Why You Should Score the New Commissary App

The Defense Commissary Agency yesterday released their official coupon app which pairs with the commissary Rewards Card. You can download it here by clicking the link from your iPhone.

Update 2014: The app is also available here for Android.

While I was hoping the app would double as both a coupon loader and the card itself so that my checker could scan my phone and I could leave my card at home, it doesn’t What it does do, however, makes it worth the download.

What the app does: The app allows you to load new coupons to your rewards card, eliminating the need for you to load them onto it via your home computer. It also allows you to view what coupons you have on your card, which you had that have expired and which you have already redeemed. It also contains a commissary store locator.

The good: I loved that I could use the app to see the coupons currently on my card. In the past I rarely used the card simply because I could never remember what the heck was on it. A few swipes today as I was walking through the store and problem solved. I also loved that I could use it to load coupons. In the past if I forgot to do so before leaving home I was sunk. Today I stood in front of the commissary for a moment checking out the new available coupons so I could make sure I was getting the best deals possible.

The bad: I found logging in a little cumbersome. Instead of allowing me to use my alternate ID that I set-up when I registered, it required the bar code numbers from the card — but not all of them, only 11 of them. I had to enter them two or three times before I got it right.

Want to learn about more military friendly apps? Check out Military.com’s Best App page!

The store locator also doesn’t seem to be entirely accurate. Although our local Fort Campbell commissary moved locations more than a year ago, the app, which was released 12 hours before I used it, included the old address. That makes me worry that maybe other address are off, too. While you are probably thinking “yeah, but how often do you use the store locator anyway,” consider this — you only use it when you don’t know where the commissary is … and it wouldn’t it be important then for the address to be right?

(The commissary at Fort Campbell is now located on Indiana Ave.)

Also, like I mentioned above, I was also hoping the app would double as my card. But no dice there.

And, finally, many patrons won’t be able to use the app at all. At the moment it is only available to iPhone users.

Conclusion: Overall I appreciate the ease of use the app gives the rewards card. I’ll definitely be using my rewards card more now that the app has been released. That being said, commissary officials probably need to look into making sure the information on it is accurate.

Amy is the editor in chief of Military.com’s spouse and family blog SpouseBuzz.com. A journalist by trade, Amy also covers spouse and family news for Military.com where she is the managing editor of spouse and family content. An Army wife and mother of two, Amy has been featured as a subject matter expert on CNN.com, NPR, Fox News, NBC, CBS, ABC and BBC as well as in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal and Washington Post. Follow her on twitter @amybushatz.

15 Comments on "Why You Should Score the New Commissary App"

1. Have you tried scanning the rewards card into another app such as Keyring? That's where I store all my loyalty, library, etc. cards.

• Amy_Bushatz | August 9, 2013 at 1:42 pm |

i havent — anyone else try that though?

• Amy_Bushatz | August 9, 2013 at 1:42 pm |

p.s. I am the worst app utilizer ever. I am the very definition of a "late adopter." You shouldve seen the kicking and screaming I did as I was dragged from a blackberry to an iphone.

2. That's what I do also, use keying for my reward cards. Haven't tried the app yet though. I guess that's my next down load lol.

3. Michele Nagorski | August 9, 2013 at 4:55 pm |

My thoughts is that the commissary system is 3-5 years too late on the REWARDS card/electronic coupons. They lost our family many years ago since they chose not to stay up to date and we can get better deals from the local grocery stores such as Safeway, Giant, etc.and they buy and sell local porduce. You cannot beat that–supporting local farmers .

4. I have never heard of a rewards card put out by the commissary. I was just at ours a few days ago, didn’t see anything about it.

• Amy_Bushatz | August 12, 2013 at 8:03 am |

It was released a year ago — at Campbell they have them available at each register. Just ask your checker or at the customer service counter!

5. Love the new app!! I used it today and saved $41.00. The cashier said “that’s the most coupons I’ve seen loaded on the card”. I told her its all because of the new app :)

6. iPhone? Really? Did you miss the fact that Android phones area selling at a rate of 4 to 1 over Apple's iPhone and all you have is the apple app? Really? You are so out of touch with the world!

• I thought the same thing! We have always had Android smartphones. A lot of my friends are switching to Android when they upgrade. Commissaries really missed the mark on this one!!!

7. I was so excited when I read this in the newsletter, then come to find out that it was only available to iPhone users… was disappointed. But I hope they make one for android users real soon; it would work great for all of us that are currently overseas and trying to save money on groceries. Give us an update when it does become availabe for android please!!

8. Just wish the app was compatible with the android smartphones. I really like our commissaries here in Colorado and can usually find some great deals.

9. So it’s electronic coupons? No paper being used?

• Amy_Bushatz | August 15, 2013 at 9:57 am |

The coupon card and corresponding app are electronic, yes. However, you cant still use paper coupons as well. You cannot, however, use a paper coupon AND an e-coupon on the same item :-)

10. Penny Tritthart | August 22, 2013 at 7:48 pm |

We need the app for android phones. There are now more and more of us than iPhone.