All Commissaries Will Soon Scan IDs

Like we reported in October, you will soon be asked to present your military ID card to be scanned every time you make a purchase at the commissary. The plan, commissary officials told us, will allow commissary officials to track information on who is shopping and where.

The roll-out, which was to happen in batches of 20 stores, should be be finished by mid-January, commissary officials told us this week. About 200 of the 245 stores worldwide are already participating. That means if you aren’t already having your ID card scanned at your store, you will likely soon be seeing a notice like this one seen Dec. 30 at the Fort Campbell, Ky. commissary.

The system will capture every shopper’s card ID number, rank, military status, branch of service, age, household size, and zip codes of residence and duty station of each shopper. It will not retain name, address, or phone number information, officials said in October.

“In addition to verifying customers as authorized commissary patrons, we’re gaining information that will give us a better understanding of our patrons, allowing the agency to provide the commissary benefit more effectively and efficiently,” said Joseph H. Jeu, DeCA’s director.

The few commissary checkers we’ve spoken to since the announcement think the plan will cut down on a lot of commissary fraud. They said they are constantly shocked by how many non-authorized shoppers or people with expired dependent ID cards attempt to use the commissary. Scanning the ID cards will make sure no non-authorized shoppers get through.

But we are wondering — have you experienced any hiccups in the new system? Do you feel like the transition to scanning IDs has been good and smooth — or do you think it’s causing problems?

Amy is the editor in chief of’s spouse and family blog A journalist by trade, Amy also covers spouse and family news for where she is the managing editor of spouse and family content. An Army wife and mother of two, Amy has been featured as a subject matter expert on, NPR, Fox News, NBC, CBS, ABC and BBC as well as in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal and Washington Post. Follow her on twitter @amybushatz.

96 Comments on "All Commissaries Will Soon Scan IDs"

1. This is news? | January 2, 2014 at 9:32 am |

Every commissary I have ever been to has done ID checks both at the door coming in and the register checking out. Scanning them is definitely new and interesting, but these “new” checks Spouse Buzz keeps reporting on aren’t news to me or anyone else at the several bases we have lived on or near over the years. It takes all of 30 seconds out of my shopping trip. Time to move on and focus on the bigger issues of pensions, retirements, and Prime coverage loss. If they need to do this to prove we want and need commissaries, let ’em do their jobs.

• Amy_Bushatz | January 3, 2014 at 7:48 am |

This IS, in fact, news. The commissary may be looking at your ID at the door, but they have never scanned the IDs at checkout before last fall. And not every commissary does look at them at the door. I can't remember the last time someone looked at mine at the door — and regularly I do NOT get asked for it at check out. Your experience may not be the same as everyone else's.

At SpouseBuzz we pride ourselves at creating conversations around all the issues — including pensions, retirements and Prime coverage loss all of which we have reported on in the past.

If you aren't happy with our coverage on any given topic, we regularly accept guest bloggers and invite you to submit something as well. Thanks.

• This is about them now storing all sorts of information on what you purchase, when you purchase etc…this isn't a 30 second look, it's a huge data mining operation.

• gee willikers | January 7, 2014 at 5:19 pm |

they don’t need to save your name address etc they have your ID# what we choose to spend our money on is our business PERIOD. inventory should give them enough information on what’s being bought. Invasion of privacy I say! if they want to drive personnel o ff base to the big box stores, this is how it will start.

• Yep. Just like the civilian stores do with your discount cards..

• Except those civilian cards are Opt In, you don't HAVE to have one to shop, and you can provide false or no information should you choose too on the application. All I ever give them is a zip code. This is a no ability to opt out program

• They stopped checking at the door (entering the commissary) 15 years ago or so.

• The only time the commissary that I use asks for ID is at checkout.

• Karletta S Hart | January 23, 2014 at 9:03 pm |

I agree with the ID check for Legal Shoppers at the commissary. Legal Shoppers can have guests in the store with them, but, I remember when ONLY Military Shoppers we're allowed in the Store. And, except for the Disabled that need help shopping, I wish they would go back to only Legal shoppers in the Commissary. And, as For, Closing the Commissaries, I think that should be reconsidered, The Young Spouses who are supporting their Families while their Spouses are away, use the commissary to take Advantage of the Lower Prices for their Children, and themselves, when the Prices downtown exceed their income. And, Retirees use the commissary because it is the Store that allows them to be able to put Food on the Table. And, If I remember correctly, it was part of the benefits that was Promised upon Retirement. I hope their are some Retirees in Congress that will support these Families that need the commissary, to include Active Duty. Put yourselves in their Place.

2. It's mainly for fraud and black marketing.

"Excuse me ma'am, why are you buying five bags of Jasmin rice every month?".

• I’m glad to see it. I hope it will cut down on the extended “family” shopping that I’ve seen at a couple of posts. The folks at Sam’s club make sure that their benefits are not being exploited by non-members, I don’t mind the military doing the same thing.

• Our Commissaries are being ABUSED just like the VA System is being ABUSED….. If the government investigators will check they can match the same people up at both places? The pattern is identical for all to see……THE EXTENDED FAMILY CRAP…..Visit your local VA facility and SEE who appears to have crowded the waiting room areas, and the rec room areas???

• Sorry, if the commissary were being "abused" by non card holders then it wouldn't be on the chopping block. It is just not happening as much as people seem to think. We NEED people to utilize it if we want to keep it.

• Who are these people?

• Ummm, because I'm Asian? There are quite a few of us associated with the Military.

• I think you may be missing the point. While this measure will help with cutting down on fraud, it also opens up a Pandora's box. Do you really want the Military/Government scrutinizing what you are putting in your shopping cart? Think for a moment what that could mean for all of us in the future.

• Peter Hartrich | January 7, 2014 at 5:05 pm |

I have 100 kids!

• Perhaps the person, like me, has 7 children! Sometimes, those smaller bags are cheaper by pound than a large one, hence the five bags. Don't judge, you don't know.

• Stephen Cooney | January 8, 2014 at 9:13 pm |

Exactly. I am in Guam and am pretty certain loads of locals use expired cards or utilize the commissary more often than authorized based on their status.

• That is not going to stop the fraud or black market! I believe they know it as well. It's the military and their spouses that allow for the black market especially in overseas locations! It's blatant .. And bold they ( spouse or active duty) sign non authorized individuals on the post/base they shop and exchange cash right at the register. AAFES and DECA don't care how they make their money in Area1 Casey/crc they don't check ID when you enter like every other area .. They have folks come up to the area just to get into the commissary.. But it all starts with those authorized escorting non authorized leadership should make a stand …allowing it is supporting it!

• why Jasmin rice?

3. How secure is the system this collected information is being placed into? Social security numbers in some instances are also being placed into the system. This has a flavor of the NSA phone data collection scheme. Our government I think is collecting much to much information on its' FREE citizens. Must they and you know all?

• Richard Christiansen | January 3, 2014 at 8:44 am |

Let me start by saying THUMBS UP.
      The part that concerns me is that with the SSN's being in the system is what are the chances that the DECA computer system won't get hacked and ALL OF THAT PERSONAL INFORMATION GETS LOST.

• retired USAF | January 3, 2014 at 10:47 am |

The SSN has been removed from ID cards upon renewal. The card now has DOD numbers. If you still have SSN on your ID card you should make it a point to renew your Military Card.

• I think you have more to worry about from Google and other on-line companies than the government. If you are on Active Duty a dependent or civilian authorized to use the commissary (mostly in overseas areas) the government has more information on you than it can handle. As for the security, I doubt very much if security of this information has been taken into account. There thinking is it's on-base, it's only for a small group of highly screened people, what could happen??? Per 1000 of the population of the US, there is got to be a higher number of more computer literate people on Active Duty. How many do we throw out each year for various other violations, this could be a great source of information to get back or just to sell. Also you could also have a young troop or dependent at their quarters with a home computer that now a days could launch the old space shuttles, who gets board and decides they want to have some fun and hack in to the commissary's system.

4. isn`t that racist or something? i mean have to show an ID, oh the agony

5. craig savage | January 3, 2014 at 9:00 am |

This is just the first step to give them a reason to shut them down. They will use the data or manipulate the data to justify them closing shutting them down.

• That's exactly their plan! Keep track of the numbers then manipulate them..our government at work!

6. rank, military status, branch of service, age, household size, and zip codes of residence and duty station of each shopper

What good is this information in determining whom is eligible for benefits?

• Exactly! It amazes me how ignorant and blind we can be sometimes… Will they be storing my personal shopping habits along with my personal information or just the shopping habits of the folks at each commissary as a whole, you know, so we can be better served and the shelves can be better stocked? It is being sold to us now as"reducing fraud" later, once the bugs are worked out, it will be sold as " helping to create a leaner, healthier force."

• gee willikers | January 12, 2014 at 12:21 pm |

we had a situation where the powers that be wanted to build a juvenile justice facility but once it was built there was no guarantee it would remain JUST juvenile. it’s indeed a Pandora’s box.

• Last time I looked at my ID card my age, household size and zip code were not on it!

• No, but all that data is stored in a database associated with your ID card, and it very simple to mine that data, or anything else the military knows about you once that barcode is scanned.

7. I have never been asked for an ID at the Travis AFB Commissary. We just walk in, shop, pay and leave.

8. And in other news, 42000 military members gave had their social security information stolen in a commissary data breech…..

• Whose SSN is on the id anymore? Mine isn’t, non of the kids’ are, even DH has some generic number. The stuff they are tracking is the same info you give out for the grocery shopping reward cards. I don’t get the outrage.
      You show your id at the Doctor, the dentist, the pharmacy. We let CYS do HIPPA violations with that asinine SNAP review meeting and no one blinks an eye about any of those things.
      At some bases, you scan you ID just to get on post….but heaven forbid we have to scan an ID to buy groceries.

9. At the very least it will drive up prices because of fewer shoppers.

10. As someone who has spent a LARGE chunk of their life in security. This is a massive mining operation, and since we ALL know just how great the government is at handling it's systems, and websites, and technologies, there is nothing to worry about, right…right? They tell you exactly what they are going to be storing, but they have neglected to inform us of what other metadata may be collected. They can collect EVERYTHING, from what you purchased to time of day to YES, the SS numbers. Legally they are only obligated to tell you what they store "long term"…and long term is a very relative term.

The only good thing about this is maybe it will cut down on some of the fraud like extended family shopping, divorced parents using a child ID for non child related purposes, GS employees or contractors (and yes I've seen the "quick ID flash so no one notices") etc

Frankly I despise the commissary here in DC, I avoid it like the plague when I can…this just gives me another reason to not go.

• Peter Hartrich | January 7, 2014 at 5:09 pm |

in korea the whole off base population is included in "extended relative shopping". Also known as black marketing.

• Peter Hartrich | January 7, 2014 at 5:15 pm |

my suggestion is that the Servicemember should be held accountable for the korean spouses multiple per day shopping trips by having those amounts reported to the IRS as whole sale business purchases and subject to income taxation. That will force the servicemember to take away the wife's id card or go shopping together. I have personally seen the same person make five taxi loads of groceries off post before lunch time. that is not for personal consumption.

• Yeah, because taking your spouses ID Card away is how we solve the problem. In Japan, the base I was stationed in barred a Spouse from all base services, except Medical/dental in which case she was escorted. CAF boards were common and removed many problem children/spouses.

• Haha, yes. My direct thought (although I am retired and never use a commissary now) was "I guess no one is buying liquor and the comm anymore now that they are logging it!"

11. If it bothers you that someone is collecting data on you, quit shopping at the store. Hopefully this will curtail the shopping for extended family members, I have seen carts in the commissary that have food enough for a family of 30 members. Feel the same tracking should apply to PX purchases Recently saw a shopping cart in the PX with six rice cookers in it.

• some of those are stock up trips…for example one of our friends makes a trip to the commissary 2x a year, buys two carts of meat and dairy and freezes it for consumption for the year

• If you're shopping at the commissary, and you want to buy presents & gifts for family and friends, why would it surprise anyone to have 6 cookers? And why not buy 6 there? Does the commissary not want the business? And if they bought 6 50-lb. bags of rice to go with it, so what? Does the end user or recipient matter? If I want to (or need to) buy that many for whatever reason, do you suggest I go to the commissary (thus supporting it) or do I go to Wal-Mart (and support them) just because of quantity? If I'm entitled to us it, and it's advantageous for me, then no matter what or how many I buy, my purchases help keep the commissaries going.

12. Years ago, and I do mean years ago, NO-ONE was allowed to enter either the commissary or BX/PX/NEX without a current, VALID, military ID card. So what exactly is the problem or issue with this seemingly "back to the future" ID check? The card/s were checked not only at the door; but also at the checkout station by the cashier. Although they did not "swipe" the card to collect information, they DID check the card, for validity, and that the card belonged to whomever was presenting it. In Europe, during the 1960s and 1970's, family members, such as a service members parents or his/her spouse's parents who came to visit were allowed to enter the BX/PX/NEX by showing an AMERICAN Passport; however, they WERE NOT ALLOWED TO PURCHASE ANYTHING. They WERE NOT allowed to enter the commissary even then.
    I do not foresee this becoming a problem, except in the minds of those who believe everything should be open to anyone. You may call me an AF Retired SrNCO.

• i have no problem wwith them checking IDS….I DO have an issue with them collecting and storing personal information

13. Linwood Windsor | January 4, 2014 at 9:26 pm |

So I have the same card since 1984, Will the commissary require me to up grade the ID card .I visit the commissary about every 90 days when I visit the medical unit. Since I cross a $20.00 bridge to get there, I will take a cooler and get no more than what the cooler will hold.

• Amy_Bushatz | January 5, 2014 at 1:04 pm |

I just had a similar question from another reader — Im going to talk to DeCA and find out for you! Thanks.

• Amy,
        I work for the Commissary. We have a way of processing a shopper who has an older indefinite non-barcode ID card. I am not in a position to divulge how; however, there is no need for somebody to upgrade their ID card to shop the commissary at this time.

• I was wondering the same thing. I retired in 2000 and was recently told I would not have to get a new ID card as part of the new "expiring" cards issued. Mine still says INDEF and has notinh to scan

• If you are entitled to shop and you shop for your own use, buy whatever you need. Its the abuse that needs to be cut out. You are allowed to buy for your own use, not to take the churches food pantry money and buy for their shelves.

14. I think the only place commissaries should be are overseas, there are plenty of shopping places in the states to go buy food locally and support the town the posts and bases are located. Here in Germany all I ever get is the meats and some baggies or toilet paper and all the veggies or canned goods on the economy. I think prices are better locally than the inflated cost for the commissary price on items. They say tax free but it sure doesn't take shipping from all over the world into consideration.

• There are bases in the U.S., in the northern tier, that do not have ready access to food stores in the local community when the roads to town are closed. If their commissaries are closed, they have no place to obtain food when winter storms of two or three days hit.

• See how far your retired pay goes without that commissary benefit, and you'll change your tune. Dairy and beef costs nearly twice as much out in town, and spices and herbs are 3x more expensive at the local grocer. Closing commissaries would be another reduction in my already rather meager benefits, atop the premiums I'm paying for my free healthcare for life.

15. My only concern is that they say your name, address, etc. is not retained. If they keep the ID number, then they have your name, address, etc.

16. A great way for big brother to also track what you are buying & how much you are buying. Buy 4 cases of beer every week & they know it. Buy tobacco & they know it. It gives them just cause to investigate you.

17. It really doesn't work,because the people with the ID bring in friends and other family members and they all shop us being just one ID and Cash.And people who do have ID cards are buying food for their Businesses.I have seen this for myself.But No one say's or does anything.It is the almighty dollar.I said something to a few cashier's and they tell me the commissary doesn't care as long as the store make's money.

18. I agree with Retired SNCO. I’m a military brat, I’m an veteran, and I’m the wife of a retired Air Force NCO. ID cards are given for a reason let’s use them for other then medical appointments, ice scrapers, and cashing checks in the BX. We need to use them as Identification Cards!The people that have cards have them for a reason they served their country or they are married to some one who served our country. Proud to show and oh so happy to once again have my ID counted!

19. Amy Proctor | January 7, 2014 at 6:57 pm |

The Obama administration and his Dept of Defense are planning to get rid of Commissaries and PXs except for on OCONUS bases. I don't think this new ID card scan has anything to do with improving services; I think they are searching for justifications to do get rid of this benefit.

20. If you voted for Obama then your now enjoying the benefits of his wealth redistribution and health care. Nothing comes free.

21. I am so grateful for the priviledge of shopping in the commissary that if they ask me to stand on my head I would if I could. We are so blessed to have served this wonderful country that I thank God for the honor

• Dawn, that's just how I feel and I live in the DC area. To the commissaries, I say thank you for your service.

22. In my area they do comparison pricing with the local stores with the highest prices so you are paying the same plus the service charge equal to tax and then some in some cases plus the tip for the bagger an the one who takes the groceries to the car. You are not saving money here. I can go down the street a few blocks and get most items for at least a dollar less than at the commissary. We stopped making the trip to the commissary a few years ago it was costing me more to make the trip plus veggies and fruit in many cases were not fit to carry out of the store brought the items to the attention of the head of the department and got excuses no changes were made along with the fact that the buys were picked up before store hours when some of the employees came in to work and those were gone by the time the store opened, this group ran the commissary so much going on in my store. The information they collect I also am suspicious that that is not what they are really up to and it is going to lead to more just don't need all the hassle, that is my opinion and do miss some things that I could buy out there and only they carried them but for the few things it still is not worth the trip can live without them.

• The Commissary sells at cost + 5% surcharge to pay for buildings, supplies, utilities etc. Wages are paid through appropriated funds. You cannot possible save money by shopping downtown for all your groceries. I have been on both sides. Lived where there was not a commissary and my grocery specnding went through the roof! You complain about a benefit that is provided to you and you think they charge too much, but you are ignorant of the facts. You are the type of uniformed customer that makes statements based on conjecture, rumors and misinformation. If you repeat it enough it must be true. You are the type of customer we do not need. Keep bad mouthing the benefits and not using them and they will go away. Military Clubs, Movie Theaters, Bowling Alleys and othe MWR are going away due to lack of patronage. Once they are gone, they don't come back.

• You obviously don't comparison shop Ron. Here in the DC area, between the HORRIBLE commissaries and the number of stores it is almost always cheaper for me to shop sales and local farms vs buying anything from them.

• I found many items to be more expensive at the commissary where I did my shopping. I brought this to the attention of the commissary manager, on more than one occasion, with the assurance it would be looked into. After seeing NOTHING being done about the price inequities I made the decision to no longer patronize the commissary in my area. Whereas the ID scanning shouldn't affect me, I feel this has a nefarious data mining purpose!!

23. We clearly save money by shopping at the commissary once a month. We purchase non-perishable dry goods, laundry products, canned goods, cereal, coffee, etc. Our estimate is a savings of about 30% over local stores with the exception of warehouse clubs. However, we live in a condo with limited storage, so not having to buy the large quantities sold by the warehouse clubs is a real benefit for us as well as the low prices.

24. I DO take my Mom with me when I go, though she does not buy anything. I often stop there on my way through town to save gas to from her doctor appointments in another town. She is disabbled. I am so HAPPY not to have to chose to either leve her in a hot car, or not be able to stop (I would of course be forced into the second!)! I realize someone, somewhere is GOING to break the rules, but do we alll have to pay the price? And, I do agree with another poster, they are just gathering info so they argue as to why closing all of them in CONUS is a good idea. For MANY veterans, it is a blessing, and one of the benefits they count on to stretch their shrinking dollars.

25. You have to be a smart shopper at the commissary and know what the prices are for the items you buy the most often. The commissary has a "price cycle" just like any off-base grocery store. You must keep notes and be able to spot when the price cycle for the item you want is at or near the bottom. Otherwise you will find the price at the top of the cycle is more than Walmart or another off-base store charges for the same item. Add in the cost of the 5% surcharge tax, plus the bagger's tip, plus the tip for the person who runs the grocery special cart out to your vehicle, and you are lucky if you break even compared to the off-base grocery stores. You have to know what items are cheaper at the commissary and what the bottom of the price cycle price is. Buy in advance when the price is low, instead of waiting until you are out of an item and then pay the peak price. Coupons help too.

26. I’m lost. Your info is already collected and used by DoD. I don’t care if my card is scanned. I’m an active service member. If it keeps divorced spouses, the ones who hide and won’t turn in cards from using something they don’t deserve, go for it DeCA.

Kick them out!!

27. Willis C Grays | January 8, 2014 at 6:18 pm |

I think it is a good idea especailly with the proposal to cut downsizing or closing the commissaries altogether and maybe the higher up will get an idea just how much we depend on the commissaries stateside . For the retirees and active duty Military it's going to be like closing the gas station on base and having to purchase gas on the local economy. There goes another one of our benefits cut. How much more are they going to take from us?

28. What about those who are listed as 100% Disabled Veterans? They may not have an ID card, other than a Veterans Affairs ID Card, yet they and their family are certainly entitled to the same base privileges including the commissary as any other servicemember.

• Permanent 100% DVs need to go to DEERS with documentation in order to get a privilege card. It looks like the yellow dependent ID. Once they get that card they will have authoriztion to shop at the Commissary and, I believe, the Exchange and MWR.

29. I just got my I D renewed last year and it is not a scan card. As a retired SNCO my card also says indef. Will we have to get new cards again?

• Hello GTD – My I.D. says SNCO on it also with an Indef on it ,,,,,,,, the card is fine to use everyday! You only have to get a new I.D. when you turn age 65 and Start collecting Medicare if you are eligible, Ok!

30. As an older retiree, my ID card does not have all the bells and whistles that the recently issued ones have. Do this mea I have to get a new ID?

• No, the Commissary can input info off of your card. However, if you do not want your SSN inputted (as that is the only number usable on the older ID card), then you might want to think about getting a new card with a barcode on it.

31. I think it's a great idea. Maybe it will help keep unauthorized shoppers out. If you have current ID card your social security and other personal info should not be a problem.

32. i have gone now to our commissary a lot sincew I retired in 1968, My bas pay at that time was alittle over four hundred dollars a month as an e 7, half of my base pay was what I got for 21 years. I was alays glad hat I has priviledges at the comm.cause it provided me with help, even tho I had to take a second civilian job.Nowadays an e-7 with over twenty years gets a base pay of over 5,000.00 If they close the comm'swhere is my advantage versus grorcery stores that charge over 4.00 for milk, 4.00 for cereal,breads are higher,cheeses,and a multitude of items that are much higher I'll have to do like a lot of seniors by chekin the trash for edible items…Yes saving for the rick and losing for the poor

33. MASTERMECH48 | January 10, 2014 at 10:01 pm |

"Commissary officials hope capturing the data can help them better meet the shopping desires of customers." That statement implies a feed back system for the customers to "better meet the shopping desires" of the customers so, WHERE IS THE FEED BACK SYSTEM???? Sure glad I read this bit now, I'm going to print it out and go "huntin" for my local commissary OIC and get an answer.

34. Our ID's have been being scanned here for since the new year. I have no issue with that. But I don't see why they continue to pay someone to check the ID (flashed) at the door. That is a waste of money. They will catch anyone trying to scam the system much better with the scanning at the register.

35. My first thought when reading this was that they're doing it in an attempt to begin the process of closing INCONUS commissaries (I would imagine that their "data" will somehow come out to show that they shouldn't be kept open). I'm not sure where others who say the commissary is too expensive live, but I would have a rough time keeping our current food budget if I had to shop out in town. I've tried it. I use coupons. I check the "double coupon" specials at our local grocery stores…even with that, the commissary is almost always less expensive, and if it is more expensive for a particular item, it is usually only by pennies. Just today, when I went into one of my local grocery stores to return a redbox movie, I noticed that there were some apples on sale for $1.79/lb (did I say they were "on sale?")….they same type of apples that I just saw at the commissary yesterday for .88/lb. Part of the perks of being a military family is the benefit of being able to grocery shop at the commissary, one which this struggling family of 5 certainly appreciates!

36. Tracy Locke | January 13, 2014 at 5:21 pm |

Does this include the hospitals? I shop at the hospital VA when I have a doctor's appointment. I have medical disability. I do not have a standard military ID card, only a medical card.

37. A Colonel's wife | January 14, 2014 at 10:28 am |

As a military spouse and employee with DeCA, I see no problem with scanning ID's at the Commissary. As a dependent, I have enjoyed the benefit of shopping at the Commissary for 26+ years. As an employee, I have had countless attempts of authorized shoppers bringing in guests to shop. The patron shows their ID and leaves or will expect their guest to pay for the purchases. There have been instances where the method of payment has been exchanged in my presence and I again explain to them that I cannot witness any exchange, therefore I cannot process their payment. They will lose their shopping privileges as a result of this. It constitutes fraud. Despite their usual reply of, " We have always been able to do this. When did this change? Is this something new?" My reply is simply, not while I am working or at my register. If this has been allowed in the past it is because someone is not doing their job properly. It is is in the regulations. The most frustrating part is that the authorized shopper will come in with multiple guests , have 4 or 5 shopping carts filled to the brim, and the method of payment is several EBT (Welfare) cards. Legally the employees at the Commissary are not allowed to verify that the EBT cards match the name on the ID. It is considered privileged information. I am hoping that by scanning the ID cards this will eliminate this blatant fraud being committed by the authorized shoppers. Especially at Self Check Out (SCO's) registers, we have had countless patrons committing fraud and blatant theft when the attendants attention is focused on assisting a patron at another self-check out register. At our store, we have had dependents scan their items for purchase, load them in their basket, and walk out without paying when the attendant's back is turned. We have even had patrons stacking cheaper cuts of meat on top of more expensive cuts, scan the the cheaper item on top, and place it in the bag, or scanning a coupon and placing a blank piece of paper in the self check out machine. Sadly, those committing the fraud eat better than the rest of us hard working Americans. I find it offensive that these patrons are knowingly committing fraud and not being held accountable.

38. Many moons ago ID's were checked at the door. No ID, no entry.This ensured that patrons were authorized to be there.On a recent trip I saw two woman each pushing a cart loaded with mostly meats and five other people following them around.I had to wonder if all of them had ID's and how many people they were feeding.I agree with the ID checks.

39. FE Warren AFB Has been scanning IDs since December