MilKid in Patriotic Shirt at Post School Asked to Change

CeJai Taylor, a 12-year-old student at Fort Campbell’s Mahaffey Middle School, asked school administrators if they would be willing to change their once-a-month casual day policy to allow students to wear patriotic T-shirts. She handed out flyers to help  the staff learn about “Red Fridays,” a nationwide movement that encourages civilians to wear red as a sign of troop support.

The rules at Campbell’s middle schools allowed students to only wear jeans monthly paired with a T-shirt purchased from the school, or dress-code collared shirts. The High School on Fort Campbell has long permitted patriotic shirts to be worn on the casual days.

But officials refused to change the rule to allow CeJai and others — all military kids — to visibly support their deployed parents and friends by wearing a “Red Friday” or other patriotic shirt once a month. Instead, they told CeJai’s mom, Cassandra Taylor, they have “designated days” to support the military.

“I said ‘Are you kidding me? All she wants to do is support her dad and wear the shirt that support the troops,'” Taylor said.

So they decided to take a stand.

“That’s ridiculous that I couldn’t wear a red shirt to support the troops at a military school,” CeJai said. “I was sick and tired and I finally stood-up for what I believed in.”

With the support of her mom CeJai decided to wear the shirt on the most recent casual day, April 19,  anyway. And when school officials ordered her to change her shirt, her mom picked her up and brought her home instead. Later that day CeJai called Fox News and told them her story.

That interview aired April 23. The story has since gone viral.

“I had people emailing me from different organizations saying that they have mass overloaded emails to the school to the point where the school emails are no longer working, calling the school, faxing the school — it’s been crazy,” Taylor said.

As a result school officials made an abrupt change to their policy and plan to send a letter home with students April 25 explaining the change.

“They relooked at the school dress code and students will be allowed to wear patriotic T-shirts on dress down days,” Cindy Gibson, a DoDEA spokeswoman said April 24.

The school is also increasing casual day from once a month to every Friday.

Taylor said Gary Gerstner, assistant superintendent for DoDEA’s Kentucky District, called her April 24 and apologized.

“It was a tough conversation,” Taylor said. “I know that they had to eat crow because I know that it does not make them look good.”

Taylor said they knew they would receive flack over the shirt and that CeJai would be ordered to change. But instead of directing CeJai to follow the rules, Taylor wanted her to stand behind the things that are most important to her.

“She loves her daddy — there’s nothing more beautiful than a child that loves God, loves her country and her daddy. And I stand by that — if it wasn’t for that I wouldn’t have pushed it,” Taylor said.

CeJai said her father, who deployed early this Spring, is very proud of her.

“(My dad) is going to say that he’s very proud of me and can’t wait to see me,” CeJai said.

Taylor said she hopes the incident has taught CeJai to take a stand even in the face of opposition.

“I want her to know that sometimes these things are worth fighting for,” Taylor said. “Isn’t that what being a parent is all about? You teach her to stand her ground and that sometimes it’s OK to be by herself.”

Amy is the editor in chief of’s spouse and family blog A journalist by trade, Amy also covers spouse and family news for where she is the managing editor of spouse and family content. An Army wife and mother of two, Amy has been featured as a subject matter expert on, NPR, Fox News, NBC, CBS, ABC and BBC as well as in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal and Washington Post. Follow her on twitter @amybushatz.

163 Comments on "MilKid in Patriotic Shirt at Post School Asked to Change"

1. Kevin chambers | April 25, 2013 at 2:27 pm |
  2. Wow…a DOD school not allowing students to show support for their military parents. Obviously none of the school administrators ever wore a uniform. Bravo Zulu to CeJai for standing her ground against those idiots.

• Top Rad, The school stated they do have days designated for support to military. So on the designated day she would be allowed to wear the shirt to show her support.

Al D'Adda

• Roger That

• Just goes to show how liberals can slither in and take over a DOD school and try to instill their demented way of life.

• Wm_Bjornson | April 30, 2013 at 11:45 pm |

If, as you say, 'liberals' had slithered in and "taken over a DOD school" there wouldn't have been any 'dress code' in the first place and no controversy. Get your mythical people straight if you have to think of humans in such pristinely simplistic terms. Fascists are big on 'dress codes', but people who fascists label as 'liberals' typically are not quite as concerned with their physical appearance to others (think 'Hippie' or whatever the current corresponding term is). Also, presumably being on a military base, whatever rules the school had in place must have received military review and approval at some point not to mention the unlikely idea that such a school in such a place would be a hotbed of "liberal" thought gives a seriously "demented" cast to your comment which fits right in with much of the other commentary here. It looks more like a brat using a touchy issue to get her own way and teaching her peers that, if they can come up with the right issue, they can tie nonthinking adults into knots. It's been a good show.

• Wm,

I retract my previous statement above in reply to Occupy. It was never in you to leave this topic alone you must know that. Your statement is agreeable up to the point of calling the child a brat, but then again it is an opinion and it is the purpose of this page I suppose.

Al D'Adda

• Wm_Bjornson | May 1, 2013 at 11:29 am |

I say 'brat' only in the context of a military mindset. She is in violation of her orders (rules). Should someone in the military (her Dad?) act out like this, they would spend much longer than the 23 days I spent in the Cherry Point brig for 'disobedience of a direct order', to wit, not shaving in the morning (heavy beard, shaved at night in the shower)! Those 23 days were the best time I had in the 'crotch' except maybe when, being the youngest (just turned 17), I was made the Smedley Butler (NCO's mess) during my boot camp platoon's week on mess duty at the Pendleton Rifle Range. I stand by 'brat' but only in this context. I might applaud her action in a different context. Wakarimasuka.

• There are no DOD schools in the states, all schools on bases are run by the local school districts. This doesn't excuse a totally disgusting rule where an American child can't display a sense of patriotism by wearing a tasteful shirt. Makes you wonder who is developing the curriculum our kids are having to learn.

3. Randy Lowe-36 yrs | April 25, 2013 at 3:14 pm |

Bravo to CeJai and thanks be to Mom for supporting her courageous daughter. We need more examples like you. Thanks to Dad for being willing to wear the uniform with honor. It is a valuable lesson for all of us to stand our ground when the cause is just.

• Wm_Bjornson | April 30, 2013 at 10:49 am |

If we change "courageous" to "spoiled", "need more examples like [this]" to "need more holes in our heads", "willing to wear the uniform" to "in his heart needs to" (as we all did), and "valuable lesson to stand our ground when the cause is just" to "being executed or imprisoned for refusal to obey orders", your comment might make sense. As it is, it's just a string of empty buzzwords similar to what we might get if we ask Rover to "Speak, boy!" We won't need to "stand our ground when the cause is just" if we first ensure that those making the demands are "just'. If they are 'just following orders" of an unjust system, then yes, we can hang them, I guess, as we did at Nuremberg and are still doing for reasons completely unrelated to "justice". Also, you might want to notice the similarity of this issue to what "Occupy!" was saying (Oh. Horrors!). Exactly the same spirit. How can we cheer this and condemn Occupy! ? Hmm?

4. Good for CeJai and way to go Mom for standing firm on this!

5. This story still makes me proud of CeJai for standing up to those knuckle heads at the school.
    Just about every civilian at the base I am assigned to wear red t-shirts for "Red Shirt Fridays" to support everyone downrange.
    Way to go!!

6. toopoorformensa | April 25, 2013 at 4:38 pm |

I hate to say this and look like the "bad guy", but schools have dress code policies for a reason. If you have an issue with the dress code policy TALK TO THE ADMINISTRATION!!! The fact that you tell your daughter it's ok to break the rule that you think is unfair, then go straight to the media when you ALREADY KNOW she's going to get sent home from school for breaking the rule is unfair to the school. It's called a setup. Basically you just taught your daughter that it's ok to blackmail people into doing things that you want. I'm all for supporting the troops (currently AD Marine 12 years strong!), my brothers, sisters and I always appreciate the support. I'm not ok with this article lauding the efforts to force a schools hand in changing THEIR policies by putting an unfair bias of their dress code in the media.

• Amy_Bushatz | April 25, 2013 at 5:06 pm |

Just as a point of clarification: they did in fact talk to the administration.

• toopoorformensa | April 25, 2013 at 5:51 pm |

So what you're saying is that if you lose in court, just do what you want? No, take it to a higher level such as the school board, etc.

• toopoorformensa | April 25, 2013 at 5:53 pm |

Think of it this way, if the shirt was for another cause that you personally didn't believe in (yes, i know everybody supports us) would you be proud of this action or question it?

• YN1(SS) Michael | April 25, 2013 at 6:59 pm |

Nothing vulgar, inciting, advertising alcohol,tobacco or drugs (the current PC whipping boys) and just basically a positive move. This is civil disobedience at its finest. Some seem to forget the changes forged by civil disobedience in the 60s and 70s. Yes, I'm getting old but I participated in those and still believe there are times when it is necessary.

Personally, I would organize something against the Gestapo (oh, I'm sorry, the TSA and other similar agencies of DHS) but I'm afraid of spending the rest of my life in Guantanamo.

• SO you're saying it is ok for the middle school to not let the kids wear Patriotic shirts but the high schoolers can? Sorry but I disagree. I am a former Marine 73-76 and I support this young woman and her mother.. You will never change things if you do not stand up for your rights! After all this is a free country right?

• So you're saying it's ok for kids to blatantly disregard rules because they don't agree with them? If that's the case, then why should my kids listen to me when they don't agree with my house rules. And certainly in that vein, I shouldn't mete out discipline and let them just do what they want.

• no but they can certainly change them going through the proper channels as she did..and to answer your other question ..because it sounds like to me that yours are set in stone..and some thing else..until you spend time in the military and some time getting your asses blown off or close to it shut your pie might be the last time she gets to support her dad.which i pray to god for all their returns..think about her dad and not just the fact of a tee shirt will ya..

• I wonder if she followed the below information taken from the Fort Campbell's school website about bringing up a topic at a Board meeting. Just saying she spoke to administrators doesn't mean that she worked her way through the District's Chain of Command to propose a change in the dress code policy.

School Board
            The purpose of an open board meeting is to provide one more avenue of communication between the schools and the community. The board participates in the development and oversight of all policies, procedures, curriculum, programs and initiatives that affect the Fort Campbell Community. Federal law prohibits the board from participating in disbursement of monies, personnel actions, or items regulated by contractual agreements. The board does not address items specific to individual students. The Fort Campbell School Board encourages the citizens of our community to come to our meetings, listen, understand and share information. There are a few steps you must complete so the Board can consider your comments.

• Please use the District's Chain-of-Command before bringing up an item in a board meeting.

1st. Teacher or Supervisor
            2nd. Principal
            3rd. Superintendent
            4th. School Board

Also, I don't have to be a servicemember who has been shot at to have an opinion about this situation. Going to war doesn't make your opinion more valid than mine, which is given in the context of being a parent.

• If more of us would stand up for what we believe in (especially when we KNOW that the government is stepping on our rights), then this would be a much better world. I think this girl did a great job in supporting what she believed in & I am sure that her father (TY Sir for serving) is extremely proud of her. Better this type of shirt than one using bad language or something of that type!

• well said!

• MJafspouse | April 30, 2013 at 3:17 pm |

I totally agree with you! Rules are there for a reason. Shame on her.

• I totally agree! They weren't against patriotic shirts they just had a standard dress code. Next time it will be somebody else with their pet peve cause and they will be standing on the same principle set forth here. The mother is an ass. People have to see the principles involved and not just their particular cause. Sad that most of these readers are not astute enough to realize this. People are sheep. Even the title of this article was misleading.

• Read the article! CeJai did ask the school administration if she could wear a Red Friday (Military appreciation) shirt and was told "no." I am proud that this kid had the guts to wear the shirt anyway and bring to light the fact that military kids, on a military post, were not allowed to stand behind and support their families!

• toopoorformensa | May 21, 2013 at 7:07 pm |

Read the post from mel, straight from the school website. Mom went straight to the media after knowingly sending her kid to break the rules without continuing through the proper channels.

• If your a marine then you know our system sucks and leadership as a whole is pathetic. There are good examples but most of them are the ones who couldn't get a job elsewhere. Therefore she did what she had to do to get the mission done…..ever heard of that marine????
      The best soldiers I know get out to take contracting jobs or join SF, SOF, Great Skills etc. If you are remaining in an ordinary company at 12 yrs in the chances are you are an idiot or suck as a person or at your job. If not, I apologize, but those are the facts.

• toopoorformensa | May 17, 2013 at 3:19 pm |

Yes, i have heard of "getting the mission accomplished". But there are rules, and we don't break them under the guise of "oh im just doing what i have to do". There's a time and a place for that, and this was not done correctly. Her mom set a bad example of a citizen, regardless of what your personal feelings about certain people in leadership positions are. And as far as your silly attack on me not being an "amazing Marine" because i didn't go out and get a contracting job??? I achieved the rank of Gunnery Sergeant before i got my third hashmark, its because i'm damn good at what i do. Hell, I have even grown a distaste for my MOS field but i continue to serve because the Corps needs Marines like me to train the next generation. Hopefully you find a better soapbox to stand on next time.

• Luigicorelli | May 1, 2013 at 2:56 pm |

No I do not believe that is an issue. The progressives in this country are trying to brainwash everyone and school kids are their starting point. It is a movement to end patriotism and replace it with blind loyalty to government. I hope you can see this. If not, you will not be happy about your future. Better get the message now.

• You don't sound like Any Marine I know. You sound lijke a wimp that crawls on your belly and folds at the slightest touch of pressure.We,active duty and vets,have a right to express our freedom and support. This little hero did the right thing!!!You,sound like a teacher.

• toopoorformensa | June 7, 2013 at 4:11 pm |

I am a teacher. And a mentor. And a good citizen. Exactly what a Marine should be. If I have a problem with something I find the proper way of dealing with it, and I get things done. This isn't 1970 anymore, we have this magic thing called "technology" where it takes three seconds on a phone to find out exactly who you need to call or speak to when you have a problem with something. The lack of civility under the guise of patriotism in this comment board is truly disheartening.

• Teacher? Pathetic. If you're a teacher then you should believe in the leftist views of 'blackmailing' people to do what you believe in. You're right, it isnt 1970 anymore and times have changed. You leftist loons 'blackmail' everyone into doing what you want. Why shouldnt this girl 'blackmail' you into doing whats right? You obviously didnt read the article 'teach', they DID contact the school, they DID ask to change their views.

• toopoorformensa | June 7, 2013 at 4:12 pm |

And i refuse to make a personal attack back at yours, if you truly are my brother. Semper Fi

• Did You Even Read the article before you posted your reply? "CeJai Taylor, a 12-year-old student at Fort Campbell’s Mahaffey Middle School, asked school administrators if they would be willing to change their once-a-month casual day policy to allow students to wear patriotic T-shirts. . "

• You mean blackmail people the way the leftist loons do? Then YES! Whats good for the goose is good for the gander. The left has been blackmailing their way into the American way of life (read destroying) for whatever they want, why shouldnt those who believe in the 'right' thing be allowed to 'blackmail' those who dont stand for the freedoms our troops provide. Big deal marine, I tried to get in the marines, couldnt pass the physical, couldnt get my head in the jar. 11 years 11 BRAVO. You should be ashamed of yourself.

7. Wouldn't it make more sense to spread awareness off base? Everyone who is military or directly affiliated with a servicemember is very aware of what our military is doing and has been doing since 9/11. It seems redundant to promote awareness, in a school that educates only military kids, when every military kid is very aware because of an absent parent at some time during this war. I also would like to point out that she could have went above the administration to plead her case. This would have been a more mature way to handle this issue instead of making it into a media circus that did in fact bully the school into changing it's policy. Sometimes in life we have to follow rules we do not like or agree with and not everyone is going to get their way. To encourage defiance when not getting your way is not teaching your child how to interact in society in a mature and respectful manner.

• omg your kidding me right ?you have to be…here let me take time out to laugh at your stupid remark..silence please……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..ok i am done …

• all I'm going to say is what they've been doing since 9/11? no, its about every soldier that has PROUDLY worn that uniform knowing full well what could and can happen when our country calls upon them. I understand dress codes, but if you are going to allow a dress down day, set the standards alittle differently. For this girl and her mother to take a stand on what they believe in, I applaud them and salute them, because this shows me that there are still people willing to take a stand in what counts. I know if I was ever asked to change a pro-military shirt or leave because of one, I'd do something similar to what they did to rectify the situation.

• eastsidegeorgiaboy | April 28, 2013 at 12:26 pm |
    • eastsidegeorgiaboy | April 28, 2013 at 12:27 pm |
  8. proudmarinesister | April 25, 2013 at 6:09 pm |

i work in a school district the one and only reason public schools started the uniform thing was bc they though it would be cheaper for the parents and would stop the bullying of children who couldnt afford name brand products!!!!!!!!!!! I couldnt be happier that this young lady stood up for what she believed in! I grew up in a MARINE/NAVY family and i would have done the same thing!!!!!! Semper Fi <3

• I am a proud Marine daughter of a retired Marine of the Korean War (or Conflict, as they call it now). He was wounded and has a Purple Heart which is now mine.

• Simply For Gotten | August 14, 2013 at 6:30 pm |

Actually the biggest reason schools go to a uniform is so those that cannot afford to purchase the designated school unform, are given the uniforms for free. Paid for by everyone else through taxes. Go to any school board meeting that is trying to get school uniforms mandated, and ask the question, " What happens to the kids who's parents cannot afford to purchase your uniform?" Kudo's to this young lady, and her mother. We all serve or served to protect the second amendment, which protects the rest. We let our children become sheeple and America will go by the way of the Roman Empire. Lighting from the sky, Thunder from the sea. Semper Fi

9. Kevin chambers | April 25, 2013 at 6:27 pm |

This country was founded on defiance!

10. purpleheartpark | April 25, 2013 at 8:21 pm |

Why the Hell am I paying Taxes for a DOD School in America? School Districts are County Functions not Federal Fuctions….More Waste of Tax Dollars…

• The military members did nto want their children bussed to meet integration laws. The parents felt that their children having to move every 2-3 years was stressful enough not to have to ride a bus for 2 hours a day. ____In additio,n the schools on bases allow children to go to school in a neighborhood school near their homes just like MOST other kids get to do. Military children give up a tremendouos amount. If you have not been one or do not have any you wouldn't understand.____There is also an increased burden on the public school system in many areas. If kids live on base theor parents are not paying school taxes soooo… that means that someone has to put up the money for the influx from federal employees in high federal employment areas. the govt ponies up the money to hel districts stay solvent.____This is good use of tax dollars in most cases. What is not good use is leeches getting someting for nothing. Miltary brats give a lot.

• purpleheartpark | April 25, 2013 at 11:22 pm |

So these Kids are Not American Kids. They are Government Kids..Correct??? Please tell us why tis is a Good use of our Tax Dollars since it has nothing to do with the Defense of this Country…

• 27 yrs still in | April 26, 2013 at 9:16 am |

Are you serious? These kids, and their education, health, and sociology are the reason that our military men and women actually serve. Children of the military have different socioeconomic requirements then the avg hometown children who have grown up with the same friends and family since birth. There is some level of integration and you'd be paying tax dollars to school children whether they went to base schools or public… Now consider overseas locations. Same deal. Your taxes pay to SUPPORT our military which includes, MWR, education, and travel, as well as bombs and bullets, ships and planes, cooks and clerks.

• @ 27,

If I am not mistaken public schools are paid for with property taxes from home owners.. I am just trying to clarify a point you bring up "…you'd be paying tax dollars to school children whether they went to base schools or public…" Just aksing if this is the statement you are making.

• maybe theres not enough room at the public schools Einstein. Our dependents deserve a little extra at times.

11. Ronald bryant | April 25, 2013 at 8:29 pm |

We all need to remember this country was founded on rebellion against unfair treatment.

12. Joseph Russo | April 25, 2013 at 9:01 pm |

Military schools should not be controlled by anti-military groups. Our children deserve the best education that can be provided. To hell with our present administration.

• My son attends Mahaffey. In my experience with teachers and administration there, they are certain not "anti-military". They had rules, they asked that the girl follow the rules. They then changed the rules probably because people were making a mountain out of a molehill. That girl was allowed to wear red. She just wanted to be able to wear shirts that don't say "Mahaffey Middle School" or that have a collar, I guess.

I suppose I just thought that "RED Fridays" meant to wear red, not that you specifically HAD to wear a patriotic shirt.

• to hell with our present administration…sounds very anti-government to me…..are you an anarchist? Are you questioning the Commander in Chief?

• Yes, i do question him, and his allegiance to this country. He has done nothing for this country other than more than double our national debt, increase the cost of doing business, and apologize for being American to the world. I am a military spouse, and I didn't sign away my freedom of speech. I can speak against the dictator in chief all I want!

13. School officials on Fort Campbell have done an about-face on a ban against allowing students to wear patriotic shirts on casual day after one student’s stand against the policy gained national media attention.

Fire these people yesterday.

• Yes, fire them because that will help in educating the children won't it. I mean the very thing a military child wants is teachers changing out every month or so. Good Call voodkokk.

14. if i had been incharge of that base i would have kick that moran of my base, thats a military
    base what the hell were they thinking they forget it's not pulbic land where schools can ban
    what ever they dream about in their dumb minds, sometimes school officials really show that
    they are sometimes pretty dumb.

• clearly a little more school would have helped this comment

• ZING!!!

But to Killo, are you sure that the base land is governed owned? I do know the training area around Ft. Hood is not but rather is borrowed from cattle farmers.

• exactly, our last 3 bases all school were county schools that happened to be on base, the schools had nothing to do with the base or the were governed by the base

• :)

15. Another brat getting her way, how about setting an example and following the rules?

• Mel: "Following the Rules" smacks of Fascism. The essence of an good education is to THINK for yourself, not just follow the rules!!

• So, military members should just wear whatever they want as well, right? Why have uniform rules?

• You are so Un-American. She was not being a brat, she was standing her ground and being free……remember freedom is a right given to all Americans, well, until Obama get through with our country. Go live elsewhere. Get deported would be better for anyone who is Un-American.

• Hey Mel….. who the @&$@ are you? You must a non-american and do not believe in our God.

• Another idiot whos allowed to express there thoughts from behind a computer thanks to this childs mother or father defending this country.

16. God bless this young lady. Stand up for America and her Father.

17. Our troops are .45% of our country
    So much is owed to so Few By so many
    I wanted to serve, I Volunteered, I knew what I was doing when I joined , I'd do it again.

Benjamin Franklin Said
    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Our nation has grown to comfortable.
    Every politician likes to Call on the spirits of our founding fathers, but few believe or truly understand the principles that they take up and support as a cause.

Our Founders Raged war in order to preserve our inalienable rights. Begrudgingly, they gave the Federal Government just enough power to give our nation strength, but the Constitution was not established to grant the government power, but to limit its ability to garner power.
    The last thing they wanted was the thing that has happened with all governments throughout time – the government becomes corrupt and the powerful few control the masses.

Our government cannot keep us from speaking our minds.
    Our government cannot take from us our weapons.
    Our government cannot break into our homes to search our personal property.

In short,We are not empowered by the government but rather we grant the government it's power.It exist because we allow it to

The Purpose of the Constitution is to limit the power of the Government, not the American People.

• This is an excellent post! unlike so many here on this subject.

• Our government tries to keep us from speaking our mind, Case in point according to our useless president there are no illegal aliens, we must not use that phrase, ILLGAL ALIENS , need to go home

18. Lauramroberts | April 26, 2013 at 5:54 pm |

Note that one of the reason was that the shirt was not puchased at the school's store.

Good for her, that young lady will do well in life.

19. so…were red collared shirts also against the dress code? If not why couldn't she have supported her father by wearing a red shirt as it was named "Red Friday's". As much as I see understand her desire to support the troops, I don't believe that this was a necessary battle.

20. Your write-up offers verified useful to us.

It’s really informative and you're certainly quite knowledgeable in this field. You have got popped our face to various opinion of this subject matter along with interesting and sound written content.

21. You are stupid! Please don't post here! You never served a day, I can tell. Go away little yipping dog!

22. This should have not been an issue to begin with. There is no way a "support the military" T-shirt would disrupt good order and discipline in the classroom. I love that those who are not in the fight are calling this young lady bad names. Really??? Go post your hate on an anti-America www site instead! This young lady has freedoms and rights that I fought for 20 years to protect. I am glad she is sticking up for her freedoms. I would want to wear a shirt like that if my mom or dad was deployed and I was her age. I bet this isn't the first or last deployment of her Dad she has to deal with. How difficult, each day dealing with not knowing if your Dad will come home alive or not. The individuals calling her a brat are really the brats in real life!

• MSgt, what would you do if one of your troops showed up in formation wearing a breast cancer awareness shirt, in support of his/her mom who had breast cancer, instead of the uniform of the day? That person has freedoms and rights too. And before you say the person joined the military and he/she has to follow the rules, remember that when a person enrolls in a school they are obligated to follow the rules to be allowed to attend that school. I am all for patriotism, but this issue should have been addressed with the school board who are the ones who determine school policies. For all we know, all administrators and teachers may not have been in agreement with the dress code policy, but they must follow the policies to remain employed by the school. I don't think anyone is anti-military, but let's handle things in the proper manner.

• Luigicorelli | May 1, 2013 at 3:03 pm |

She's not in the military. She is only supporting her father who is deployed. We still have rights and we still have freedom. Those who want that to end will have to make their case in front of the business end of a rifle. Aways been that way in America, always will.

• toopoorformensa | May 21, 2013 at 7:24 pm |

She can do both. She can support her father AND go about it the correct way any other citizen should have. By following the rules. Scroll up, look at the post with the rules that were clearly defined on the school website, and see where the media was brought in to railroad the school into changing their policy. Step 2 of four. Never brought it to the superintendant, never brought it to the school board. they asked the principal and were denied and went straight to "Merica's news", the fair and balanced Fox.

• yes because going threw the proper channels worked oh so well for the blacks in the 60s. This young lady did nothing wrong, now pull your head out of your ass and put it back on your shoulders where God intended it to be.

23. chibiokasan | April 27, 2013 at 7:48 pm |

Baka!!! Stupid! It's a on base school and yet they can't wear a short that supports our troops….that makes no sense at all!!!

24. eastsidegeorgiaboy | April 28, 2013 at 8:26 am |
  25. Am I the only one that thinks she was just looking for this kind of attention? I'm not saying that she doesn't really want to support her dad, but there are other ways to support her dad. Also, she could have worn a red shirt either in polo form or, if I am not mistaken, Mahaffey offered the school shirts in red along with multiple other colors.

I don't know. I just kind of rolled my eyes with this one.

• totally agree with you

• toopoorformensa | May 17, 2013 at 3:28 pm |

like i said, looked like a complete setup from the beginning. "oh i dont get my way, i'm calling fox news". just scream 'merica and they're infringing on my rights, sprinkle military family on top and you have a media firestorm cupcake nobody wants to eat. There a probably more cases like this around the country that were handled responsibly but recieved no media attention. Gotta sell commercials!

26. Proud American | April 29, 2013 at 9:09 am |

PC gone wrong! Under the current administration, we cater to the unpatriotic and abnormal. Good for her for standing for what is right and just i support of her father and AMERICA as it should be!

27. You are stupid…..Don't post here….
    Go away you little yipping dog…

Thanks for the laugh! Colonel "oh look at my bird"

28. wow you found "period" button!!!

29. Wm_Bjornson | April 30, 2013 at 6:22 am |

Gahdam Lifers will run you up on bullcrap, but when acting out themselves will wipe their butt with the UCMJ. AGAIN, 'patriotism' is a 'behavior'. Whether the term is 'Gunny' or 'Ms Gunny', the psychopaths wear the flag every day and use YOU like 'Gallipoli'. AGAIN, MajGen Smedley D. Butler, whose proud Marine's Marine memory has been suppressed by the political class for his views will help inform you of how these monsters use you. And thanks for looking up the USS LIBERTY and LBJ 'ordering back' help sent from a carrier. He committed high treason in that moment. Who owned him, Gunny? 'Patriotism' is the most manipulated and twisted political quantity in America today. Patriotism is not saluting some rag on a post nor some really BAD music with worse lyrics nor slaughtering innocent women and children by the hundreds of thousands. Patriotism is your neighbor's welfare being of as much concern to you as your own, that guy in the next rack who you really don't like but who you'll get yer ass completely shot up to pull out of harm WITHOUT EVEN THINKING ABOUT IT. Patriotism is not something you have to think of, it's something that comes out of you automatically when your context calls it up. All of Morality can be summed up in your real concern for the welfare of the human being next to you and for your People. When you murder only so others can get rich, you are no better than a mercenary, the lowest thing on Earth. That is our sole mission in the Mideast. YOU KNOW IT. Patriotism is NOT "diverse" nor is is so trivial as these people in this story make it look. Your head has been buried in the 'crotch' for 24 years and 'thinking' is not exactly encouraged, is it? But, if you so choose to 'think', then you must have the data in your head or just like a simple pc, GIGO, garbage in, garbage out. For example, learn what nanothermite is, the only place it could come from, and how much of it was in ALL of the dust from Bldgs 1, 2, and especially 7. Then, start thinking about how it could possibly have gotten there. That's 'patriotism'. Believing what the propaganda machine tells you because it's easier is NOT thinking. And, no, patriotism is not "mandatory" nor is your identity, American. But if you are truly the latter you will have, as you have arms and legs, the former. As a Marine, please don't try to lecture on diversity and free thinking. If you want to wallow in lies, enjoy watching your friends killed by patriots defending their own homeland which we have invaded for gain, stay as you are, nurture your ignorance. Gahdam me, Gunny, comes a time when you have to wake up. History is nothing but a list of great societies who have allowed themselves to eventually be overrun with wormtongued, self-only psychopathic parasites who convinced sincere people like you that THEY had a RIGHT to take anything they wanted, and destroyed the society however great it may have been. We are well on that road and we need to get serious if we are to save our America. Study! Hey, Pearl Harbor! Ask yourself if completely cutting off Japan's oil supply in June of 1941 wasn't an act of war. Ask yourself if we could have sunk a Japanese miniature submarine (confirmed, and incapable of crossing the Pacific on its own) at 0530 by the USS Ward (DD-139) patrolling the entrance to Pearl Harbor without so much as a whisper of alarm to a base supposedly on 'high alert' of just such attack, not to mention that WE, not the Japanese, fired the 'first shot' (actually the first (oil) and second (sub)). The attack came at 0815 with "NO WARNING?" Data. Propaganda. Lies. Our psychopaths are no different than their psychopaths, whomever 'they' are. Please, don't insist on being a simpleton just cuz yer a jarhaid. Read history, real history, and know your enemies, "both foreign and domestic" for their behavior, not their lying words. <a href="; rel="nofollow"&gt <a href="http://;…” target=”_blank”>;

30. This is an outrage!!! Every American should be supporting our troops…every day, not just of Fridays! I cannot believe the gall of this school to ask CeJai to change.

• toopoorformensa | May 17, 2013 at 3:29 pm |

we should just change the law that if anyone is caught not wearing a pro military shirt they get kicked out of school! now lets all go continue protecting their freedom

31. Retired 1SG | April 30, 2013 at 3:20 pm |

I would like to know who we have running the schools on post. I cannot believe it took all that it did to get the school officials head out of his/her ass! These officials should not have any job on a military installation. They are a discrace to our men in uniform. I am very sorry that in a time when our country needs more patriotism, we are setting the example in our DOD schools. They should be ashamed!

32. Gingerleigh | April 30, 2013 at 3:37 pm |

I knew there would be some on here who blame "the current administration" for this. The school had a rule, and they changed it when the young lady (or more likely, her Mama) contacted Fox News. I have to hand it to her, that's a surefire way to get yourself some attention, especially from those who suffer from Obama Derangement Syndrome. But overall, it's a triviality. We've got bigger issues to be concerned about. I don't care what she wears; it's more important what she does. She has many years to prove herself and I hope she acquits herself well. And just in case she's thinking about a military career for herself, she's going to have to learn how to wear what other folks tell her to.

• Luigicorelli | May 1, 2013 at 3:07 pm |

I think you are totally missing the point. There is no common sense left in America. We are in wars. Soldiers have families. Families support their deployed loved ones. We should support that as Americans. End of story – zero tolerance for stupidity – zero tolerance for political correctness.

33. Ok I think a lot of you are getting stuck in the School has a dress code. Well my children have gone to a DOD school and the very shirts that they sell to the students that they can wear on dress down day is a T-shirt, or it was when we did live at a post that offered a DOD school. I think that the issue, and I may be wrong, is why can they wear a T-shirt in which the school sells in order to support the school or wear the school uniform shirt. When in fact you are on a military base and why not allow the kids to wear a shirt that is appropriate and showing support for their loved ones at the same time. It is all a little common sense, something that it seems more and more people are lacking. Maybe that should be subject in school.

34. airam acines | April 30, 2013 at 4:16 pm |

That's what I'm talking about. Be supportive to those who fight for our safety not for the nonsense activities…..

35. Virgil_Hilts | April 30, 2013 at 4:56 pm |

OK…this is VERY bizarre! Some nameless bureaucrat somewhere in the school's chain of 'command', and probably low…has unilaterally pronounced judgement on WHAT, HOW and WHEN someone at the Middle School may wear a particular article of clothing? Why, then, is this policy not in effect at the High School? I see NO correlation between the two standards; just someone, or a group of someones, thinking it is their responsibility to micro-manage…..and yet this need magically Disappears when you hit high school? Can you say Department of Inconsistency Department?

36. A non-issue blown out of proportion by Fox News. What else is new? I'm not sure which is sadder, a child claiming support for a highly-structured institution by breaking conduct of an institution she herself is a part of or the elevation of a T-shirt to the epitome of love and support.

37. When children have to fight to be allowed to express their patriotism – I think we are nearing the "finished" line.

38. Why is the military operating Department of Defense Schools in the US? County schools are not good enough for the military brats? I thought that DOD schools are for overseas only. Quantico Marine Corp Base also operates DODs schools. With excellent school district just outside their gates, (Stafford and Prince William School Districts) Quantico does not need a DOD school for their spoiled brats. Our wasted tax dollar @ work.

39. Wm_Bjornson | April 30, 2013 at 7:55 pm |

Relax, Al. Go read Gunga Din (deen). It's a great read and the last line says everything about the British Raj. The rhythmic meter is easy. Let's see if the mods let me post it:

YOU may talk o' gin an' beer
    When you're quartered safe out 'ere,
    An' you're sent to penny-fights an' Aldershot it;
    But if it comes to slaughter
    You will do your work on water, 5
    An' you'll lick the bloomin' boots of 'im that's got it.
    Now in Injia's sunny clime,
    Where I used to spend my time
    A-servin' of 'Er Majesty the Queen,
    Of all them black-faced crew 10
    The finest man I knew
    Was our regimental bhisti, Gunga Din.

It was "Din! Din! Din!
    You limping lump o' brick-dust, Gunga Din!
    Hi! slippy hitherao! 15
    Water, get it! Panee lao!
    You squidgy-nosed old idol, Gunga Din!"

The uniform 'e wore
    Was nothin' much before,
    An' rather less than 'arf o' that be'ind, 20
    For a twisty piece o' rag
    An' a goatskin water-bag
    Was all the field-equipment 'e could find.
    When the sweatin' troop-train lay
    In a sidin' through the day, 25
    Where the 'eat would make your bloomin' eyebrows crawl,
    We shouted "Harry By!"
    Till our throats were bricky-dry,
    Then we wopped 'im 'cause 'e couldn't serve us all.

It was "Din! Din! Din! 30
    You 'eathen, where the mischief 'ave you been?
    You put some juldee in it,
    Or I'll marrow you this minute,
    If you don't fill up my helmet, Gunga Din!"

'E would dot an' carry one 35
    Till the longest day was done,
    An' 'e didn't seem to know the use o' fear.
    If we charged or broke or cut,
    You could bet your bloomin' nut,
    'E'd be waitin' fifty paces right flank rear. 40
    With 'is mussick on 'is back,
    'E would skip with our attack,
    An' watch us till the bugles made "Retire."
    An' for all 'is dirty 'ide,
    'E was white, clear white, inside 45
    When 'e went to tend the wounded under fire!

It was "Din! Din! Din!"
    With the bullets kickin' dust-spots on the green.
    When the cartridges ran out,
    You could 'ear the front-files shout: 50
    "Hi! ammunition-mules an' Gunga Din!"

I sha'n't forgit the night
    When I dropped be'ind the fight
    With a bullet where my belt-plate should 'a' been.
    I was chokin' mad with thirst, 55
    An' the man that spied me first
    Was our good old grinnin', gruntin' Gunga Din.

'E lifted up my 'ead,
    An' 'e plugged me where I bled,
    An' 'e guv me 'arf-a-pint o' water—green; 60
    It was crawlin' an' it stunk,
    But of all the drinks I've drunk,
    I'm gratefullest to one from Gunga Din.

It was "Din! Din! Din!
    'Ere's a beggar with a bullet through 'is spleen; 65
    'E's chawin' up the ground an' 'e's kickin' all around:
    For Gawd's sake, git the water, Gunga Din!"

'E carried me away
    To where a dooli lay,
    An' a bullet come an' drilled the beggar clean. 70
    'E put me safe inside,
    An' just before 'e died:
    "I 'ope you liked your drink," sez Gunga Din.
    So I'll meet 'im later on
    In the place where 'e is gone— 75
    Where it's always double drill and no canteen;
    'E'll be squattin' on the coals
    Givin' drink to pore damned souls,
    An' I'll get a swig in Hell from Gunga Din!

Din! Din! Din! 80
    You Lazarushian-leather Gunga Din!
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!

• Wm_Bjornson | May 1, 2013 at 12:05 am |

Hey Mods, lighten up. It's a famous poem about the military and human nature and, if people don't know it, they may appreciate it as much as I do. I mean, Rudyard Kipling?

40. Gerald Williams | April 30, 2013 at 9:04 pm |

As a former school administrator, I applaud this young woman's stand. For the life of me, I cannot understand why any school district would ban the wearing of patriotic shirts on approved casual days. What are we teaching our children? The wrong message obviously! If my students had requested such a day, believe me, I would have gone to bat for them with everyone in the district. I don't take my years in the military lightly, nor do I want the public to do so! If only we had more kids with this kind of heart and soul!

• toopoorformensa | May 21, 2013 at 7:34 pm |

They already HAD specific days to support the military, but that was not the specific day the young lady wanted so mommy taught her a lesson in douchebaggery and how to use soul-captivating words and phrases like "patriotism" and "support the troops" to get the specific day you want.

41. caplingerconnections | May 1, 2013 at 12:51 am |

So what do the kids wear the rest of the time at school? I'm confused. If they have a designated casual day does that mean that they wear a uniform to school? I just can't imagine being made to wear a uniform to middle school even if you are a military family.

42. Wm,

If you please look me up on

Al D'Adda

43. A lot of great comments from some very knowledgeable people. I believe in following the rules; I am a Police Chief of a small town, I retired from the Army (I served a number of years as a First Sergeant). My kids would have done something similar to show their support while I was on one of my frequent deployments. I believe in following the rules; I also believe in challenging the rules I do not agree with. I believe in challenging authority that is overbearing. That is as American as it gets. And, I do not agree with school uniforms. Some kids have more than others, better shoes, pants, etc. I don't believe we should have to restrict the rights of those who work hard to acquire nice things, just to avoid offending those who don't have as much. Get used to it!! That's life. Thanks to all of you who stood for this girl.

• toopoorformensa | May 21, 2013 at 7:51 pm |

I do not agree with school uniforms but my child's school has a uniform policy which we abide by. I'm sure you would do the same. As a 1stSgt, i'm sure you would hate for one of your troops circumvent you in a policy matter, as you might be the one that stopped the issue in it's tracks.

44. You are not an American you need to move to a Communist country where youre beliefs will be liked. Go The Heck AWAY from our Country. You should be deported!

45. Dragonfly734 | May 6, 2013 at 7:31 pm |

Kudos and its great to see a kid stand up for what she believes in!

46. Does your blog have a contact page? I’m having a tough time locating it but, I’d like

to send you an email. I’ve got some recommendations for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great blog and I look forward to seeing it expand over time.

47. Everyone of these teachers and administrators at this school should be shown the door. You are on a military facility. Letting the children show their support for their family members who are in harms way is commendable. Unfortunately these people are not. The sad fact that the schools are not in sync, since the high school allows one thing, while the middle school does not. Only allowing a shirt purchased from the school also sounds unethical. Not everyone on the base is a high ranking member of the military. Disallowing vulgar words or pictures, yes, Patriotic slogans, by all means should be allowed. How about the school sell Red shirts with Patriotic sayings, too.

48. Interesting how another school system has instituted cross dressing day, which the educational system apparently feels accomplishes some politically correct objective. With the national media, the educational system, and Washington all singing the same castrati chorus refrain, the future does not look good for the country.

God bless America, and God bless our troops !

49. Typical military entitled brat. "Dress code???? The rules don't apply to me"

50. Obama is evil | June 10, 2013 at 3:58 pm |

Facebook is now SCREENING replies that don't FLATTER OBAMA and his henchmen and women.

51. This wasnt about wearing a patriotic shirt. It was about the school allowing certain "non-uniform" clothing on casual days, and this girl wanted to wear something that wasn't on the approved list. What if she had wanted to wear an American flag bikini on casual friday because she wanted to support her dad? Would everyone still be hooping and hollering about this? The issue wasn't that it was a shirt supporting her dad; it was that the school still had a dress code on casual Friday and this girl's shirt didn't fit with that code. The only lesson she learned from this situation was that if you throw a temper tamtrum, you can get whatever you want.

52. Ray Reiss | June 14, 2013 at 9:02 am |

Another example of mindless bureaucrats who cannot think for themselves but only follow what they have been ordered to do from above. " We are the Professionals. We know what we are doing. We know what's best. Trust us. And give us more money!!! We need to take back our schools from these liberals who do not care about our kids or our country. They only care about themselves, their salaries and benefits.

53. Why does it take so much to keep these clowns in line? Just administrate the school, and stop micromanaging!

54. Gene,

"…they told CeJai’s mom, Cassandra Taylor, they have “designated days” to support the military…"

Read the article.

55. Ferndad,

You are incorrect and here is why; Texas has a test which is required in order to graduate called STAR. Further DoD schools overseas can not possibly prepare a sophomore at Bamberg HS for meeting graduation requirements in Robert G. Cole HS on Ft. Sam Houston Texas as an example.

The matter of DoD schools as superior to public schools is a matter of opinion but the debate for "…up to date no matter where is the world their military parent is sent." is completely untrue.

Al D'Adda

56. Penny Pinscher | April 29, 2013 at 12:45 pm |

"This keeps the kids up to date no matter where in the world their military parent is sent."

Not true. While it IS true that the same curriculum is used worldwide, DoD operates stateside schools in only 8 states. That means military children could be transferred with their parents to 42 other states without DoD schools. So much for keeping them up to date no matter where in the world their military parents are sent. Now that segretation is no longer an issue, there is no reason to continue to operate DoD schools in the United States. Education is a State responsibility. Lawmakers fight to keep military installations in their states because there are economic benefits to doing so (jobs, contracts, local businesses, etc.). It's time they take responsibility for the education of the children that come with those military installations.

57. Wm (Woman Marine),

If you are referring to myself as having never worn a uniform then you are mistaken; in fact I am still serving as we speak (24 years). That aside it makes no difference if one serves or does not serve, patriotism is as diverse as the population of America itself. Those of us who serve do so by choice as it is not mandatory but an all volunteer service. To quote you "Any member of a national identity (e.g. American) is expected to defend that identity ('the country')…" In your opinion then patriotism is mandatory? Read your post again.

Al D'Adda

58. well said

59. Alfred you are a complete basshole. I never in my life have heard so much bullcrap as your comment. Just because you don't have enough nerve to stand up for your country doesn't give you the right to belittle others that do!! If you have ever worn a uniform in a combat zone then it wasn't with me. I WILL ASSURE YOU OF THAT. When I was in combat I didn't put up with cowards.

60. So the child is now bound by the UCMJ? Since when? Comical you then go on the typical anti-Israel rant in a desperate attempt to try and win people over with your delusions.

61. What a great example she is to defy school rules!!
    "God forbid we have another opinion and want to take a stand" <—- exactly

62. oh lord here come the pro-lifers….

63. Yeah that's right, here we are. That argument cuts both ways. You pro abortionists have no problem letting the death row inmates off because the death penalty "reflects badly on our society"'. Only innocent life is unworthy of protection in your eyes.

64. Wm_Bjornson | April 30, 2013 at 11:51 am |

I have written two replies which had no other reason for their being CENSORED here than they contained opinions somewhat antithetical to the kneejerk responses so popular here. This site has not laid out their policies on what they will censor so I suppose I can be forgiven for having actually studied our history in detail and attempting to share it. I do NOT ASSERT anything, but simply ask that, before expressing opinion, we study that which we 'believe' to be true to see if it actually IS true before we celebrate ignorance as we see so well exampled here. Let me ask just one more question before I leave you sad people to watch your America sink into an historical footnote hollowed out by psychopathic greed and enslavement of a nonthinking herd content to 'believe' what they are told by people whose only purpose is to use them to enrich themselves. What is the difference between what we see in this story and what "Occupy!" was saying (Oh horrors!) in their identical protests against our new masters who now own our government?

The word for "to censor" is now "to moderate". Look at your parenthetical comment above for Wm, does that seem more than a 6th grade grammar school level response to you? Really? Good luck, Gunny. Four years of thinking like you, starting on my 17th birthday was enough for me. Know this, tho, were you lying on the ground in the open "With a bullet where [your] belt-plate should 'a' been" [Kipling], from experience I know my naive young butt would have been dragging yours back to cover. But, I only met a few career NCOs in the those four years in which I had confidence they would do the same for me and one of them was, in fact, a WM. Semper fidelis! (which does not mean semper fatuus)

65. Wes,

Yes the name calling and accusations on the coat tails of Wm above speak volumes to your naive approach to life in general. Both of you fail to understand the ideals for which many serve and have served. Once again they are as diverse as the nation itself, further you are an example of those who follow and do not lead. To imply ones patriotism based on a single response is telling of your true nature.

Al D'Adda

66. Wm

If your prior replies have not displayed then perhaps you should take this up with the moderator of this forum.

You did assert that patriotism was mandatory again here is a quote from your post "Any member of a national identity (e.g. American) is expected to defend that identity ('the country')…" This is your assertion that patriotism is mandatory according to you Wm.

The irony of Occupy is their use of technology supplied by the corporate greed they protest. Really when you think about it is self defeating to use the very technology that supports the "tyrants" of the corporate world to spread the word of their cause.

You are wrong again I am not a Gunny in the USMC I am an Infantryman in the US ARMY. Your assumptions again display your lack of logic and sound thought. My belly plate was always in its correct place but again your assumptions display your naive nature and paranoia. Do you really believe your own words?

Al D'Adda

67. Wm_Bjornson | April 30, 2013 at 11:59 pm |

Sorry, Al. That technology was supplied by many creative people few of whom earned very much compared to the Corporate types who took control of the technology and took millions out of other people's work. That intellectual property thief who stole facebook is a case in point, not that facebook is anything to take pride in.

68. Wm,

It really is about the attention for is it not? To blame "corporate types" for seizing an opportunity to earn money is a point of interest that you view as wrong or evil. What is interesting about your post is they all speak to the same theme, that you are the victim and have never been part of the problem nor the solution for that matter.

Al D'Adda

69. Wm_Bjornson | May 1, 2013 at 11:19 am |

Two things: Find the book "Snakes in Suits" by Dr Robert Hare, et al. This is a primer on the psychopathic personality 'disorder'. Hare may be the world's leading authority regarding this personality type. He estimates that 1:100 live human births is a psychopath. Secondly, please notice that the corporation, especially viewed as a "person", is a pure psychopath with only one moral value: Profit to itself with only external controls and no internal morality whatsoever. In fact, in America, it is against the law for a corporation to do things that might lower the payout to its shareholders. And, please, do not bring up corporate charity where a donation is worth several times its value in tax writeoffs. Corporate structure is a filter for psychopaths because they can and do do things routinely that will destroy a person with conscience ('burn out'). Elites and aristocracies have historically always emerged from the most psychopathic (conscienceless) subgroups such as the Teutonic elite of Europe which grew directly from the Rhine pirates of old. In any case, try the book and see what YOU think. And the key word here is 'THINK'. And, I just noticed, I get POINTS! -47 at this count. Kewl. We only really think when we disagree (hopefully) so I must be a 'stimulating' person! B'wahhahaha

70. Wm_Bjornson | May 1, 2013 at 9:59 pm |

Hey, Al. Go down to my reply to Kbrtz and give me your critique, if you will, Sir.

71. Wm,

I do enjoy a good argument form time to time. Opposition, in my opinion, is necessary in order to bring about change.

It hard to disagree with your points without first having read the book you endorse.

Al D'Adda

72. Wm_Bjornson | May 1, 2013 at 10:21 pm |

Robert A. Heinlein, a great scifi writer of the 50's (e.g. Stranger in a Strange Land) made that same proposal ('vets only') in some of his stories except he also added 'the vote'. No serve, no vote. You earn your right to vote. That's a tough call, tho. Lincoln? Um… Well, Lincoln. The rest since then have all been corrupt. Teddy Roosevelt's face should be chiseled off Rushmore for his role in the setting up of the private Rothschild/Warburg bank that we call the Federal Reserve which is our greatest parasite. They loan us our own money and charge us interest for it! Among many other corrupt things. Look up Eustus Mullins and read his VERY WELL referenced book if you'd like to know how all that happened. Jekyll Island, a blackmailed Woodrow Wilson (see Wikipedia), and much more including the simultaneous establishment of the IRS to directly feed the Fed. Ah bin studyin' our history, and being a scientist, I like to know how things REALLY work.

73. toopoorformensa | May 21, 2013 at 7:15 pm |

I wouldn't call her a "brat", she's 12 and wants to support her dad. I completely blame the mom on this one for going about it the wrong way. Emotions vs Logic, the battle gets different with age and mom lost

74. toopoorformensa | May 21, 2013 at 7:27 pm |

Nobody is saying be quiet, nobody is saying she shouldnt support her dad. The only argument against any of this is that they went about it the wrong way.

75. toopoorformensa | May 21, 2013 at 7:31 pm |

well i'm gonna ask my Sgt if i can have friday off because it's my moms birthday. If he says no i'm going straight to the news because i should support my mom! Screw going to the SSgt or the Gunny, screw my Lt's open door policy. Request Mast is a right but i'm just gonna pick up the phone and help fox news sell commercials! 'Merica!!!!!

76. But yet it was OK for the blacks in the 60s to disobey rules and laws that were unjust. They didn't go threw the proper channels either. They didn't appeal to the government, or if they did they were told no. sometimes the only way to bring about change is to go out there and make a stand as this young woman and her family did.

77. Unfortunately, the "government" is no longer in the hands of the representatives Wm, its in the hands of the bureaucrats. The "representative" have ceded the government to them and with it OUR power. The government no resides in the many little departments, bureaus, and agencies, that dictate, order, and yes even, control our very lives. 250 years ago the Founders could not have conceived of the National Security Agency, the Central Intelligence Agency, or even a standing Army, Navy, Marines or Air Force (heck, they couldn't conceive of the "air plane") yet here were are today having given over the countyr to them.

We can vote out all 435 US Representative, all 100 Senators, the Vice President, and the President, and start anew after impeaching all 9 sitting US Supreme Court Justices and it will matter not one bit for those 546 men and women are only the "appearance" of power in this country today – the REAL POWER is held in the hands of the MILLIONS of civil servant bureaucrats and million+ service members. Most of those people want nothing but good for the US, but many are bad bad BAD apples and we know NOT who they are, we did NOT vote for them, we cannot RECALL them, we cannot IMPEACH them and they are the people who do evil in this country against our civil rights and our freedoms.

It is the bureaucracy that has stolen our freedom because it is the bureaucracy that is unaccountable to We The People.

78. wmbjornson | June 10, 2013 at 10:45 pm |

Jane, this is the Big Lie that is currently being used against your perception and I suggest you restudy your opinion here in the light of a few thoughts which may give you a new direction to examine, not accept (!), just to examine.

Evolutionarily and historically, 'governments' are the buffer/management layer between the takers and the doers. That's it. Herd management for maximum harvesting of human energies to the ruling class and their sycophants (think bush) and defense of the ruling class. Also, the tool of the ruling class when they hunger for another group's resources. Government is a machine. The difference between us and historical standard human organization is that the 'ruling class' that owns our government is theoretically us. We have representatives who echo our voices in the great discussion of state. We are OUR OWN ruling class. WE, The People, drive the machine. This is the heart of our Constitution.

But, do we have that now? My answer is that we do not. We no longer have our 'representatives' in Congress, per the media we have our 'leaders' in Congress. Those leaders are connected through 'K' street via the Corporate chain directly to the ruling class. The 'representatives', our representatives, are selected by candidate money, only secondarily by our votes. And, as you say, the cold hand of the ruling class reaches even into the bureaucracy itself. But, it is our ruling class that is steering our government, that defines its quality and how it manages us, the herd. By pointing your dissatisfaction at the government, you do exactly what you have been led to do. But your dissatisfaction really comes from a source hidden to your perception, blocked by rationalization and lies. There IS an elite, Jane, and the government is their tool, we have allowed them to take it away from us. It is so in all human groups. It wasn't supposed to be so, here. That it is so is what would destroy the dreams of the Founding Fathers were they to know. We don't need to change the government, we need to excise the tumor of our current elite. Your children will love you for it, and so will your wallet.