is a war or some foreign gov't we shouldn't even be dealing with then we're great, now forget the military an there concerns, I don't believe in half the misinformation thats coming out of Washington, but its so wrong in so many ways, NO to privatizing the exchange or commissary because once Walmart or others get there hands on it then prices will surely be dictated to us all, yes prices on some items or higher but we should be able to do price comparision to compete an that does seem to be lacking in the new commissary's an exchanges, Here's an idea, employ the unemployed Vet to work an run the Exchanges an Commissary's, because there are not jobs like this adminstration says out here for Vets.

45. I'd like to see them close all the Commisaries and Base Exchanges and pay us 20% of what they tell me I'm saving. I know I can purchase every item they sell cheaper, either off base or online.

• At this present time it may be that some store can sell cheaper than the commissary for a short period of time. However, all of the studies that are made show that there is a consistence saving in the commissary. Many bases are a long ways away from some major shopping center and have commissaries. That would not be possible if the program was not large enough to have purchase power. It is not allays just what is for you it is what is for all!

46. I consider the price on the meats are great, not to forget how much u can save on milk. If you have young kids the gallon of milk is gone quick. That's where most of the groceries budget goes on. And now they began with the electronic coupon you load on the card. I save alot at my commissary.

47. If they are going to do this why not do it on Tuesday so the workers can have three day weekends vice come to work for one day then off the next? If I worked there and was being let go one more day of the week might as well be concecutive so I could enjoy it. I can see why not to choose Saturday as for some shoppers that's the only time off from work to shop.

48. NOTE that this president is going to furlough US workers in the base commissaries in the USA, but he is not going to furlough foreign workers in commissary outside the US. He only wants to screw the US workers ! How did we end up with this kind of leadership?

49. Who is the dumb guy that picked Wednesdays as the day to close, stupid if you ask me. When I have gone on a Wednesday is when I noticed that majority of people in it are senior types. As I read in the other comments this could come about three days in a row that the commissaries could be closed. Best get whoever picked Wednesday to run for Congress, that's where he/she belongs.

50. Obviously a punitave move done deliberately by those who despise our nation. The stealth traitors. The same ones who are releasing the jailed illegal immigrants across our border states.

51. Valerie Mullikin | February 27, 2013 at 8:55 pm |
  52. Come on people. One day is the sacrifice that we have to make and there are so many complaints. The commissaries before the tactical units! It is absurd to complain about this!!

53. I didn't know the commissaries were suupported by taxes. Thought theywere supported by orher means. Glad to see them cut spending just as we all have to do.

54. Albert Mudge | February 27, 2013 at 9:17 pm |

Well Asteve let me tell you let's all hope that AAFES dose not take over the Commissary. Just compare the price of like items in both Stores. As far as Wal-Mart there price's here in AZ is a lot higher . If you have a problem then report it to the IG and request the Post Commander get involved . Unless you are just blowing steam. Or got a personnel problem with the Military Then Get Out while You Can Get A Civilian Job Before You Are To Old.The young Military Need These Stores.

55. The Commissary at Robins AFB, GA. is a joke. 99.9 percent of the prices are higher than the local grocery stores. The Sales Tax saved is eaten up by the Commissary surcharge and bagger tips. The most foolish thing the Commissary people tell you is they sell the item at cost plus 5 percent. What a laugh. How can an item that sells for let's just say $.79 cents downtown sell at what they say is cost, for $.89 at the Commissary. If they sell at cost plus 5%, then they seller is ripping the Commissary off. Maybe we need new buyers for the Commissary. But wait, they are selling to the Government. Isn't that the way it is supposed to be. Get all you can from the Government. S—- the people.

• Prove it. You are telling me your meat, milk and bread costs are cheaper downtown then at the Commissary? I do not believe you. Which store downtown? Walmart? All Commissary items are almost the same price. Have you ever gone the the DECA website to see the prices? I doubt it.

• I agree with Jim. You are nuts. The Publix is more than 20% higher. Our families on post need to have a convenient tacitly in any event. Get off the me culture and think about your neighbor.

56. I'm slowly weaning myself from the commissary. The one I shop at has a tendency to stop carrying the items I use or they are out of what I need. Less aggravating to just shop off-base.

57. The survey questions are a bit naive. Being retired, we can plan around the Wednesday closing; I fear some of the young troops might not have that flexibility. Incidentally, in Hawaii, we save about 30% by shopping at the Commissary–and the selections are much more international. We buy at the local supermarket, at the Farmer's Markets, at dockside, and at the commissary–pretty good selection! Please keep AAFES, and the Commissary.

58. I never fell in love with commissaries. When I was a young single servicemember overseas I was not allowed to use the commissary because I had no dependents and had a meal card for the base dining hall so I never thought commissaries were a big deal even after I got married. Base commanders used to do those sort of things back in the day. The single guys were treated like crap from getting all the nasty details to giving promotions to married guys.

• Melanie Bush | March 3, 2013 at 8:12 am |

You obviously were not part of the military or did not understand the military system because anyone with a valid military ID, valid dependent ID, or a valid caretaker ID and letter can shop at the commissary. I still see military IDs that were issued with actual pictures on them.

59. This is a little looney…what do you think the Commisary 4% surcharge is for? It is to cover the Commissary overhead i.e. employee salaries, etc. The Obama Administration scare tactics only works for the misinformed as the surcharge makes the Commissary sustaining. Further, the Sequestration affect only "GROWTH" of expenditures. For example if 2012 expenditures were $1, then it restricts expenditures to o/a $.98. Good Grief, can't we as nation reduce our spending by 2% after spending $16T ($16,000,000,000,000)? The same is for other Government programs…it is not a cut in real $$$s, but a cut in the "growth" of spending. BTW, the Commissary collective prices are at least 33% than most grocery stores. Don't be fooled!

60. William R. Curd | February 27, 2013 at 10:27 pm |

Five days still will remain for shopping should Wednesday be shuttered. I hope no employees are affected by this closure. It will not have any affect on my family.

• Every hourly is affected by this closure. At my commissary we are all supposed to lose a 1/4 of our hours.

61. I'll say close the commissary for good instead of letting these politicians use it for their own political games at the cost of all Americans. The truth is the commissary is self-sustaining and requires no budgeting and yet the scare tactics and FUD from the WH make it sound like it does. CLOSE IF FOR GOOD!

62. The closing of the Commissary is temporary until The Federal Budget is worked out. Both side need to compromise. I am an independent thinker and realize that the right wing and left wing, both equal in strength are not willing to budge. This is a stalemate that is not good for any of us. Whichever side you may be on, perhaps you should spend some open-mindedness time looking at the problems of the other side. Until all of the citizens learn to compromise there is going to be more trouble. Please do not blame the President all that he can do is sign or not sign the bills that the House of Representatives presents to the Senate and the Senate approve. Remember throughout history of the United State the rule has been "The President Proposes but Congress Disposes"

63. thats fine,we only go to commissary once a week.

64. All business are in for a profit, no matter how small. If they close one day, that is less profits. Unless somebody pays for the difference. If that is the case, be TRANSPARENT and say so. Is it a lossing or a brake-even or a profitable business ? Seems to me like a self inflicted wound.

65. It’s a 100 mile roundtrip to “my commisary”. With todays gas prices, do you really think I will save by shopping at the commissary?

66. Dewayne Burgess | February 28, 2013 at 12:30 am |

Folks: This is a political hoax just like all the other previous "government shut downs". By law, the president can choose what is impacted by this 2.5% but in spending increases. Have you noticed that no one is whining about cuts in spending on unemployment benefits, bank bail outs, union pension bail outs or subsidies for green energy scams? That's because there aren't any cuts to those democrat voting blocks and campaign funders.

67. Ron Illingworth | February 28, 2013 at 12:46 am |
  68. m.j.connally | February 28, 2013 at 1:09 am |

the thing wrong with closing commisseries is that it is just another little chip off our already reduced benefits.

69. Will not affect me in the least. Do the same with the rest – MWR, BX, and Library. DODS Schools overseasa – send the kids off base (gasp) to German school.

70. Take notice they made sure to give them raises and more benefits to include medical before all this cut backs.

• They did? They didn't give them to me. You realize that the commissary has regular insurance, right? Basically, you have no idea what you are talking about.

71. Karl Paulsen | February 28, 2013 at 7:33 am |

Customers will adapt for the short term. If the closure were implemented permanently, then other days would likely be busier, probably Thurs or Fri, since customers who shop on Wed are likely retirees.

72. Commissaries should stay open for all overseas areas. That gives our troops a taste of home away from home. Stateside commisaries could be closed for the extra day. I shop the commissary once a month and drive 38 miles one way. The rest of the time I shop wal-mart and find that the majority of prices are equal to or even less than the commissary. A lot of small commissies that are within 50 miles of a large commissary should be closed to save the government money. If the government is really serious about saving money..They should talk to wal-mart and the other food chains about giving the 30% savings to all military shoppers. Just show military ID card and casher pushes 30% discount button. Then they could close all stateside commissires and save really big.

73. The commissary has such short hours now compared to other groceries. Seems like they shouldn’t need to close more.

74. For the people that live on base or very close to a base, the convenance of the commissary would benefit htem. For the reast of us, going to the nearest food store is more practicale with gas prices so high. As for the Exchanges, yes they have high quality stuff but that also carries a higher price tag. Sometimes if you just shop around, even paying taxes, you can get a better deal at a nearby department store and have a warrenty. I used to buy my appliances at Sears because there was a Sears everywhere I got stationed. Most of the Exchanges did not carry what I was wanting or looking for or if they did have it I could get it at a lower price so I did not go there except for uniform items or a snack when I had duty. Now if I go to a DOD Exchange….forget finding anything Coast Guard….it seems we are the bastard child of the military (DOD) Exchanges. Yes, you will find more Air Force stuff at a air force base exchange but even at the VA store here at he VA Hospital Coast Guard stuff is very rarely found. But you can find just about anything from the other services. So…..in my opinion one day will not matter much to me or my family.

75. By the time you add the surcharge, bagger tip and the 1-2% mark up for dry goods it is often cheaper to shop the local stores unless you live in a high cost of living area. Many of the stores need to close permanently rather than just one day a week.

76. I am wondering who answered the actual poll? I could not figure out how to vote on it? However I seldom use the commissary or BX due to distance (Retired) from base. I've seen numerous posts concerning this and agree and disagree with a number of them. 1) Fuzzy math=who is making the 50,000 a year and what percentage? 2) Yes another erosion of benifites, taking little by little…3) How many actual (%) of vertarans (Family members should count) actally work at either of these places. Yes they serve the Military, but do they really in percentages? Show me the numbers. Then I'll vote on how exactly it is hurting the actual military vs. civilian percentage making a living off those who actually serve or those who have ever served.

• Hey Dan — Like the post says, the poll is to the right of the screen in the right hand column. Please vote!

77. The commissary will then have more pressure on them the other 5 days . Getting the shelves stocked overnight will be problem. Why not add another 1% to the surcharge? ON most items the commissary is still significantly cheaper that off base. Wal Mart can match some prices but only on their house brand.

78. We will just shop on a different day, one day a aweek wont be tha bad. Besides they don't have any great sales and the gas prices on base are as high if not higher then off base. Maybe they will get more competive.

79. JERSEY ANGEL 1 | February 28, 2013 at 11:37 am |

What gets me is that way back when they told us the commissary was self-supporting….this is why we pay a surcharge to use the commissary. Years since that time something changed. What, I don't know. I can manage to work around the Wednesday closure, but it might be an inconvenience at some point along the way.

• Surcharge isn't for the salaries of the employees. It amazes me how little people know about what goes on around them.

80. Whatever! This is all bogus anyway! Sequestration should have NO effect on commissaries or DOD civilian employees. The sequestration is a 2% cut of the INCREASE in funding the DOD is due to get. In other words, the DOD will get the same that they had this last year to run the military services PLUS 98% of the increase they asked for. This is just extrememely poor "leadership" by our civilian and military leaders up top. They are forcing their "leadership" directives to do damage that will be noticed…political. Why aren't people asking these leaders the tough questions about all of this?

• Tell that to the people who are losing a quarter of their paycheck until September. Yeah, it really has no affect on them, right?

• This "losing a quarter of their paycheck until September" affects me and my household also. You are missing the point…it's happening, BUT it doesn't have to happen. So instead of being upset with me, you really need to be upset at those in leadership perpetratrating the damage.

81. Complete nonsense…This so called cutback is only about 2.5% of the increase in spending. On top of that it is not 85 billion but about 41 billion. Telling everyone the sky is falling is a complete hoax on the public. We who are associated with the military should have more common sense and not be sucked in with the wild rumors being circulated.

82. I live 100 miles away so it will not affect me personally but, for a new airman on base with no transportation the extras on base are essential to him or her. Stop closing things unless there is a greater benefit for our sevice men and women.

83. Reality Check | February 28, 2013 at 1:55 pm |

Really? That's what we're worried about? Closing on-base shopping for one day? Get real. Over the next two years, you will see a Reduction In Force that will dwarf everything that has happened in the past. It has nothing to do with Sequestration. It has to do with cutting down the military force structure and planned manpower reductions desired by the Executive Branch. Lost jobs and your future unemployment ability is what you should be worried about… not closing Commissaries for one day. Wake up.

84. L Nall ATC(AW) USN | February 28, 2013 at 4:02 pm |

It would be better to close the exchanges in all but OCONUS and bases near small towns. The exchange prices are not lower than the local civilian market. The selection is poor and now I can't even save on Sundries and the like. The commissary however, offers real savings against the local markets on (in my opinion and my purchases) about 60 to 75% of the items I'm interested in. The exchange offers almost no items at at a savings even including the fact of no sales tax. If the sole purpose of the exchange system is to generate profit for MWR, then let them streamline processes, reduce overhead (specifically reduce the number and salary of paid executives) in order to lower prices and make the exchange system worthwhile. Most importantly, leave the commissaries alone!!!!!!!!

85. Ruth Ellen Hill | February 28, 2013 at 7:26 pm |

I just think that any cut on anything that pertains to the Military benefits really rubs me the wrong way, cut their salaries in Washington and leave the benefits for our military and military families alone. My husband was a 24 year + Air Force Veteran and there were times our money was sooo tight even with our PX, commissaries that we would not have made it without them. We love our Military and support them, we love AMERICA!!!

86. When I was a Soldier during the 1980s, the commissary was closed on Mondays. We accommodated.

87. We make a bi-monthly 50 mile trip to our commissary and it is usually on Wednesday, our only free day to go. The commissary system has always been self sustaining and this looks like another "The sky is falling" scare tactic by the current administration. The commissary at Portsmouth Naval Shipyard is small in area and we don't have to walk 1/2 mile to get milk like at Wal-Mart. Us retirees like that!

88. Closing the commissary one day a week will not have any impact on our family. We'll simply plan around it. Personally, I think this is political posturing. Why else would the decision be made to close them on Wednesdays instead of Sundays? Why hasn't AFEES mentioned closing the PXs/BXs as well? If the government wants to save money then reduce Medicare and Medicaid fraud and set limits on unearned entitlements like food stamps and day care. If you can't afford to raise children on your own resources, then don't have them.

89. Former Navy Vet. In visiting a family member at Ft Sill last year, I went to the commissary to compare prices. I was amazed at how high their prices were. In some cases 40% higher than Wal-Mart, SAMs Club, or Cosco. Why is it always our Military who take it in the neck?

• Melanie Bush | March 2, 2013 at 8:17 pm |

There is nothing in the commissary that is 40% higher than Walmart. I am a cashier at the commissary and I shop at Walmart. I know this to be a fact.

• You must have been in Publix not the commissary. You are way off!

90. The day I was at Ft, Sill, I wrote the prices down on a small note paid. When I got home I used my laptop to campare with the local Wal-Mart, Sam's, and Cosco. Trust me they were higher, not all at 40%, but some. My intent was not to slam the commissary nor the military

91. yeah im a contract stocker for different brokers and overall way gas is going up i'm surprise shoppers are going to go to walmart on the closing days and probably get use to it but nobody cant touch the prices in a commissary especially on meats so people will go shopping at 2 grocery stores 1 for meat and buy half of what walmart got on sale if u call it that compared to commissary prices but far as i hear every employee and me will get affected if it happens me and other employees count every cent especially these day and live month by month for everyday we work for so i have consideration of myself, employees and patrons who shop especially its one of the slowest day in our commissary but its easier for people to shop on the dead days especially for the senior citizens and retirees

92. This is something that can be planned around. Although it's cheaper for me to shop at the commissary (I just did an "experiment" and found that even with double coupons up to $2.00, the items, with the same coupon not doubled, were still cheaper at the commissary than at the regular grocery store). I don't know how our family of five on 2nd class pay would be able to make it if we didn't have the commissary. Understanding that there is a surcharge, but my groceries are still cheaper at the commissary, even adding in those factors. I realize some commissaries are already closed on Mondays, then with a holiday situation there could be a three day closure…but it's still not difficult to plan around it. I'm grateful that they are not completely being taken away!

93. President Obama proposed the sequester 18 months ago and he signed it into law 3 days ago. What are we going to do now. 800,000 Government employees will be furloughed, policemen, teachers, firefighters will be laid off, janitors will lost theii job, parks will be closed. Etc. President Obama could stop it. He want the American people to starves…?
    Stop over spending… We have 16.5 trillion dollars debt and climbing…

94. George Henderson | March 3, 2013 at 8:43 pm |

None of these responses make sense. The real impact will be on the commissary employees who will be giving up 20% of their pay checks every payday. This is totally unnesessary given that the House and Senate could easily stop all of this nonsense by simply doing their jobs. Let's all propose they give up 20% of their pay and benefits and see how fast they fix the budget problems…in a New York Minute!

95. Glenn Robinson | March 4, 2013 at 7:50 am |

Military stores have always strived to get the best deals for it's Military and civil service members; depending on where you live the closures may start to tell a larger story; if military stores keep losing out on prices for items, in time they may close permanently, because they can no longer remain competative with the community stores. Now depending on where you live, this will cause a major strain on military/civil services folk who depend on the stores for thier needs. I think the closures would have to be looked at very carefully if you used the commissary/AFFEES stores where you lived.

96. I have no problem doing my part to reduce the budget. However, around 1970 & 1971, inflation was somewhere around 15 – 18% and there was a military pay freeze for 2 years. The first year I felt, OK, I will do my part. After a year of seeing unions go on strike because they were only being offered 15% – 17% raises, yes, strike because of huge, but not huge enough raises, I was a bit more than angry the 2nd year. I was & had done more than enough being in the military & having gone thru Vietnam as Marine infantry. I will always do my share, and as long as there are other serious 'give ups' by other groups, I don't object. R Willis, USMC (Ret)

• Unions have served many good purposes and for the very occasional time they over reach think about the very many continuing abuses by the oligarcs who just never have enough and do not ever pay their fair share. The lower taxes they get in order to stimulate the economy just seem to stimulate Taiwans economy which is where they buy their huge pleasure cruisers. But what does tht have to do with the commissaries that provide substantial assistance to our military families overseas. I also fought in RVN and did so to keep the Nation what it is. I am an Army family member and I support my family even in retirement. I am sorry the marines are too "me" based to do the same. I am glad this does not affect you. I am sorry You just think about yourself. Read some of the comments about the people it does affect. And think about the issues of the 2d amendment where the NRA has stopped all legislation to get rid of automatic weapons on the streets for fear it would allow Obama to take away all guns. Something pretty far fetched but the analogy is clear. Open the door to closures and the grocery oligarcs will yet buy another big hand j___ overseas.

97. asteve is a troll everyone, dont fall for it

98. Retired Army | March 5, 2013 at 8:01 am |

It wasn't Congress that caused this, this was Obama's idea. Now he wants it to hurt as many people as possible so people will agree with him that he needs more taxes. God forbid he take a pay cut or cut back om Michelle's trips to his fake birth place (Hawaii).

99. I'm not really worried about them closing stateside. I used to have to drive 20 minutes into town to do my grocery shopping anyway before the Army. I can live without it in the States. Now, overseas, it's harder to live without. Unlike some people I will eventually get out and try to shop on the economy wherever I am at to try the local foods and see what there is to see. But I couldn't do without some of my American staples. Did you know how hard it is to find a dill pickle in Korea? It's almost impossible. And forget about brewing coffee, the only stuff you get is instant, unless you shop at the commissary. We are now in Germany and I am so glad that we have one since this post is literally out in the boonies of Europe. At least in the States you can go to a place like Kroger, Meijer, Piggly Wiggly, or Wal-Mart to get groceries, and another plus is that I don't have to tip a bagger. I hate going shopping to realize that I didn't grab some ones out of the jar while in line with a full cart.

100. It's a matter of planning, the majority of the time we shop at Harris Teeter of Food Lion.

101. I'm amazed that people are upset about commissaries being closed on wednesday. All you have to do is change your shopping day. Hopefully it will only be for six months.

102. Need to stay open | March 13, 2013 at 4:24 am |

We are overseas in Italy. Not only do we rely on the commisary we are dependent on it.

103. I am retired and shop there 5 times a week, i catch a lot of sales and enjoy the lower prices on Meats. Those of you that think we don't deserve the lower prices probably never served your country and I say to you Go Pound Sand (asteve).

104. Honestly-the commissary isn't what it used to be. The sales prices aren't marked correctly when you reach the register, conflicting prices and sales. You'd probably save more money over time if you shopped Costco and other local stores, really the only break you're getting is a tax-break, but ask yourself is it really worth-it?

105. Let's take a few minutes to repair the brakes. Many owners of vehicles for brake repair as a sign that the car starts to disintegrate. Not so! It's a lazy engine a sign that your car has seen better days? Of course not. If the engine of your car goes wrong, you take your car in a fit, if you soon start to tire, replace them. The same applies to the repair of the brakes. brake repair is not the beginning of the end, it's just a sign that your brakes are doing their job and need a tune of theirs.

106. This is just another benefit we would lose. The sad part is we can't stop the government, and every time they need to cut something it is usually a benefit and they use the lame excuse of taking away funds from the defense if it doesn't happen.

Also, you can't compare commissary food or especially meat to Wal Mart. Wal Mart has disgusting meat.

107. Why are all these comments dated 38 weeks ago. Was this a problem last January?

108. retired airman | November 26, 2013 at 7:45 am |

athe baggers work for tips only that you dont have to tip usually its lowergrade service dependants who are just barely getting by as it is port more hardships on them thanks mr golf club obama

109. Robert Sublettt | November 26, 2013 at 10:18 am |

I am a retired vetran and this is one of the ldoumbiest idea I have ever heard. Commissaries are in place to help the service members and theier families, we are already underpaid and out side the the prices are outragious To think this could save 600-800 million a year is apauling. Try looking at a place like Ft Campbell NCOA academy in 2010-2011 they spend 1.2 millions on on WW2 "60 year old building" barracks remodeling and a year later the floors are buckeling, and oh by the way now to get it fixed it will cost extra. What happen to warranty work there is where they can start to do cut and save. Leave the Damn Commissaries alone. I remember stationed in Arkansas in a remote area, No commissary had to buy everything on the economy and you guessed it no additional cost allowance "0" to help with all the high priced local purchased, and the closest military installation was 180 miles away. "Leave this alone". Any one reading this sound off to these great idea "Nuts".

110. Retiree SPEAK UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We depend on the commissary. Our families served…and ARE STILL SERVING THIS COUNTRY. …..even tho we are not active duty……we ARE ALWAYS ON DUTY. Not only did our family member serve in uniform but the wives and children fought to keep the house fires burning , encouragment, and love so our service member could have something and someone to come back to. THE WHOLE FAMILY SERVED AND EANED THE RIGHTS THAT THE PEOPLE IN HIGH PLACES WANT TO TAKE AWAY. We all paid for the privileges with our swet, blood and tears.Cut some of the privileges that the governmental bodies enjoy. Is anyone listening out there?

111. As a Viet Nam vet. I resen closing the commissary. Our elected officials always find ways to cut the men & women of our military who are sent all over the globe and when they need help our government disregards their cry for help. REMEMBER BENGHAZI. REMEMBER these men & wowen are being deployed to these hell holes four to five times. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.
    Cut the fat in WASHINGTON. They are raping the AMERICAN PEOPLE.

112. Melanie Bush | February 27, 2013 at 2:49 pm |

I'll admit, it is really good for retail, but it is nowhere near $50,000.

113. Nurses don't wipe butts, nurses aids/assistants do! You must not be an RN, if you lower down in the pay scale than $50,000. I know several nurses that worked all over the country and made more than $50,000…

114. I agree to the can't support everything seniors want only what they need point!!! My husbands Grandfather had 3 wheel chairs, several walkers, 20 hearing aids, etc… his Grandmother recently bought a $15,000 hearing aid, because she could… she doesn't even use it!!! They are wasting money on our dime!!! I think they should be required to turn in the stuff they are not using anymore, so it can be refurbished and used again by some one that will. And here is the kicker, I don't think they would have spent this tax money if they weren't pushed by their baby booming kids to do so! I know I am off point, but realistically… there really is money that can be saved in the medicare part of this budget. How about stop spoiling seniors with gadgets and medical toys they already have multiples of???

115. Diane, thank you. This is what I keep pointing out to people. If I lose 20% of my paycheck, THAT IS MY MORTGAGE PAYMENT. No amount of cutting coupons, giving up a manicure, or switching to generic toilet paper is going to somehow make up for $700/month suddenly GONE.

I admit, I don't have a dog in this fight, since I'm 200+ miles away from the nearest commissary. Maybe I would shop at one if there were one closer. While I empathize with the frustration of having a commissary change its hours, I think there are FAR more pressing issues.

116. Melanie Bush | March 4, 2013 at 12:31 am |

Ok, so she is inspects the commissary. I assure you she is not inspecting other places. Personally, I have worked at both the commissary and at other places. Believe me, the commissary is by far cleaner and nicer than any other grocery store I have worked at. Even some that are much higher brand than HEB which I can only imagine.

117. First, this is the first step to closing permanently. Look at the gun lobby going crazy about taking away automatic weapons for fear of losing the right to bear arms. second, it does affect those who are overseas and those who work there. We have a system that necessitates an infrastructure for the employees that is fair. 20% reduction in wages is unfair in any job! Think about it and how that would affect your family. The commissary workers have done nothing wrong. The Congress has yet they do not give up wages. The oligarcs are not fixing up any tax bennies, at least those who do pay taxes are not giving up nay of their largess from the American workers.