Poll: Are You Afraid of Getting Out?

When it comes to the sequester, you might not care about cuts to shipbuilding and whether or not some Air Force guy you don’t know gets his tuition assistance.

But we all have our twinges about how Sequestration will affect our particular servicemember or us personally.

Maybe we are right to worry.  Cuts to personnel seem to be in the offing everywhere. At a recent conference, General Odierno, the Army’s Chief of Staff, said that the Army was committed to cutting active duty troop strength from 570,000 to 490,000.  Under Sequestration, Odierno thought that up to 200,000 active duty members could be cut.

Navy Adm. William H. McRaven told the Senate Armed Services Committee that the Sequester would even include paring down recruiting efforts for several years for Special Forces.

Cuts are being discussed for just about everyone — from to the number of generals and admirals we have to the early retirement of mid-level and senior enlisted to the size of entering classes at military academies.

So if you do have those worrisome twinges keeping you up at night, what are they?  What is your biggest fear surrounding getting out of the military? Take the poll and check out the results below.

Amy is the editor in chief of Military.com’s spouse and family blog SpouseBuzz.com. A journalist by trade, Amy also covers spouse and family news for Military.com where she is the managing editor of spouse and family content. An Army wife and mother of two, Amy has been featured as a subject matter expert on CNN.com, NPR, Fox News, NBC, CBS, ABC and BBC as well as in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal and Washington Post. Follow her on twitter @amybushatz.

25 Comments on "Poll: Are You Afraid of Getting Out?"

1. They will be told 'you have nothing to offer us in private industry"
    That is their ploy………..'hire a vet, hire experience' only counts if it is the feds hiring
    and then you had better hope it is an open job otherwise they hire from within
    Nobody in private industry cares………..they can think only of hardware……not leadership,
    not timeliness, nothing that makes for a good employee……..

2. Levon Wilson | March 18, 2013 at 5:52 pm |

our only hope is a republican president in 2016, cause even though i am in the reserves i still wish i was active duty. and even though i still rather keep my time going in the reserves. I think the civilian world is just a smoke an fantasy about hiring vets. The civilian world lacks so much the Military has a code of conduct of integrity, values and disciple and a I watch your back you watch mines. And now i see the civilian pay is just a Amusement at times. Even though coming in the military I started off with Lousey Pay but i could move up rapid with any course of action weather college, promotion in rank or deployments or better yet every year we got a 3% or better raise.. Now my civilian job is a joke. full of douche bag co workers. I really wish and pray I can get back in Active duty..

• Man you've got to change your attitude! Republican or Democratic President really doesn't matter, its the best person for the job. You got the job, If I'm hearing you right, you miss the camaraderie the loyalty among service members. I understand and I feel the same way. I have a family and that's what pulled me through, I was mad at the civilian's because they'd back stab each other, they weren't trust worth and they were real moody and their attitudes changed liked the weather. Well I'm not there for that so I closed ranks did my job raised a family and enjoy the military friends I have…free your mind!

3. sabrinacking | March 18, 2013 at 6:10 pm |

We count the days to retirement. My husband has a countdown tracker on his phone…the thing that worries us about getting out: the negative sentiment toward the military as a lavish welfare class being stirred up by media chicken hawks. Will that affect retirement pay and benefits? Will it affect the VA and it's services for veterans? Will that sentiment make becoming a part of a community after retirement even more difficult than it already is? Somedays we think the only place we can retire peacefully is out of the country all together…that's so terribly sad. But it's true. The powers that be are pitting the majority against the majority. The working class against the military. As things get tougher, history has proven…people like a scapegoat. We fear only one thing: rejection, from the very country we ALL, our entire family have given our lives to.

• Amy_Bushatz | March 18, 2013 at 6:49 pm |

…. or moochers ;-)

• sabrinacking | March 18, 2013 at 9:19 pm |

Yep…that's me…I am Queen of the Moochers, I wrote their Manifesto. The Military Moochers Manifesto, if you can say it three times fast…we might let you join…snort.

• I honestly hope not , but in truth nobody knows

• peaceandhope | March 19, 2013 at 12:25 pm |

you cant mov overseas we are all stuck here because no foreign country will take us specifically because we are us nationales…that being sad our bank accts are property of us govt so not ank will do business with us unless we give up citizenship. GOD is our only hope and salvation. Pray for us and our nation as more people wake up

• THOMAS ANDREWS | March 19, 2013 at 9:46 pm |

I retired in1991 and since then we were OK till DOD got this wonderful idea to make PRIME CARE WITH IN 40 MILES OF THE BASES OR PRIME PROVIDERS.WE MOVED TO AN AREA WHERE WE WERE TOLD ALL WE HAD TO DO WAS SIGN A WAIVER AND WE COULD STAY ON PRIME[WRONG ANSWER] WE THEN BOUGHT A HOME ONLY TO FIND OUT 2 MONTHS LATER THAT WE WERE OUT OF RANGE FOR TRI-WEST PRIME. No matter how many tri-west reps we talked to we always got different answers.We plan to sell our home now and try to find one in a PRIME CARE AREA.

4. conradswims | March 18, 2013 at 7:33 pm |

I can't take any more of this! When I was released from active duty and doing four and a half years of my military obligation there was nothing, No help, Nada. Just don't let the door hit you in the A**. I went out and found my own job and new line of work. Quit expecting to be taken care of. It's your life. Get on with it. GEEEEEEEZZZZZ!

5. conradswims | March 18, 2013 at 7:38 pm |

"Counting the days to retirement" Read what you just wrote. Live life. Find work you love. Never stay in a job for security. You are your own security. You, your attitude and your abilities. I looked around and saw people doing a job they hated just because the were afraid of the unknown. Go for it! Life is for living!

• sabrinacking | March 18, 2013 at 9:23 pm |

I understand your sentiment, but at 18.5 years you do not get the option of just getting out…thus we are "counting the days".

6. You really have to love what you do to want to stay in now…

7. ron moreno | March 19, 2013 at 1:03 am |

I served 5 years Army , 3 years active , 2 years national guard . last year served 1992 , Ive been self employed for 19 years ( building Contractor in Los Angeles ) . My fellow veterans I would hire you before any civilian , just dont brag around your co-workers your a vet, alot of them resent it . I know a vet has alot to offer , cool under pressure , avid planners .I laughed at business partners in the past when everything was going wrong ,I just asked myself huhhh, no charging enemy , im not on a suicide mission , im going home to a hot shower and a cold beer , this is a joke ! You have many options , start a business . MY EXPERIENCE WITH VETERANS , THE MILITARY ALOT OF TIMES PUSHED YOU TO REACH A GOAL . NOW YOUR ON YOUR OWN , YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE DISCIPLINE TO SET YOUR OWN GOALS AND TO MOVE FORWARD . THAT IS WHY ALOT OF THEM FALL APART IN THE CIVILIAN WORLD ,BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT PUSHED FROM THE MILITARY ANYMORE. Just act very humble you served , the civilians will eat you alive , I very rarely tell people im a vet ( especially in California these liberals )

• I hear what you are saying, and I agree for the most part! But, I am one of those liberals from California! ;) I served for 10 years myself, three active, 7 guard. It was my VERY liberal parents from California (i.e. hippies in the 60's/70's) who ENCOURAGED me to join the army back in the early 90's, so I am not sure why people equate being liberal with being anti-military. That is a bit of an insult really. My husband, btw, is in his 22 year in the army now with no plans to retire anytime soon. He enjoys his job (though I wouldn't say we eat, breath and crap the army like some do) and it affords a decent life for us.

• conradswims | March 19, 2013 at 11:05 am |

Good Post. Plus when a person serves in the Military they learn to be a work on time. Same with me. I been a Contractor for over 40 years. I tell people all the time to start their own business. Invest in them selves.

8. ron moreno | March 19, 2013 at 1:05 am |

i served with 25th infantry , e-4 M60 gunner

9. Stay in if you only skills are combat arms. Too many deployments = not a likely candidate for employment in the civilian world. Everybody in DoD talks a good game for hiring Vets but if you havn't acquire skills or education easily transferable to the civilian world you are at a disadvantage. Having serve 22 years in the Army taught me the less you talk about military expierences (i.e. War stories) the better off you are. Not all is doom and gloom but ou must face certain realities in the civilian job maket. I heard a comment from a former Seal team member that his biggest fear was the civilian world.

10. Retirees, I will share a few things.Never tell anyone how much you pay for your Tricare as a retiree, you will be seen as the anti-Christ. Also, don't tell anyone how much you're retirement is. We know we earned it, the majority of civilians I know resent the neck out of us. And definitely don't let anyone know if you get any VA disability since it is tax free. People will think you are welfare receipients, in my experience.

11. A total change in one's life is always tough. I am now retired for a second time (Army 21 years,civilian 25 years) and both times many of the same worries came up. Planning is the key to everything. Try living on your retirement income prior to the big day. If you are not retiring, have a network or plan to "help" if the worse happens and your world crashes. Nothing could prepare me for the lost of the feeling of cohesion and belonging to a military unit as I was dumped into the real world. No one really cares what you did yesterday only how you can make money for them today. Many will be jealous of what you have earned so don't offer amounts and keep any benefits to yourself. Be the first one to show up in the morning and the last one to leave at night, be honest , show what made you a winner in the military.

12. We all have fears. While military life is by no means easy, there is some comfort with a steady check on the 1st and 15th and decent benefits. That being said, military life isn't for anyone. Before you decide to leave the military it would be in your best interest to have a heart to heart discussion with your spouse, so you can get their input. It also helps to have a game plan and some type of emergency fund. If you don't have either of those two things in place, I say stay in until you do get them straightened out. Just my two cents.

13. sabrinacking | March 18, 2013 at 9:33 pm |

I'd like to believe that is true. I'd like to believe people are smarter than to buy into the David Woods' of the worlds BS. But after reading comments on those sorts of articles for the past year…we really are getting disjointed. It's terribly soul sucking to think that even a single person in this country…let alone an under current of well written well spoken connected people think that we have just been living high on the hog the past 18 odd years. That the past 12 years in particular have been a cake walk…it makes us both so angry we could spontaneously combust.

14. What do the "threat" "neutralizers" do?

15. Many baby boomers aren't retiring because they took a huge hit in the stock market and their houses lost a lot of value. Also,many companies are not replacing those who retire. Foundation'st 'll that rosy.