Commissaries Now to Shutter Mondays

bagger-commissary

Furlough related commissary closures will happen weekly on Mondays instead of Wednesdays, starting as soon as April 21, according to a memo obtained by SpouseBuzz and Military.com.

The closure change is the result of an agreement between the Defense Commissary Agency (DeCA) and the union, American Federation of Government Employees Council 172, which represents the federal employees at the commissary.

If the commissary is already closed Mondays, which many are, it will instead remain closed on the next regularly scheduled open day, according to the agreement. For example, if the commissary is regularly closed Mondays but open the rest of the week, it will take each Tuesday as a furlough day.

DeCA had announced late last month that it would shut its doors on Wednesdays as a way of complying with the Pentagon’s plan to furlough employees through September as a result of sequestration budget cuts.

“While we still hope sequestration will be avoided, we must, nevertheless, be prepared and plan accordingly,” DeCA Director, Joseph Jeu wrote in the memo announcing that plan. “Consequently, after much deliberation, analysis and consideration, we developed several actions that will reduce spending to the level mandated by Congress, should sequestration happen.”

Originally the closures were supposed to kick-in the week of March 31. But the Defense Department announced last week that they are delaying all furloughs, including those of commissary employees, until at least late April.

Amy is the editor in chief of Military.com’s spouse and family blog SpouseBuzz.com. A journalist by trade, Amy also covers spouse and family news for Military.com where she is the managing editor of spouse and family content. An Army wife and mother of two, Amy has been featured as a subject matter expert on CNN.com, NPR, Fox News, NBC, CBS, ABC and BBC as well as in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal and Washington Post. Follow her on twitter @amybushatz.

51 Comments on "Commissaries Now to Shutter Mondays"

1. I really don't have a problem with this. Where we are currently the commissary is closed on Monday already, so I guess it will then be closed on Tuesdays as well. While I do save considerably shopping at the Commissary (for a large trip), I have no problem going to Publix for basics if I need to. We will be moving to Fort Irwin, CA in the summer where the commissary is the closest grocery for 30+ miles. We are no strangers to Irwin having been stationed there 11 non-consecutive years, so I know it is open 7 days a week as of now. But, it wasn't always that way. We dealt with it then and will again. There is a 24 hour shoppette there to purchase things to include infant items, milk, bread etc. It's not the end of the world here and it's something we can all live with.

2. alison francis | March 26, 2013 at 2:10 pm |

i do have a problem with this,bidens trip and hotel cost millions and i wonder how much malia and sachas trip for spring costs ,please this is him trying to hurt the american people,and there is no need for it sell all the buildings sitting empty all over the country,

3. purpleheartpark | March 26, 2013 at 4:11 pm |

Actually they were always closed on Mondays even Overseas until about 15 years ago. Really no big deal…

4. This is a non issue to me. I know some people will feel the pinch more than others (i.e. Hawaii, OCONUS, or those out in the middle of nowhere) but its hard for me to get upset about this when my friends who are federal workers are getting furloughed as well. We've all got to do our part, regardless of the fairness of our politices or how this came to be.

5. But why can't each commissary choose which day to close? We are overseas and have 2 commissaries nearby. Why to they have to close the same day?

6. from what I recall from when I was on active duty, I often found better prices off base, so why not close them on Mondays? It would also allow employees to conduct business of their own, often closed on weekends.

7. Surcharge !!!

8. The Commissary used to be closed on Mondays back in the 1980s. I think it may have been both Sunday and Monday….?

9. leslie bartoszek | March 26, 2013 at 8:25 pm |

Our commissary should only close on Monday's. It's currently open 7 days a week and we have a large retiree population here. I have found that buying name brands at the Commissary here is cheaper than Price Chopper, Dillon's/Kroger, and Wal-Mart's off brands. Use a coupon, save even more!

10. No big deal eh! Do our part, eh! No problem, eh! Then I guess it is not a big deal spending a half million dollars for one night in Paris at the Intercontinental Hotel, eh! Saved a lot of money closing the White House too. Closing a grocery store for two consecutive days – no way. I see wilting produce that will have to be disposed of or sold at a loss. Delivery of all foods will have to be adjusted by every vendor. Store workers will take a cut in pay along with our faithful baggers. Can you imagine what would happen if a civilian grocery store closed for two days – they would not survive.

11. Can someone tell me from what pot of money the commissary employees are paid from? If they are paid from the revenues generated by the sales in the commissary, it would seem counter-productive to close even more than they already are because it will just drive their customers to shop elsewhere. Then those former customers would find out that in a lot of cases, there are equally good prices at Wal-Mart and Aldi on the same products that the commissary sells. And — Wal-Mart is open 24×7.

12. Ft Riley spouse | March 26, 2013 at 9:33 pm |

Wal-Mart and other nearby grocers will love their increase in sales. And the gov't will love its increased tax revenue.

13. If our presidents family would stay home and not on an ever other month vaction costing $300,00 plus and our Vice President would not stop in France luxcury for 830,000 over night would be a good place to start in spending cuts/

14. It’s to bad for a lot of retires for the closers

15. I don't have a problem with the extra day of closure. Most Americans are willing to sacrifice some. All but the president and his spouse. The VP is pretty good at spending the taxpayer money as shown by his last trip. The president, senate and mouse should show a little leadership and cut back on their spending.

16. pedro santiago | March 27, 2013 at 7:05 am |

I believe that Monday's closure would be the best solution. Pete santiago.

17. John Murray | March 27, 2013 at 7:27 am |

Our commissary is normally closed on Monday. I wonder how many others are as well.

18. Daniel L. Almaguer | March 27, 2013 at 8:00 am |

Okay people, we need to look at the bigger picture. So why are they closing the Commissary or even touching these areas? I thought they paid for themselves through profits generated from sales? What is the gain from closing these areas? So now we cause even more losses due to closures. Do you realize how much Wal*Mart would lose in profits due to closure? Billions! This does not make sense. These people don’t make much but they work hard to keep us happy when we do get around to doing our weekly or monthly shopping. So I go back to my first question, why are they closing the Commissary or even touching these areas? That’s what we should be asking or questioning. Forget about which or how many Commissaries are closed on Monday. Why are they closing the Commissary or even touching these areas?

19. Retired USAF | March 27, 2013 at 9:21 am |

In locations like the Norfolk area of Virginia, why not close one of the many local commissaries permanently and leave the others alone. Closing all of them on the same day(s) certainly is not a good thing for patrons. Same thing could be applied to the Washington area. Any area with more then one commissary could easily stagger thier closing day(s) so that at least one store would be open each day. A little common sense would be appreciated by all of us. I think we all realize we must do our share, but we should minimize the problem as much as possible!

20. Recently the vice president rented 100 rooms for one day in both London and Paris. That stunt cost the taxpayers close to a million dollars of taxpayers funds. Explain how closing military commiissiaries for one day will save money as their employees will be paid even if they arent working at the commissiary. Same for the USPS being closed on Saturdays doesn't save a dime if the USPS employees are still earning their salary for that day

21. I live in Germany, my commissary is over 1 hr away and it is alread closed on MON & TUE, does that mean it will be closed on WED also? I just want to know so I can plan accordingly. I really don;t want to drive over an hour to go to the commissary and find out it is closed. Otherwise we can deal with it here in Germany

22. How STUPID is this? Furlough an organization making money? What is Hussain going to do next?

23. Lowell Miller | March 27, 2013 at 10:32 am |

I'm retired. Live 60 miles from the nearest commissary. We use to make a monthly trip to stock up. Now with the price of gas etc kinda cuts into savings i.e. $24 in gas. If I were close I would buy there all the time. When I'm on vacation and travelling around the country and am close to exchanges I buy in order to support the Welfare and Rec fund. For those who can, plan ahead. I keep enough food on hand that I could live a couple months without going to the store. You don't have to do this all at once. Buy a couple cans or boxes of this or that each time and rotate the stuff on your shelves. Milk and eggs will last at least a couple of weeks. The only thing I see this could inconvenience some shoppers because of days they can go and the workers who depend on the income. Where my commissary is: Selfridge ANG Base, Michigan always have a lot of shoppers because there are a lot of retirees who travel a long distance. They have been closed every Monday.

24. Just another example of an uneducated administration trying to inconvenience voters for political reasons. The basic economic model of a grocery store has the entire sale inventory turning over at least 6 times annually creating a profit at low mark-ups. Closing the domestic stores will actually cost money.

25. This just means more food waste! Now fresh veggies and meats will be sitting and going bad for 2 days in a row instead of just 1. Many years ago when commissaries were closed on Sunday and Mondays, I would go in to shop late in the afternoon on Saturday, so I could pick up bargains since they would discount the meat, fruit, veggies and bread – it was great savings to my family budget.

26. That's OK by me as the Commissary at Ft. Huachuca is already closed on Mondays and has been for the 11 years we've been down here. But thanks for letting us know.

27. Typical. The profit center is closed. Now lets close congress from their 200,000 income plus,plus, plus.
    Term limits, without benifits is the answer

28. It amazes me that some of these comments are so self-centered. They only care how these closures will or will not affect them personally. They don't see the full ramifications of this entire sequestration fiasco. (Read Webster's definition of sequestration: Seizure of property – a writ authorizing seizure of property.) If that definition doesn't apply then why is this word being used. The present admin. did not get its way and they want to get even and hurt us every way possible. Wait until they start with our military health care benefits and you will really see some justified screaming going on. Our great country is on a downhill spiral.

29. Charles Stauffer | March 27, 2013 at 1:11 pm |

Retired AF in Glendora, CA. My ex and I use to shop at March AFB, CA. Later my new wife and I tried it for a short while and it broke down to this. Vegtables and fruits were grade B to C. We never saw good looking wholesome products. Canned goods aren't tasty or healthy at all. Frozen and other packaged goods were about the same. On the outside, all the big grocery markets employ all union employees and all outside repair services are union too and that drives up the prices on everything. Our other let down is that March AFB, Los Angeles AFB and other military sites in Southern California are at least 100 mile round trips. We prefer to shop at local stores that are non-union, who only handle top of the line veggies, fruits and meats. Our other shopping spots are Costco and Sam's Club. I did my 20 + years and the only real benefits I enjoy are Tri-Care for Life and Dental. As far as we're concerned, the commisaries and BX's are dead.

30. Why not allow DOD Civilian employess access to the Commissaries because of the furloughs? It would help them and the Commisary to make more money and keep the doors open.

31. My commissary in Brevard County has gone downhill for awhile and 2 weeks ago it dropped off the cliff. I've been driving 30 minutes each way to support my commissary for years. No more. They have stripped the shelves of most items I regularly purchase saying they are not "movers". I buy organic, natural foods and health beauty products. They have cut back the variety we have to choose from in almost every category. If the store won't carry what I enjoy buying why shop there?

32. As one writer said, a little here, a little there and soon all the benefits of a military career will be gone. Some time back I remember some DC turd talked about putting the exchanges and com system under a single management. My first thought at the time was that if and when they chose to do away with this benefit ???? there'd only be one agency to deal with. Sooner or later the advantages of a military career will be zip. I anticipate once obamacare hits the street many companies with employer healthcare programs will be dropping those plans in favor of it totally. I suspect TriCare will also be a casualty of this and many using it will find themselves outside looking in. Now if obamacare replaces TriCare there again is a hit in the retirees pocketbook. I also expect medicare to eventually be phased out. Since TFL users have to have Medcare Part B to participate anticipate rates for obamacare to be allowed to increase while cutting service as medicare has been since it's inception. The gov. has not been able to effectively manage medicare so what makes anyone think they cam operate a huge system like obamacare. Folks we're blowing in the wind.
    retafE7

33. Richard H. Lemmon | March 27, 2013 at 10:51 pm |

How can I get you to stop sending me this crap?

34. We are always the first target, even here in our homeland! I wish those a**holes who take our benefits had to go and take our places once in a while. I'll bet their attitude would change pretty quickly.

35. If they HAVE to close one day a week, why not go back to the old ways and close on Sundays? LETS REMEMBER THE SABBATH AND KEEP IT HOLY!!!!

36. I don't think the commisary is cheaper any way. With a 20% fee added onto the bill, even if your not paying taxes the fee is just the same as taxes.

37. No big deal. If it will help our economy. Closing it for 2 days won't be an issue..plan your schedule .

38. USAF Retired 1993 | March 28, 2013 at 9:21 am |

This has always been “his” plan….slowly remove benefits, freedoms and eventually create a third world country where the majority of the population is dependent on the government for survival. "He" doesn't want America to succeed and is executing his plan to systemically destroy our country. There isn't anything fair about what he is doing regarding our country, his track record proves that. This is just one more nail in the proverbial coffin. How so many could be lead astray from what our freedoms are and believe this lying non-American baffle me and they allowed him to do it twice! (continued)

39. They have to do something because he stated it was going to hurt, so, this is to make it hurt rather he needs to do it or not. This is a game he has to play, or he looks like a (kduid^*99) which is and most of the dummycrats are, just to say I told you so now suck it up while I go play golf and take in a basket ball game. Memo to all agency heads= MAKE IT HURT!

40. I don't understand the necessity. Despite the "sky will fall"/"end of the world" eighty-five billion dollar sequester, the federal government has already spent 30 billion dollars MORE during the first five months of this fiscal year than it did in the same period last year.

41. Most of these posts are so self centered the border on ridiculous. Everyone seems to be so concerned about “sucking it up”, “it won’t hurt to stop at Publix”, or “we all need to do our part to help balance the budget”. Do you people even have a clue why the commissaries are closing an additional day, or what the real impacts are? Everyone is concerned on how the extra day of closing will cause them an inconvenience, but nothing more. What about the GS-3 or GS-4 employees who will be taking a 20 percent pay cut because they will have two less days on their paychecks. These folks don’t make a ton of money to begin with, so a 20 percent reduction could have serious consequences. I served in the military for 23 years and understand that the commissary is one of our benefits, but look past yourself for a minute and see what the “real impacts” are of the furlough.

42. Unions got the Obamanation to give them long weekends versus serving the military needs.

43. Don't blame me I did not vote for him!

44. I though commissaries where Non-Appropriated Fund?

45. Just wondering | March 30, 2013 at 6:22 pm |

I thought the surchage we paid went towards operations and salaries. If so, why do they need to close at all?

46. sabrinacking | March 30, 2013 at 10:14 pm |

Full disclosure, we haven't used the commissary regularly in well over10 years. Out of curiosity from these past couple of articles, we just went to the commissary again for our monthly grocery run. I have two freezers, I go once a month and then get produce or milk midway through the month.
    So…my take away was, the same experience I had when we used it before. For me, the only value was in the meat. And I spent $250 in meat and shoved it in the freezer. But we bought only one other item…a 2 pack of Nutella. The produce was all HORRID, next to rotting on the shelves. In fact, all the peppers were moldy and all the apples were brown. Bags of oranges were moldy….we went up and down isles just to see what we have been missing, and I still don't get the allure of the commissary, or the PX for that matter. You can do MUCH better for your food $ shopping store brands elsewhere. But if you insist on buying name brand, over priced, processed crap…the. Guess it could be a cost savings.

47. Ret. USAF Spouse | March 31, 2013 at 12:59 am |

All Commisaries used to close on Mondays it's nothing New…. My issue would be withe the Editor who let this Headline print as is… ' Commisaries to SHUTTER on Monday' .. Should it not read ' Commisaries to Close on Mondays ' !

48. sprdthewrd | April 2, 2013 at 6:59 pm |

This is all a ploy by the Obama Administration to somehow garner positive points. The economy is the problem yet we are being distracted by Gun Control, Immigration and the like. Obama care will further hurt the economy as it already has begun to affect the lives of many.
    And of course" The Blood of Heroes is on the Hands of Obama, Clinton and Panetta…Remember Benghaz1 !!!"

49. marinewife79 | April 3, 2013 at 6:24 pm |

Let me see if I understand this: Our President and Vice President have on more than one occasion have said that the American People need to tighten their belts in order to survive the economic crisis but yet turn around and spend billions of the hard-earned money of those same Americans so they can send their kids on lavish vacations and treat their wives to lavish trips. ENOUGH!! I simply don't care if they are the President and VP and feel entitled to these perks. What I do care about is that under no circumstances should commissaries or any other benefit military families depend on be shut down because the clowns in Washington can't do their jobs.

50. rallypoint6 | April 5, 2013 at 3:37 pm |

Fake Sequester…I will believe it when I see it.